Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

Christine Simpson interviewed Linus Ullmark about a  range of topics including His Father’s Death and how it affected Him. 
He wasn’t close with His Dad it’s appears alcoholism played a major role and had a negative effect on his whole family. 
His Dad died during the COVID Season and Linus did not have any family around. He mentioned he felt alone and was going through the grieving process without anyone to share it with. 

He and His Wife felt it was time for a change of scenery was necessary 

He mentioned that signing with the Bruins felt like it was next step in His Life, His Family’s Life, His Career it was not just his professional career at stake but how he felt as a person.  This starts at the 6:30 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/video/no-one-to-hug-the-linus-ullmark-story/

After watching this it appears the Sabres really never stood a chance at re-signing Him. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Christine Simpson interviewed Linus Ullmark about a  range of topics including His Father’s Death and how it affected Him. 
He wasn’t close with His Dad it’s appears alcoholism played a major role and had a negative effect on his whole family. 
His Dad died during the COVID Season and Linus did not have any family around. He mentioned he felt alone and was going through the grieving process without anyone to share it with. 

He mentioned that signing with the Bruins felt like it was next step in His Life, His Family’s Life, His Career it was not just his professional career at stake but how he felt as a person.  This starts at the 6:30 

After watching this it appears the Sabres really never stood a chance at re-signing Him. 

I mentioned this video like 2 pages ago.

We are always so quick to make assumptions and judgements, when everyone has ***** in their life affecting their decisions, work, performance, etc.

• Like (+1) 5

6 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I do think its possible that the Sabres did everything right with Ullmark only for him to choose to leave in order to change his life as a whole. Imagining a scenario in which the Sabres and Ullmark worked on contract positively talks prior to his father's death, then chose to not bother him in respect for his loss most of the year only for it to bite them in the ass down the line makes sense. In this hypothetical situation the Sabres would feel good enough about their contract talks to not trade him and Ullmark may have just felt he needed to start fresh and thus had his agent effectively make him un-signable for us.

Another scenario also could be that Ullmark wanted to go home after his father's death but the Sabres couldn't let him due to the COVID travel restrictions meaning he'd be out practically the whole season. If he went back to Sweden he'd have to of quarantined 2 weeks there, stayed, and if he was somehow allowed to return he'd of been quarantined another 2 weeks. That wouldn't exactly be good for Ullmark either since he'd be forced to stew in his emotions with his wife and small child without anyone else to hug him while in the whole travelling process. The team may have felt safer to keep him with his 2nd family the team, while he worked through his grief. That doesn't mean however that what the Sabres saw as trying to help Ullmark wasn't seen as bad by Ullmark's family or friends. It's entirely possible the Sabres tried to give support only for it to be "lost in translation" or so to speak. Would explain MODO's supposed anger against the team and Ullmark supposedly telling him something negative about the team.

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Another scenario also could be that Ullmark wanted to go home after his father's death but the Sabres couldn't let him due to the COVID travel restrictions meaning he'd be out practically the whole season. If he went back to Sweden he'd have to of quarantined 2 weeks there, stayed, and if he was somehow allowed to return he'd of been quarantined another 2 weeks. That wouldn't exactly be good for Ullmark either since he'd be forced to stew in his emotions with his wife and small child without anyone else to hug him while in the whole travelling process. The team may have felt safer to keep him with his 2nd family the team, while he worked through his grief. That doesn't mean however that what the Sabres saw as trying to help Ullmark wasn't seen as bad by Ullmark's family or friends. It's entirely possible the Sabres tried to give support only for it to be "lost in translation" or so to speak. Would explain MODO's supposed anger against the team and Ullmark supposedly telling him something negative about the team.

I don’t think that would really be a team’s decision.  They are employees, not indentured servants.

16 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Pretty surprising KA had no viable back up plan for G then considering it was apparently so unlikely we’d ever sign Linus 

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Pretty surprising KA had no viable back up plan for G then considering it was apparently so unlikely we’d ever sign Linus 

Not if you place his "public" decision close to July 1st.

If he didn't hint at his interest to leave it would actually give Adams an excuse for that year.

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Not if you place his "public" decision close to July 1st.

If he didn't hint at his interest to leave it would actually give Adams an excuse for that year.

Excuse for that year? Correct me if i am wrong but I thought your running opinion was that there’s nothing Adams could have reasonably done to supplement the position for *any* of the last three years including this one? 

Ie the goaltending is either “good” or “the best reasonably possible” and that KA isn’t amendable to the results? 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Excuse for that year? Correct me if i am wrong but I thought your running opinion was that there’s nothing Adams could have reasonably done to supplement the position for *any* of the last three years including this one? 

Ie the goaltending is either “good” or “the best reasonably possible” and that KA isn’t amendable to the results? 

For the most part I don’t feel he could have acquired a better goalie for a reasonable price of acquisition. Murray vetoed a trade, he looked into Gibson and the only good goalie that was signed was a guy whose rights were traded prior to July 1st. I never meant that he had zero options total but likely few options for a reasonable price. Throwing 5x6mil at a questionable goalie isn’t reasonable. (Grubauer/Campbell) Vanacek and Samsonov have already annoyed their fans so in hindsight they wouldn’t have been great acquisitions. And we tried to get Vladar or Swayman supposedly in the Hall trade.

Could he have signed random goalies with the hope they’d get hot, sure. 

If you look through the league, the top consistently successful goalies were draft picks or at least developed by their respective team. Sorokin, Shersterkin, Vasylevski, Oettinger, Swayman(granted Ullmark is there too), Saros, Hellebuyck, Demko.

Then you have guys like Hill or Ingram who had shown occasional signs but suddenly are good this year but who knows if they’ll drop off like rocks. Vanacek and Samsonov were solid last year but fell off this year much like Campbell had a couple years ago.  Bob is a literal sieve one moment and a Vezina candidate the next while making 10 million. 

Goalies are a convoluted and nigh impossible position to lock down for sure with any particular signing. Eric Comrie showed signs of talent but it hasn’t shown much here. Anderson was still ok just far too old. UPL has been like Bob only younger and far cheaper. 

Any goalie with even a semblance of consistency is often held onto by their team. Those which make FA-hood tend to have serious concerns about them and or want long term contracts to lock them in.

Personally I would targeted a guy like Reimer or Halak to fill Comrie’s spot but who knows what their ask was or even their willingness to come here.

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Bruins were up 3-0 on the Yotes, now only 4-3 in the 3rd. 16 minutes left in the third and AZ on a PP.

Go Yotes!

Zona is too close to the Jets so I am glad they lost.

Don't get me wrong, I have a hate on (for decades) for Boston as much as anyone you'd meet.