Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

18 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I think Jbots biggest mistake was trading Foligno. Heart and soul guys matter. 

Yep.  I liked Reinhart a lot, but the one trade that really set this team back was the Foligno trade.

• Agree 1

On 5/17/2024 at 6:24 PM, dudacek said:

But that only took a week! It’s barely enough time to reach double digits in people talked to!

It’s almost like Treliving knew who he wanted to hire before he fired Keefe and he didn’t even do a thorough search.

😜

To be fair, every head coach (under contract or not) probably called hoping to work for the Leafs, so there wasn't much legwork on Treliving's part.

12 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

He needed to get out of buffalo to unlock his level he's at now 

A not unreasonable take.  I would say he needed to get out from under Eichel to unlock that level.

• dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/lightning-acquire-ryan-mcdonagh-from-predators-for-draft-picks/

Wow what a strange deal for TB. A team in cap trouble adding that much more to it. Something has to give there this summer.

They’ve already put Stamkos on ir for the entire 24-25 season.

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/lightning-acquire-ryan-mcdonagh-from-predators-for-draft-picks/

Wow what a strange deal for TB. A team in cap trouble adding that much more to it. Something has to give there this summer.

Nashville building while trying to stay competitive at the same time, how radical 🙂

Tampa obviously thinks they have a small window left. Maybe they do. 

23 minutes ago, SwampD said:

They’ve already put Stamkos on ir for the entire 24-25 season.

Wouldn't shock me, but maybe they get him to sign one of those team friendly deals with bonuses like Bergeron and Krejci did in Boston. One more cup run type of thing. 

6 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

My favor part of the article was this:

“…includes '20 playoff MVP Victor Hedman, Erik Cernak and Mikhail Sergachev, who missed several months with a broken leg before making a surprise return in the first round.”

It was actually magic. Magic caused the guy making $8.5M per year to be ready as soon as the playoffs started. 

38 minutes ago, kas23 said:

My favor part of the article was this:

“…includes '20 playoff MVP Victor Hedman, Erik Cernak and Mikhail Sergachev, who missed several months with a broken leg before making a surprise return in the first round.”

It was actually magic. Magic caused the guy making $8.5M per year to be ready as soon as the playoffs started. 

This isn’t a good take.
Sergachev suffered a horrific injury that required a stretcher to get him off the ice, surgery on a fractured fibula & fractured tibia, and returned for game four.  

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

This isn’t a good take.
Sergachev suffered a horrific injury that required a stretcher to get him off the ice, surgery on a fractured fibula & fractured tibia, and returned for game four.  

If so, more the reason he should’ve sat out the playoffs to heal. Not saying it wasn’t a horrific injury, just the timing is a bit suspect, especially for a team who has done this before. 

Edited by kas23

Really interested to see how Keefe does in NJ.

They are kind of built like the Leafs. Not as top heavy up front. See if he can get them over the hump.

He's going to have the same goaltending nightmares there as in Toronto until they pull the trigger on a starter.

Edited by Flashsabre

43 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

@Thorny how do you disagree he was in a losing culture he would have wasted his career away like Girgensons

Under the assumption we continue to employ personnel who refuse to build a winning hockey team, sure, I just don’t think that ever HAD to be the case 

5 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Was Keefe even on the market for six days?!?!?

As I understood it they were trying to get Berube so I think this is plan B. 

Interesting tidbit I found amusing today. In the season ending presser Montgomery said he called and talked to some old coaches and friends entering the playoffs asking for advice. he apparently asked Babcock for advice on how to beat the Leafs. No wonder Marner had such a bad series 🙂

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Thorny said:

Under the assumption we continue to employ personnel who refuse to build a winning hockey team, sure, I just don’t think that ever HAD to be the case 

Sure, and if my aunt had penis, she’d be my uncle. Of course it never had to be the case, but that was the case.

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Sure, and if my aunt had penis, she’d be my uncle. Of course it never had to be the case, but that was the case.

Or would she/her/him/them/their/them and which pronouns would you have to use. 🙂

Nothing ever HAD to be the case, but everything has been what it has been, and there's only one constant and that's Pegula so given he has a firm belief and philosophy in a way, it did have to be that way. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

10 hours ago, French Collection said:

Marc Savard “agrees” to leave his assistant coaching job in Calgary.

He was an assistant to Berube in St-Louis, stay tuned.

A head coach picking his assistants? That’s crazy talk. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

That article is similar to the critiques I read about Boston, and yet somehow neither of those teams goes away.......................

I don't think Tampa is going anywhere soon, but I do think that once the slide hits they will vanish faster than the Bruins. The distinction I would make between them and the Bruins is that the Bruins have really limited the number of big contracts that they have; I think this has allowed the Bruins to have much better depth down their line-up.  The Bruins currently have only 4 players with contracts higher than $6 million with Swayman possibly joining the group this offseason. Tampa has 8 players over $6 million and are still, reportedly, looking to keep Stamkos. The Bruins, to their credit, never seem to need players like Conor Sheary or Jonas Johansson to fill out their line-up.  Of course, Tampa has two recent cup wins so they know what they are doing.