Amerks Game Threads

PromoTheRobot

13 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

If the AHL played a typical 82 game season, the Amerks would be on pace to give up 360+ goals. That would’ve been bad even in the 80s. 

With so many NHL capable defensemen and a seemingly decent goalie (Tokarski), why are they giving up so many goals?  I thought that side of things would be improved this year for the Amerks

4 minutes ago, Ctaeth said:

With so many NHL capable defensemen and a seemingly decent goalie (Tokarski), why are they giving up so many goals?  I thought that side of things would be improved this year for the Amerks

It’s Appert. 22nd defensively in the league last year. 30th the year before. They turn the puck over nonstop, and they play a very passive style defensively. They collapse very low, never pressure the puck carrier. It results in a lot of zone time for the opponent, lots of free shots from the point, and tons of rebounds. That’s just my amateur opinion, but people should take note next time they watch the Amerks how passive they play defensively. It’s clearly doesn’t work, and Appert is either too stubborn to adjust, or the Sabres are mandating they play this terrible style. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Amerks8796 said:

It’s Appert. 22nd defensively in the league last year. 30th the year before. They turn the puck over nonstop, and they play a very passive style defensively. They collapse very low, never pressure the puck carrier. It results in a lot of zone time for the opponent, lots of free shots from the point, and tons of rebounds. That’s just my amateur opinion, but people should take note next time they watch the Amerks how passive they play defensively. It’s clearly doesn’t work, and Appert is either too stubborn to adjust, or the Sabres are mandating they play this terrible style. 

So … a true feeder system preparing for the big club.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Amerks8796 said:

Appert runs the system the Sabres want so the players get trained.  It's systemic in the organization.

2 hours ago, JustOneParade said:

So … a true feeder system preparing for the big club.

Aaaaaand yep.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, LTS said:

Appert runs the system the Sabres want so the players get trained.  It's systemic in the organization.

Aaaaaand yep.

Which breeds questions, in a year that the Sabres state THEY are focusing more on D (and personally believe they are), why are the Amerks NOT doing so?  (Basing that on comments from people that watch them regularly; will likely get the Amerks package for the 2nd 1/2 of the season but didn't want to pay the full price.)

If it's because they want the kids to "learn" offense first and will then teach them D at the NHL level, with the rest of the NHLers presumably having picked up their defensive system, how do they expect that to work?  Understood what the Sabres were trying to do the past 2 years (whether it was right or wrong, understood what they were trying), but don't see how they can be teaching a portion of the system in one locale and the full system in the other.

Or ARE the Amerks playing the system the Sabres are also playing?  It doesn't seem to be the case, but are they?  If they aren't, is it because they plan to implement the system in stages in Ra-cha-cha in a single year; like they did over a couple in Buffalo (to middling success to date).  

The Amerks have a good record (8-4-2) (5th best win %age in the East; 9th best overall) but not great.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Which breeds questions, in a year that the Sabres state THEY are focusing more on D (and personally believe they are), why are the Amerks NOT doing so?  (Basing that on comments from people that watch them regularly; will likely get the Amerks package for the 2nd 1/2 of the season but didn't want to pay the full price.)

If it's because they want the kids to "learn" offense first and will then teach them D at the NHL level, with the rest of the NHLers presumably having picked up their defensive system, how do they expect that to work?  Understood what the Sabres were trying to do the past 2 years (whether it was right or wrong, understood what they were trying), but don't see how they can be teaching a portion of the system in one locale and the full system in the other.

Or ARE the Amerks playing the system the Sabres are also playing?  It doesn't seem to be the case, but are they?  If they aren't, is it because they plan to implement the system in stages in Ra-cha-cha in a single year; like they did over a couple in Buffalo (to middling success to date).  

The Amerks have a good record (8-4-2) (5th best win %age in the East; 9th best overall) but not great.

I guess you could say the Sabres are focused on D.  Truth be told I cannot speak to how the Amerks are playing now but the prevailing trend is that the minor league team employs the principles of the NHL team to get youth acclimated to the way of playing. It's possible the Amerks are focused purely on the offensive side now. It's also possible they are just not that good at D.

Although I feel like the AHL tends to have more goals scored overall as it's played more wide open.

In the end, the Sabres aren't very good at D and from what I've seen in the scoring, the Amerks very much aren't.  The other thing both teams have in common is that they struggle to keep a lead. No insight into that either.

3 minutes ago, LTS said:

I guess you could say the Sabres are focused on D.  Truth be told I cannot speak to how the Amerks are playing now but the prevailing trend is that the minor league team employs the principles of the NHL team to get youth acclimated to the way of playing. It's possible the Amerks are focused purely on the offensive side now. It's also possible they are just not that good at D.

Although I feel like the AHL tends to have more goals scored overall as it's played more wide open.

In the end, the Sabres aren't very good at D and from what I've seen in the scoring, the Amerks very much aren't.  The other thing both teams have in common is that they struggle to keep a lead. No insight into that either.

Focused MORE on D than they had last year.  They aren't getting confused with Aisles anytime soon.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Taro T said:

Rosen, Novikov, Kulich, and Clague are the only "plus" players with double-digit games played.  They have given up the second most goals.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 11/18/2023 at 10:23 PM, Amerks8796 said:

If the AHL played a typical 82 game season, the Amerks would be on pace to give up 360+ goals. That would’ve been bad even in the 80s. 

That is really really really bad.  If Appert is ignoring the organization’s request for better team D, than he should be fired.   If KA and DG aren’t delivering and reaffirming the message, then it is just another nail in both of their coffins. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

That is really really really bad.  If Appert is ignoring the organization’s request for better team D, than he should be fired.   If KA and DG aren’t delivering and reaffirming the message, then it is just another nail in both of their coffins. 

It's like the organization wants to do nothing but produce VO style one dimensional forwards who are useless in the NHL.

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I bought a ticket for the game in Springfield Dec 13. I'll be right behind the Amerks-shoot-twice goal.

I don't have any Amerks gear, so I'll probably wear my black Goathead.

Are you a rather large man? I was gifted some Amerks jerseys from my recently diagnosed as a diabetic uncle. He’s lost a ton of weight and no longer fits in his XXL & XXXL Amerks jerseys that he never really bothered to wear. They are too big on me, even in a hoodie. If you want them, they’re yours.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I bought a ticket for the game in Springfield Dec 13. I'll be right behind the Amerks-shoot-twice goal.

I don't have any Amerks gear, so I'll probably wear my black Goathead.

@PromoTheRobot I'm planning to be at that game also. And if the seats are the same as last year (clients' season tix) I'll be sitting very near your seats. Will let you know as the time nears. Would be great to meet up. Trying to keep an eye on which kids will be with ROC v. the big club by then.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Free to a good home, sizes XXL & XXXL

IMG_3026.jpeg

I’ll take them if you can mail them to me in Syracuse. I’d pay for the cost though Venmo or a check. I can wear the XXL when I play, and could give the other to a goalie. Let me know.

17 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Are you a rather large man? I was gifted some Amerks jerseys from my recently diagnosed as a diabetic uncle. He’s lost a ton of weight and no longer fits in his XXL & XXXL Amerks jerseys that he never really bothered to wear. They are too big on me, even in a hoodie. If you want them, they’re yours.

17 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Free to a good home, sizes XXL & XXXL

IMG_3026.jpeg

1 hour ago, pastajoe said:

I’ll take them if you can mail them to me in Syracuse. I’d pay for the cost though Venmo or a check. I can wear the XXL when I play, and could give the other to a goalie. Let me know.

I'm a 3X and I'll pay for shipping. PM me.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JustOneParade said:

@PromoTheRobot I'm planning to be at that game also. And if the seats are the same as last year (clients' season tix) I'll be sitting very near your seats. Will let you know as the time nears. Would be great to meet up. Trying to keep an eye on which kids will be with ROC v. the big club by then.

I'm sitting in Sec 31 Row A seat 7, right on the glass.

To everyone talking about defensive issues this season, are we going to ignore injuries and the never-ending lineup changes? The org was so desperate that we played Metsa as a forward… for multiple games. At the start of the with a healthy roster the team was far better defensively. It’s an issue, but it’s not as bad as it’s being made out to be when all circumstances are considered.

15 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

To everyone talking about defensive issues this season, are we going to ignore injuries and the never-ending lineup changes? The org was so desperate that we played Metsa as a forward… for multiple games. At the start of the with a healthy roster the team was far better defensively. It’s an issue, but it’s not as bad as it’s being made out to be when all circumstances are considered.

Zero excuse for literally being the worst defense in the league. They’re playing guys that should be excellent defensemen at this level. Clague, Prow, Stillman, Davies etc. They’ve all been healthy. It’s just a bad system and bad coaching. 

Not to mention, they’ve been bad defensively all year. When healthy, banged up. Doesn’t matter. Bad since opening game. 

Edited by Amerks8796
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2