OT: Best BBQ in WNY

JoeSchmoe

Just now, LGR4GM said:

There's a bbq place on chandler Street I believe that I've heard good things on but haven't been to. 

Ooooh. Southern Junction. 

They moved from Chandler to ... Connecticut Street, I believe. Near Mr. Sizzle's.

That place is so interesting. As the name suggests, it's American southern barbecue combined with south Asian principles of roasting and flavouring meat. We've gotten takeaway from them a few times -- really, really interesting (in a good way).

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Do you consider Rochester WNY? If so then Dinosaur BBQ.

I said in the Mexican thread, I think the original in Syracuse is more consistent than the Buffalo and Rochester locations. The ribs are always really meaty and never overdone. The brisket is always juicy like it should be. 

Push come to shove, I'd say I've had better quality in Buffalo over Rochester, but I would say the Rochester location and ambience wins.

Did anyone else ever eat at Kentucky Greg's? That was my go to many years ago.

4 hours ago, #freejame said:

I just go to Fat Bobs. I thought Brickyard burned down?

Brickyard did have a fire, but it is open.

I don’t think the south, however you define it, has a monopoly on great barbeque.  Most of the places mentioned so far def compete.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, ... said:

There is no best BBQ in WNY.

Those aren't south enough. The only good BBQ in the country is south of Dallas/Ft. Worth.

Not one good one north of Dallas/Ft. Worth? That seems like the hottest of hot takes. 🔥

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Ooooh. Southern Junction. 

They moved from Chandler to ... Connecticut Street, I believe. Near Mr. Sizzle's.

That place is so interesting. As the name suggests, it's American southern barbecue combined with south Asian principles of roasting and flavouring meat. We've gotten takeaway from them a few times -- really, really interesting (in a good way).

I've never been but i live near it, and man this place is hopping all the damn time. I'll try it soon and report back.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Dinosaur (only been to the Ra-cha-cha location) has very good ribs and brisket.  Lived in TX for a while, thought it compares very favorably.

A lot of people in Ra-cha-cha prefer Sticky Lips to Dino.  Not one of them, but that is good too.

Original Sticky Lips on Culver was great. But it’s just not very good anymore. Good Smoke is a good option in Rochester as well. 

There definitely is good BBQ in Dallas and in Fort Worth.

St Louis is totally underrated for barbeque, Kansas City has good places to (of course).  

I never think of going for barbeque in Buffalo but there are probably some good places.

Was not impressed with barbeque in the North Carolina Triangle metro region.  A friend took me to a few places and meh... vinegar/mustardy sauce.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

On 10/20/2023 at 3:18 PM, spndnchz said:

You started the conversation 

But... see below.

On 10/20/2023 at 3:35 PM, JoeSchmoe said:

Only to have a reasonable conversation on BBQ in WNY. Not to have it trolled on by someone that thinks Texas BBQ is the only BBQ worth eating or talking about.

The conversation was best in WNY..  the point I was making. Be nice if we could keep ourselves in check and have a conversation on the topic and not just interject with whatever we feel like saying. Might as well jump into a conversation about Granato as a Sabres coach and then begin talking about Mike Babcock.

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

Dinosaur (only been to the Ra-cha-cha location) has very good ribs and brisket.  Lived in TX for a while, thought it compares very favorably.

A lot of people in Ra-cha-cha prefer Sticky Lips to Dino.  Not one of them, but that is good too.

Dino is average at best to me. Sticky Lips.. not at all.  Good Smoke has its moments.  Route 96 in Farmington had some really good brisket when I was there once. But I generally don't go past my own smoker for BBQ in Rochester.

On 10/21/2023 at 2:06 PM, Pimlach said:

There definitely is good BBQ in Dallas and in Fort Worth.

St Louis is totally underrated for barbeque, Kansas City has good places to (of course).  

I never think of going for barbeque in Buffalo but there are probably some good places.

Was not impressed with barbeque in the North Carolina Triangle metro region.  A friend took me to a few places and meh... vinegar/mustardy sauce.  

Agree on NC. Can’t stand North Carolina barbecue. I don’t understand why people like it. Arkansas barbecue, which, BTW, happens to be north of Dallas Fort Worth, is phenomenal. There’s a place called the Dixie pig in Blytheville, AR which offers great pork barbecue. Amazing sauce. Memphis is also amazing. My wife has an uncle from there who used to smoke a Boston Butt for 18 hours. Unbelievable. It was so good. He traveled around the southeast judging various contests. Alabama has really good barbecue as well (and smoked chicken with North Alabama white sauce is otherworldly). Texas does better with beef brisket. The southeast generally better with pork. I never had any in Buffalo when I lived there. But seems like there is a real opportunity for someone from the south, who moved up there, to offer some great BBQ. It really isn’t that difficult. Once you get a good sauce and you know how to smoke meat and are willing to be patient to do it for 12 to 18 hours.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Agree on NC. Can’t stand North Carolina barbecue. I don’t understand why people like it. Arkansas barbecue, which, BTW, happens to be north of Dallas Fort Worth, is phenomenal. There’s a place called the Dixie pig in Blytheville, AR which offers great pork barbecue. Amazing sauce. Memphis is also amazing. My wife has an uncle from there who used to smoke a Boston Butt for 18 hours. Unbelievable. It was so good. He traveled around the southeast judging various contests. Alabama has really good barbecue as well (and smoked chicken with North Alabama white sauce is otherworldly). Texas does better with beef brisket. The southeast generally better with pork. I never had any in Buffalo when I lived there. But seems like there is a real opportunity for someone from the south, who moved up there, to offer some great BBQ. It really isn’t that difficult. Once you get a good sauce and you know how to smoke meat and are willing to be patient to do it for 12 to 18 hours.

I have heard good things about Memphis BBQ, just down the big river from St Lou.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/20/2023 at 4:26 PM, LGR4GM said:

There's a bbq place on chandler Street I believe that I've heard good things on but haven't been to. 

Outside of that, fat bobs is okay. Haven't anything blow me away since I've been back. 

You're thinking of Southern Junction and they recently moved to a new location. I came here to suggest them as I've heard it's really good, although I haven't tried it yet. I got a Big Green Egg a few years ago and I don't think I've gone out for BBQ since as I can now smoke my meats at home.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.