Sabres Prospect Updates 23-24

LabattBlue

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

Taking nothing away from his impressive accomplishment in the WHL this season, but I question how much a player can really improve his game in a league that couldn’t challenge him enough. I think his five points in six games in the A earlier this season is more reassuring to me that he is on the right developmental track. 

Sorry, but this is like saying once McDavid hit a certain point total in the NHL that there was nothing left he can improve on at the NHL level. It’s just flawed. Savoie’s a smart kid I think, there was lots he had an opportunity to improve on playing a final year of junior. 

1 hour ago, Archie Lee said:

Sorry, but this is like saying once McDavid hit a certain point total in the NHL that there was nothing left he can improve on at the NHL level. It’s just flawed. Savoie’s a smart kid I think, there was lots he had an opportunity to improve on playing a final year of junior. 

It’s not like saying that in the least.

Was he sufficiently challenged enough to improve the facets of his game that needed improvement most by playing in a league that clearly didn’t challenge him enough? The WHL was too easy for him and he would have been better served by being able to stay in the A. 

But never mind as we’ve been down this road before and I have no interest in rehashing the subject. We disagree. ‘Nuff said.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, tom webster said:

Rod Brind’ Amour. Carolina has still not extended him and there have been rumors that Buffalo would offer to make him the highest paid coach in the NHL. First, he’s likely to stay. Second, like Babcock before him, his wife would likely veto any move to Buffalo.

Brind’Amour isn’t a fan of the owner and it’s doubtful he would work for him. 

• Agree 1

https://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/after-trade-vsevolod-komarov-cements-status-as-one-of-sabres-top-prospects/

Nice write up on the forgotten prospect. Already a Memorial Cup Champ, top dman in the Q this season on the top team in the league.

His skating has improved but still needs polishing. Everything else is exactly what you would want in a dman.  

A Novikov-Komarov 3rd pairing in 2-3 years would be really nice

• Like (+1) 5

33 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

you never know, there arent many prospects who are prototypical 3rd or 4th liners ahead of him

Just because you're 6'4" doesn't mean you're a prototypical 4th liner. He's an extreme long shot to play nhl games. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

Savoie has to be the number one prospect in the system now after this year.. right?

I guess so, if you don’t count Levi. Will he play more Rochester games this year or Buffalo games? To me if he’s more so an AHLer than NHLer this year he can only be classified as a prospective NHLer

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

After watching Kulich tonight, I really think he has a chance to play for the Sabres next season.   Which probably means the end of Krebs, I  would think , as a sabre   

At the time of the trade I thought Krebs would slot in as a middle six C. He hasn’t done anything to date to warrant more than a 4C role. I believe it was James Patrick who said that Krebs might have to realize he may have to carve out a lower role for himself.

A seasoned 3C acquisition would be my preference, just not overly seasoned like Staal was.

There are enough good wingers around to have 3 scoring lines.

Krebs can stay on the 4th line, realizing he needs to be solid defensively, win draws and bring some energy.