Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

On 2/12/2024 at 10:50 AM, shrader said:

The Reilly thing got me thinking. If there actually was a penalty for the Ottawa guy being a douche, what would the signal be for the call?

Now I’m dreaming up ways to make the empty net goal even more spectacular to hurt Morgan Reilly’s feelings. 

In all alone from the red line, how about a wrap around Michigan goal? That ought to get someone killed lol

Edited by Porous Five Hole
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Now I’m dreaming up ways to make the empty net goal even more spectacular to hurt Morgan Reilly’s feelings. 

In all alone from the red line, how about a wrap around Michigan goal? That ought to get someone killed lol

I would like to see the first ever major penalty for being a douche. Someone will make history eventually. 

I’m taking a quick lookat the standings.

How is Washington ahead of Buffalo? Their goals for are 127 while goals against are 164 for a -37 differential. The Sabres have had a very poor season but the goal differential is -5.

Other teams ahead of Buffalo with horrible differentials are Montreal at -27 and the Islanders at -21.

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

How is Washington ahead of Buffalo? Their goals for are 127 while goals against are 164 for a -37 differential. The Sabres have had a very poor season but the goal differential is -5.

Other teams ahead of Buffalo with horrible differentials are Montreal at -27 and the Islanders at -21.

Without looking, my guess is the amount of OTL. Buffalo never gets to OT. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Another example how stats out of context mean very little. Lots of one goal wins and bigger GD losses. Win 3-2 and then lose 5-1 you've got a -3 GD but you are .500, that's Washington. Veteran players better at holding a slim late lead (when they have one). Same for the Islanders. I'd guess same for Montreal but I'd have to look that up and I'm lazy 🙂

They are losing more lately though and likely will keep dropping. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Another example how stats out of context mean very little. Lots of one goal wins and bigger GD losses. Win 3-2 and then lose 5-1 you've got a -3 GD but you are .500, that's Washington. Veteran players better at holding a slim late lead (when they have one). Same for the Islanders. I'd guess same for Montreal but I'd have to look that up and I'm lazy 🙂

They are losing more lately though and likely will keep dropping. 

I think Buffalo passes those three teams before the season ends. They won’t make the playoffs but will finish stronger than their first 50 games.

Almost every year the playoff teams have positive goal differentials so I can see NYI, Caps and Habs dropping.

I know fancy stats are painting a new picture but goal differential was a metric that Bowman used to describe good teams.

11 hours ago, French Collection said:

So a good power play would have converted a few losses into wins or loser points at least 

• Like (+1) 1

I believe Buffalo has the fewest OT games this season.  The inability to tie games because of lack of scoring, especially because of the horrendous power play, is killer.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, French Collection said:

We just beat the Kings 7-0

We tend to be front runners in individual games 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, sabremike said:

The only two people on Earth worse at their jobs than Botterill are Ed Johnston (aka: The Man Who Killed The Whalers) and the safety director at Chernobyl.

We’ve had 2 GMs that bridged Reinhart 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

We’ve had 2 GMs that bridged Reinhart 

Yeah but that's what teams did then. 

Imo big contracts are being given out like candy and way too early nowadays.

As an example, I like Power and I think he'll be a good player but why did they feel the need to pay him $7 mil a year already? 

Could have given him a nice raise for a few years and then done it. 

Those types of deals should be reserved for true superstars or players who've proven themselves in the league. 

I blame the agents.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Norcal said:

As an example, I like Power and I think he'll be a good player but why did they feel the need to pay him $7 mil a year already? 

Those types of deals should be reserved for true superstars or players who've proven themselves in the league. 

I blame the agents.

Doesn't OP's contract kick in next year? So, while the contract was handed out too early, we certainly can't say he has not earned the $7M next season any more than we can say he has earned it.

5 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

Doesn't OP's contract kick in next year? So, while the contract was handed out too early, we certainly can't say he has not earned the $7M next season any more than we can say he has earned it.

That's a big contract for a guy just coming off of his rookie deal though isn't it? 

A few years at a more manageable number would been nice but that's my point. 

They go staight to $7 mil so whats the next contract look like? 

Edited by Norcal

14 minutes ago, Norcal said:

I blame the agents.

It’s just difficult with Reino because he went on record saying he was open to a long term extension 

11 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

I don’t think he’s a 7 mil player yet.

No, I don’t mind the contract there. For reasons opposite to why I dislike MS’s. 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

It’s just difficult with Reino because he went on record saying he was open to a long term extension 

I don’t think he’s a 7 mil player yet.

No, I don’t mind the contract there. For reasons opposite to why I dislike MS’s. 

Botts was the one who bridged Reinhart, I can't exactly go after Adams for giving another 1 year deal during COVID and under Krueger's "guidance" 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I would have given him that $6.5 for 7 years here. 

Hindsight and all. Now we wait on Levi and Kulich. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Botts was the one who bridged Reinhart, I can't exactly go after Adams for giving another 1 year deal during COVID and under Krueger's "guidance" 

Ya I mean assigning fault is subjective 

He bridged Reinhart, that’s all I said 

23 minutes ago, Norcal said:

I blame the agents.

15 minutes ago, Norcal said:

That's a big contract for a guy just coming off of his rookie deal though isn't it? 

A few years at a more manageable number would been nice but that's my point. 

They go staight to $7 mil so whats the next contract look like? 

GMs are paying early with hopes of paying less in the long term.  It’s a risk but I’m certain they are using analytics to evaluate who is really performing and who is showing out for a contract year. They are going to miss some.  Maybe one of the Sabres young core doesn’t live up to the contract.  The bet is the rest of the early payouts will payoff with superstars making significantly less than their peers allowing GMs to sign more good players. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

GMs are paying early with hopes of paying less in the long term.  It’s a risk but I’m certain they are using analytics to evaluate who is really performing and who is showing out for a contract year. They are going to miss some.  Maybe one of the Sabres young core doesn’t live up to the contract.  The bet is the rest of the early payouts will payoff with superstars making significantly less than their peers allowing GMs to sign more good players. 

Man, I edited that post twice and I still have a typo smh