Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Never thought he was a good coach. Just the right guy at the right time situation when they won their Cup.

Funny how this logic works for Berube. I think people apply it to Binnington too as he was brought up at almost the same time. But, if you'd like to apply it to ROR, who has not won a Stanley Cup or been named MVP since and is now on his second team removed from the Blues... it gets debated about just how amazing ROR is.

Sigh.

At least St. Louis is willing to take action.

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

So, this can and is being done? ADAMS?

Like I suggested in the PP thread, guys like Adam Oates are available.

Matt Ellis may end up being a HC somewhere, someday. There are a number of different skills required for that. It just seems an odd thing that he is in charge of a PP at the NHL level.

Top coaches like Scotty Bowman, Al Arbour and Qunneville were often journeymen players or in Bowman’s case, not NHL players. Top players like Gretzky, Richard, Howe, Orr, Lemieux, Lafleur etc… were not very successful or even attempt coaching.

In Rocket Richard’s case, he lasted 1 or 2 games as coach of the Nordiques before quitting. He couldn’t understand why pro players didn’t have the same drive he had.

48 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Like I suggested in the PP thread, guys like Adam Oates are available.

Matt Ellis may end up being a HC somewhere, someday. There are a number of different skills required for that. It just seems an odd thing that he is in charge of a PP at the NHL level.

Top coaches like Scotty Bowman, Al Arbour and Qunneville were often journeymen players or in Bowman’s case, not NHL players. Top players like Gretzky, Richard, Howe, Orr, Lemieux, Lafleur etc… were not very successful or even attempt coaching.

In Rocket Richard’s case, he lasted 1 or 2 games as coach of the Nordiques before quitting. He couldn’t understand why pro players didn’t have the same drive he had.

Is Matt Ellis the Matt Ellis of PP coaching?

22 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Capitals appear to be moving to a new building in Alexandria Virginia ( D.C Suburb)

22 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

So... the Washington Capitals will be the Virginia Suburbs now?

21 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Gonna be difficult because that area has filled in so much and gov doesnt have the power without Alexandria's approval... Alexandria is a chartered city in VA... one of 3 that have the power of a county... they have shot down other projects in Potomac yards... itll be an interesting fight.  PS i lived there for many years and del ray section of Alexandria has the political power there and very nimbyesque

20 hours ago, Brawndo said:

The plot thickens 

20 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Yes, just south of Reagan National Airport (DCA), at Potomac Yard at the north end of Alexandria.

Interesting background.  I wonder if the whole Potomac Yard thing is a ploy to force the Capital One Arena updates?

The Twitter reaction is that people from Maryland/north of DC are up in arms because the new site is too far away.  It's 6 miles, just a few stops down the Metro.

Interesting that the Caps want a new arena in the suburbs to get away from downtown while the Sens want a new arena downtown to get away from the suburbs.

1 hour ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Interesting that the Caps want a new arena in the suburbs to get away from downtown while the Sens want a new arena downtown to get away from the suburbs.

Very different urban settings. idk what the Washington transit system is like but Ottawa's centers in to that downtown and the downtown is very people friendly. It's not s slum like some American cities. There's more poverty and crime out in some of the burbs. Downtown Ottawa is pretty nice and the land in question is close to the Parliament building and the National Capital Commission parklands. It's a nice area for a city. At least it was when I lived there. Maybe it's different now but I doubt it. 

5 hours ago, French Collection said:

I just read more about this, Steve Ott is St Louis’ PP coach, just a hair more offensive than Matt Ellis.

fify  😉

2 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Moving six miles is not exactly getting out of the city.  It's a pretty dense area.

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Very different urban settings. idk what the Washington transit system is like but Ottawa's centers in to that downtown and the downtown is very people friendly. It's not s slum like some American cities. There's more poverty and crime out in some of the burbs. Downtown Ottawa is pretty nice and the land in question is close to the Parliament building and the National Capital Commission parklands. It's a nice area for a city. At least it was when I lived there. Maybe it's different now but I doubt it. 

I drive to Ottawa a lot to go to the Nordik spa in Chelsea on the Gatineau side, I work a bunch up near Potsdam these days, so I just pop over the Ogdensburg bridge... It's nice down by parliament and the ByWard market, but I've driven through some shady spots of the City on my way through, driving back home. I think an area in that area would be nice, it's very central and walkable. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Doohickie said:

fify  😉

Moving six miles is not exactly getting out of the city.  It's a pretty dense area.

Six miles and a whole river apart. The Potomac River does seem to keep a lot of crime in DC and MD. Alexandria is a tiny city which would make parking atrocious (that’s the case now the Capital One arena so that wouldn’t change) but it is still serviced by the metro. 

IMO they’re not going to move. This was a power play (pun intended) by monumental sports to force DC government to fund 600 million dollars of improvements to the Capital One Arena. 

• Like (+1) 1

CBJ, the only team in the East with more losses than Buffalo, are killing Toronto rn 5-0 late in 2nd.  Solace I guess.

And it's a spattering of boos as the home team leaves the ice after 2. 

And McCabe scores his first PP goal in 6 years (i think they said) and Toronto scores 5 in the 3rd to take it to OT.  Man.

Edited by Getpucksdeep

Interesting to listen to Barry Trotz interview.  He mentioned that he thought to many players on the Preds were comfortable and was forced to make moves.  
honestly, I think that's the biggest issue with the Sabres right now.  Players and probably coaches aren't held accountable.  
time for Adams to make a move, show the dressing room that lack of effort will not be tolerated.  Waive someone, make a trade, fire a coach. 
wake up !!!!! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1