Zach Benson's NHL tryout, 2023

LGR4GM

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Had that on my mind too, especially when got Kulich in Rochester.    Savoie might get his 9 games shot when Benson is send down.

Savoie has to show over these next 2 weeks that he is better against AHL competition than he was this past Spring before we consider a 9 game stint in Buffalo.  He was way out of place at the end of the season im Rochester.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SDS said:

We will probably close this up sometime soon. Zach Benson’s first two games happened long ago.

3 of his games and 5 of the Sabres games to be specific; at least today.  😉

Don't know if it means anything in regards to his making the team or not, but the Sabres had him as 1 of the 2 players that took Q's from the STHers today.  Would seem a little strange that they'd have him take Q's from the fans for an hour 2 weeks before sending him back to WA but stranger things have happened.

• Agree 1

• LGR4GM changed the title to Zach Benson's NHL tryout, 2023

I hate to say this but unless they are sure he’s an NHL player now, they should send him back.  If they don’t and Benson continues to be unproductive then they are wasting a year of his ELC with nothing to show for it.  If they send him back, he’ll have a year to work on his strength and any other issues they wise him to address and gain more international experience with team Canada. Also if they send him back, it will be his 4th CHL season and therefore he could start in Rochester in 2024/25 if necessary even though he still won’t be 20.  

One other thought on Benson and Savoie.  Team Canada’s selection camp is in mid December for the World Jrs.  Could the Sabres try to keep both hanging around until then? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I'm torn at this point. After a good start, I think he's shown in just a short stretch he's not ready for the NHL yet. But I hate sending him to Juniors.

He might develop more playing occasional games in the NHL (with a break to go play in worlds) than with an unknown head coach in Juniors.

Rochester is probably what would be best for him, but that's not an option.

If sending him back to Juniors gives us the Rochester option next year though, maybe that's worth it.

Although I think depending on how much he develops physically in the next year, he should be making his case to stay again next year too. However it'd be good to be able to bring him and up and down from the Amerks next season if that is the better option.

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I hate to say this but unless they are sure he’s an NHL player now, they should send him back.  If they don’t and Benson continues to be unproductive then they are wasting a year of his ELC with nothing to show for it.  If they send him back, he’ll have a year to work on his strength and any other issues they wise him to address and gain more international experience with team Canada. Also if they send him back, it will be his 4th CHL season and therefore he could start in Rochester in 2024/25 if necessary even though he still won’t be 20.  

One other thought on Benson and Savoie.  Team Canada’s selection camp is in mid December for the World Jrs.  Could the Sabres try to keep both hanging around until then? 

Don't need to say this again, but here goes. He would be SO much better served if he could be in the NHL.  Its not just the step up in competition over Juniors. He could be learning every day from the orgainzations actual coaches, practicing with the guys he will be playing with in a couple years.  its so frustrating.

48 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Don't need to say this again, but here goes. He would be SO much better served if he could be in the NHL.  Its not just the step up in competition over Juniors. He could be learning every day from the orgainzations actual coaches, practicing with the guys he will be playing with in a couple years.  its so frustrating.

I'm not sure that's true.  Practicing with the big boys is great, but it will never replace in game experience.  Think back to when they returned Reinhart to Juniors after his 9 game tryout.  He went back and focused on what they asked him to work on and came back a better player the following year.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm not sure that's true.  Practicing with the big boys is great, but it will never replace in game experience.  Think back to when they returned Reinhart to Juniors after his 9 game tryout.  He went back and focused on what they asked him to work on and came back a better player the following year.  

If he stays up, how would he not get game experience? 

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

No prospect has ever been ruined by playing too many years of junior hockey.

While this is true, that doesn’t mean it’s best for the individual player’s development.
Players get better when they play with better players than they are.  Benson isn’t going to find that in Wenatchee   

The interesting question is, is it worth a year off of his ELC? Ultimately I agree with you that it is not.  

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

While this is true, that doesn’t mean it’s best for the individual player’s development.
Players get better when they play with better players than they are.  Benson isn’t going to find that in Wenatchee   

The interesting question is, is it worth a year off of his ELC? Ultimately I agree with you that it is not.  

Considering how careful he's been to maintain "flexibility" with his players' contracts (remember, neither Quinn nor Peterka got late season call ups after their 2 game stints and others haven't gotten call ups either); really expect that IF Benson does stay up beyond 9 games that management really expects him to both be better off for having stayed in the NHL this year AND that he'll help the Sabres win by staying up.

He played well in Otterland.  Looks like he probably won't play in Joisey.  Am very interested (aren't we all) in how this is going to play out.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don’t care as much about wasting his ELC as I do about whether he’s the best man for the job, this season, among his potential replacements.

Is he? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

It took Mitts and Thompson 4-5 year to find their NHL game.  Benson, Savoie, Kulich, etc... should stay down for probably another season, maybe two. 

This is Kulich's second season in Rochester and he is doing very well to start the season.  He did not look like an NHL player in preseason at this time but he will be someday.  

Benson an Savoie have to go to Junior WHL, a big difference.  The thing with Benson is he looks ready mentally from a hockey sense, its the physical side of it that is the question.  Right now its best to keep them around, get them work at the NHL/AHL level as they can, and see what is in store for them in the WHL.  Decisions like these sometimes get make themselves.  

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

Considering how careful he's been to maintain "flexibility" with his players' contracts (remember, neither Quinn nor Peterka got late season call ups after their 2 game stints and others haven't gotten call ups either); really expect that IF Benson does stay up beyond 9 games that management really expects him to both be better off for having stayed in the NHL this year AND that he'll help the Sabres win by staying up.

He played well in Otterland.  Looks like he probably won't play in Joisey.  Am very interested (aren't we all) in how this is going to play out.

As long as they make their choice primarily based on the bold, I’m good with it

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

As long as they make their choice primarily based on the bold, I’m good with it

Considering how much Adams values the low cost years of players, can't see him walking away from 1 extra low cost year of Benson if it doesn't make the Sabres better in management's eyes.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I don’t care as much about wasting his ELC as I do about whether he’s the best man for the job, this season, among his potential replacements.

Is he? 

You may not care, but I assure the Sabres do.  As the Sabres pay their core, having effective guys on cheap contracts will help them stay cap compliant.   

Right now, I’d also argue he isn’t the right man for the job.  He is feisty and high skilled, but he isn’t strong enough yet for the NHL.

Here’s a bonus to “wasting” a year: sometimes you get to sign a player to his 2nd contract before he breaks out which can save you good money. Casey Mittelstadt is a good example.

People put way too much emphasis on this. It’s a secondary consideration, not a big deal.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.