Sabres Prospect Updates 23-24

LabattBlue

51 minutes ago, _Q_ said:

Savoie with another goal tonight for Moose Jaw.  26th in 29 games

He finished with 2g, 1a and once again showed why another year at the junior level hasn’t been nearly challenging enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Great update for the Sabres here. Really glad they use analytics and are smart about how the draft, really good success story from 2021.

oh... wait I am sorry. We decided to draft Poltapov who will probably never matter instead because we got a russian fetish for a few years for some reason. I ranked him 21st btw... he went 51st.

Quick Side Note

Sam Ventura was hired three weeks before the 2021 Draft and had minimal input on the Sabres Draft List that year

Jerry Forton for the win 

On 3/9/2024 at 12:19 AM, SwampD said:

JSYK, we don't care where you ranked him, either. No need to be a dick. Everyone's hindsight is 20/20.

I say let the squabblers squabble. All the little board infighting has been more amusing than the Sabres   

Edited by #freejame

Atley Calvert is a 6 foot 193 lb right handed centre who has been playing with Savoie in Moose Jaw. He is undrafted and has put up 45 goals and 92 points this season. I wonder if he is someone they consider signing and taking a flyer on. He’s a pretty good player.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Atley Calvert is a 6 foot 193 lb right handed centre who has been playing with Savoie in Moose Jaw. He is undrafted and has put up 45 goals and 92 points this season. I wonder if he is someone they consider signing and taking a flyer on. He’s a pretty good player.

Pretty good numbers Wonder why he got  undrafted

Apparently  Calvert was at the rookie tournament for the Sabres last year and played for the Pens in this past one. So he was on the Sabres radar at one point.

If I was him though I would sign in Pittsburgh right now as they have few prospects and he would rise up the prospect list quickly in that organization.

Edited by Flashsabre

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Thank you Jerry Forton 

So he's bad enough to get pulled from a game but it's okay because he's psycho enough to hack an opposing player on his way off the ice?  Does he share genetic code with Craig Binnington?

• Haha (+1) 1

The Sabres wouldn't need to worry about "addressing" someone who runs him, because he'll address it himself and get kicked out of the game anyway.

It goes without saying that it this run-in scenario in my mind a goal was scored, and it counted after video review (crossed the goal line before contact was made).

46 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Thank you Jerry Forton 

The thing to me is after the whack he picks up speed and hurries off the ice through his team mates rather than turning or facing the music he started. If you want to be a psycho goalie be a psycho goalie not a cheap shot coward. 

Thanks for posting though. This was fun to see. 

• Eyeroll 1

Speaking of Sabres prospects, who do you think has made the biggest improvement this season (I'm excluding Benson and Ryan Johnson from this discussion as they have been Sabres most/all year.

Here is my short list.

Savoie.  Going from 1.5 pts per game to 2 pts per game is pretty impressive.

Novikov.  Making the jump from the KHL to the AHL and basically being the Amerks' best D (+14) at 20 years old is pretty impressive. I also like the step up in offense with 18 pts in 53 games.

Strbak - Looks to be having a very solid rookie campaign at MSU

Neuchev - Finally showing his O chops at the AHL, with 26 pts in 46 games, with most of the points coming recently

Komarov - 66 pts in 59 games. Up from 39 in 62 last year. Not bad for a 6'3 D taken in the 5th rd who was known primarily for his physical game.

https://eprinkside.com/2024/03/07/qmjhl-stock-watch-maxim-masses-strong-february-rebuilding-his-draft-stock

Vsevolod Komarov, RD, Drummondville Voltigeurs (Buffalo Sabres)

After another great month, during which he scored 12 points in 12 games, Vsevolod Komarov leads the QMJHL in points from the blue line.

His offensive touch was evident even as far back as his draft year, the first he spent in the league with the Québec Remparts.. Defenders would come up to pressure him at the offensive line, not knowing his abilities, and would fall to one of his timely shot fakes. Two years later, Komarov is pulling off even more of these moves. 

A true quarterback for the Drummond Voltigeurs, the defenceman has guided the team on their win streaks. He dangles, distributes the puck, and fires. And his impact has also extended to the defensive zone, where his strength, stature, and length shine. 

The question is if Komarov can become more than a great QMJHL defencemen. He has NHL tools and shows some creativity, but to give himself a better chance of reaching the top league, he will have to develop his mobility and reads. 

Östlund - Made the jump to the SHL and put up solid numbers with 23 pts in 38 games.  

https://eprinkside.com/2024/03/06/sweden-stock-watch-canucks-prospect-jonathan-lekkerimaki-thriving-with-orebro

Noah Östlund C, Växjö Lakers (Buffalo Sabres) 

Östlund wasn't immediately entrusted with a top scoring role in Växjö; instead, he has assumed more of a supporting role, seldom playing alongside the team's top scorers. Nevertheless, he stands out as one of the best scoring chance drivers per minutes played in the entire league. Whenever he's on the ice, Östlund commands possession, excelling in retrieving pucks and contributing to play in all three zones—a consistency evident throughout his young career at various levels.

Operating within the league's premier defensive system (although this may not be the case with Buffalo in the NHL), Östlund's game has benefited significantly. He exhibits a knack for manipulating defensemen with the puck on his stick, swiftly shifting directions while skating. However, he seldom controls the pace solely with his hands. Despite his standout performance in numerous aspects of the game at such an early age in the SHL, I envision him as more of a middle-six player, mirroring the role he currently fulfills in the SHL. Renowned for his reliability, high work rate, and elite sense to maneuver on both sides of the game, Östlund may lack some offensive superstar qualities skill-wise. Nonetheless, with his motor, he could potentially become a 60+ point producer at some point in his NHL career.

One other note:  I'm honestly a little disappointed with Kulich and Rosen.  I thought both would take a bigger step forward this season.  I was hoping one or both would put together a JJP or Quinn type AHL season, but it hasn't happened.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

One other note:  I'm honestly a little disappointed with Kulich and Rosen.  I thought both would take a bigger step forward this season.  I was hoping one or both would put together a JJP or Quinn type AHL season, but it hasn't happened.  

They are acting like they are already on the big club already. It’s odd we are not only seeing players take a large step back on the Sabres, but the Amerks too. More evidence some housecleaning needs to happen. 

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Speaking of Sabres prospects, who do you think has made the biggest improvement this season (I'm excluding Benson and Ryan Johnson from this discussion as they have been Sabres most/all year.

Here is my short list.

Savoie.  Going from 1.5 pts per game to 2 pts per game is pretty impressive.

Novikov.  Making the jump from the KHL to the AHL and basically being the Amerks' best D (+14) at 20 years old is pretty impressive. I also like the step up in offense with 18 pts in 53 games.

Strbak - Looks to be having a very solid rookie campaign at MSU

Neuchev - Finally showing his O chops at the AHL, with 26 pts in 46 games, with most of the points coming recently

Komarov - 66 pts in 59 games. Up from 39 in 62 last year. Not bad for a 6'3 D taken in the 5th rd who was known primarily for his physical game.

https://eprinkside.com/2024/03/07/qmjhl-stock-watch-maxim-masses-strong-february-rebuilding-his-draft-stock

Östlund - Made the jump to the SHL and put up solid numbers with 23 pts in 38 games.  

https://eprinkside.com/2024/03/06/sweden-stock-watch-canucks-prospect-jonathan-lekkerimaki-thriving-with-orebro

This is sad.

I honestly thought Both would be regulars by now

The Sabres need elite/strong top forwards. Not sure we have any in the system. Not sure we have a single top line guy. Certainly none that are close to ready. Maybe Savoie in a few years? Kulich and Rosen look like 3rd line at best. 

looks like the defense and goaltending is getting better at least. Maybe we should get a coach with a strong defensive system and play to win games 3-2 like we did in the 90’s.  

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

This is sad.

I honestly thought Both would be regulars by now

Was this because of the non-blocking approach? Kulich and Rosen are 19 and 20, respectively, this season. The Sabres have had so many top picks and rushed prospects that we are accustomed to it. There's nothing wrong with them filling out a bit as adults and showing up more ready to go at 20-21, even 22. They'll both see some NHL time next season in Buffalo or elsewhere.

The age-related coincidence is that this season 18 year-old Benson is the one who blocked them.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The Sabres need elite/strong top forwards. Not sure we have any in the system. Not sure we have a single top line guy. Certainly none that are close to ready. Maybe Savoie in a few years? Kulich and Rosen look like 3rd line at best. 

looks like the defense and goaltending is getting better at least. Maybe we should get a coach with a strong defensive system and play to win games 3-2 like we did in the 90’s.  

In the system? If we are counting down the line also, I do think Quinn and Benson will be top line quality wingers 

7 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Was this because of the non-blocking approach? Kulich and Rosen are 19 and 20, respectively, this season. The Sabres have had so many top picks and rushed prospects that we are accustomed to it. There's nothing wrong with them filling out a bit as adults and showing up more ready to go at 20-21, even 22. They'll both see some NHL time next season in Buffalo or elsewhere.

The age-related coincidence is that this season 18 year-old Benson is the one who blocked them.

I was thinking they take the next step like JJ,Quinn  

Looks like both Rosen, Kulich have Not progressed this year 

Edited by Buffalonill

16 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I agree both Kulich and Rosen should keep cooking in the A until they’re ready and they are not ready in the least. I have to disagree that Benson blocked them or anyone else this season. They blocked themselves because they couldn’t outplay Benson in camp. Same goes for Rousek, Biro, and any other forward currently behind him on the depth chart. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Thorny said:

In the system? If we are counting down the line also, I do think Quinn and Benson will be top line quality wingers 

I like those guys. But they are here now. We need game changers. I don’t know if we have more than just some skilled guys who are good by not superstars. 

this team has been devoid of superstar forwards for 20 years. 

4 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I like those guys. But they are here now. We need game changers. I don’t know if we have more than just some skilled guys who are good by not superstars. 

this team has been devoid of superstar forwards for 20 years. 

Almost 

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I agree both Kulich and Rosen should keep cooking in the A until they’re ready and they are not ready in the least. I have to disagree that Benson blocked them or anyone else this season. They blocked themselves because they couldn’t outplay Benson in camp. Same goes for Rousek, Biro, and any other forward currently behind him on the depth chart. 

Zach Benson should have been a top 5 pick. He's not even 19 yet and put up 23pts in 60 games while driving and connecting every line he touches. Rosen and Kulich aren't even close to the same caliber of prospect and I hope as you point out here, they realize it now.

• Like (+1) 3