GDT: Sabres @ Flyers - November 1, 2023 - 7:00PM, TNT/MAX/MSG-B📺WGR📻

SabresBaltimore

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

That was a nice one to come home to. Both the NHL and SportsNet packages showed no highlights for the second period. Did literally nothing happen?

It was really gunky. There was a stretch from maybe 14:00 to maybe 8:00 where there was a whistle every 25 seconds and neither team had real possession, the ice was really bad and that contributed. But eventually Philly owned that period. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bg17 said:

I thought they stunk but in question is your comment that UPL was not very good. You’re wrong but there’s always a need for some to go the contrarian route. Carry on. 

No, read it again. I didn't say he was "not very good" but I didn't think he made a ton of great saves like some suggest either. A lot of Philly plays were scrambles near the goal and they shot wildly and off target and a lot of it was just hack desperation not tough skilled shots. Several times the net was wide open and they just didn't follow through. They drive the net but they don't shoot well so a big body guy (any big body guy) is really all you need. 

Now on another night they get luck and bounces and they hack in 6 or 7 on him in the exact same game. 

So to sum, UPL wasn't bad by any means, but he didn't have to be actually good. 

Edited by PerreaultForever
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

No, read it again. I didn't say he was "not very good"

You earlier “I am going to swim against the current here and say I don't think UPL was all that good”

Are you truly differentiating “not all that good” and “not very good”? 

47 minutes ago, bg17 said:

You earlier “I am going to swim against the current here and say I don't think UPL was all that good”

Are you truly differentiating “not all that good” and “not very good”? 

Ya, like I explained, imo he was fine, he didn't do anything bad but we didn't win because of outstanding goaltending. We won because they can't shoot/score the way we can. Not a chance we beat a good team playing like we did. Not a chance. 

6 hours ago, JohninMinn. said:

I'm thinking his performance is not sustainable. Ill be happy to be proven wrong.

Might not be, but that is a different point than an assertion about a particular game. If you mean the above, say that. Everyone is hoping he becomes the player we saw tonight.

6k played very good!vHe definitely got some defensive help in the 3rd but was huge making the hard saves when needed. This is what he was before he had to have the knee surgeries a few years ago. Not really happy with the first goal, but i guess when your body is already in motion, it is hard to just change directions on a dime. Disappointed in the way the team played offensively in front of him though. Not on the 5 goals on 15 shots, but the 15 shots!!! We were dominating in the 1st and with 5 mins left Philly straight up took over. We scored on our chances and Philly did not because of 6K. 6K stole that game and the we made our shots count. Need to be better! Have to say, with Clifton out our defense still looked good. Definitely loving our 7 that we have!

43 minutes ago, inkman said:

I didn’t notice him other than the goals.  His first couple of shifts were tough. 

The whole team was not noticeable offensively with the exception of the goals. Biro was flying around though. His speed was pretty good and he is not afraid of the front of the net. First couple of shifts rocky but he got his feet going and was not too bad. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Tribute to RJ.  

What was it?

(On a broadcast note, Dan failed on Biro's first NHL goal. He didn't make it special for the young man. He is a functional NHL player with no finish around the goal. Dan, not BB.)

12 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Most goals you can't blame on the goalie. If they save all the ones they're supposed to get, you might have an .800 goalie. A real NHL goalie makes proportionally more saves on all the goals you can't be blamed for. 

UPL saves comparably less of the goals he can't be blamed for, and let's a few in he's supposed to get too.

Perfectly said. Keep saying it. PTR and others don't get it. It's almost an uncanny ability that some goalies have.

12 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

That’s a lot of information. I’m just keeping it simple… on that particular play, most goalies are not going to stop a tip in like that. It was on the defense. 

But you can't throw the goalie that lifeline all the time. The numbers don't lie.

12 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He's not stopping deflected shots. He has yet to be beaten by a slot clean. Maybe the 5 guys in front can play some hockey? They've been outshot 11-2 since going up 2-1.

He has to stop them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Outshot 40-15 do you think we played well?

We didn't play well. That's obvious. However, we won. Winning when not expected and losing when not expected are part of the vagaries of a long and grinding season. When the season concludes, what counts is how many points your team earned. We got two points out of this game. There were occasions last season when we outplayed the opposition and lost because of the stellar play of the other team's goalie. In this game, we were the recipient of quality netminding when the opponent outplayed us. I'll take it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Most goals you can't blame on the goalie. If they save all the ones they're supposed to get, you might have an .800 goalie. A real NHL goalie makes proportionally more saves on all the goals you can't be blamed for. 

UPL saves comparably less of the goals he can't be blamed for, and let's a few in he's supposed to get too.

I've read this post several times, and it has a peculiar power to both confuse and enlighten me.

Also: Sabrespace HOF post, imo. Just a sparkler.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

No, read it again. I didn't say he was "not very good" but I didn't think he made a ton of great saves like some suggest either. A lot of Philly plays were scrambles near the goal and they shot wildly and off target and a lot of it was just hack desperation not tough skilled shots. Several times the net was wide open and they just didn't follow through. They drive the net but they don't shoot well so a big body guy (any big body guy) is really all you need. 

Now on another night they get luck and bounces and they hack in 6 or 7 on him in the exact same game. 

So to sum, UPL wasn't bad by any means, but he didn't have to be actually good. 

Our defense bailed UPL out a lot, blocked shots on those wide open nets.   UPL might be a nice back up goalie in the future, but his lateral movement and glove needs more work.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Might not be, but that is a different point than an assertion about a particular game. If you mean the above, say that. Everyone is hoping he becomes the player we saw tonight.

They are? Doubt it. The UPL we saw last night will get us creamed in a playoff series.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The shots were lopsided in part because the Sabres got the early 3rd period lead and then deemphasized offense coupled with Philly pushing harder.  I have a problem with Buffalo backing off too much in games when they have a slim lead.  They end up in our own zone for most of the period and the goalie has to make some great saves.  It's human nature to back off with a lead but Granato needs to get this right.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

The shots were lopsided in part because the Sabres got the early 3rd period lead and then deemphasized offense coupled with Philly pushing harder.  I have a problem with Buffalo backing off too much in games when they have a slim lead.  They end up in our own zone for most of the period and the goalie has to make some great saves.  It's human nature to back off with a lead but Granato needs to get this right.

Nice theory but shots were 20-11 Philly before the 3rd.  It was already quite lopsided.

Just now, Stormcloudmember66 said:

Bryson has played more than acceptable as a 7th dman. He was smart with the puck and was playing fast and physical.

tbh I never noticed him last night, which is I guess exactly what you want out of your 7D when he plays.  It means he's not screwing up.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

tbh I never noticed him last night, which is I guess exactly what you want out of your 7D when he plays.  It means he's not screwing up.

I think it means he did screw up. He only got five shifts after he was on the ice for the Flyers second goal. Eight-ish minutes total on the night.

Edited by bg17
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.