Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The Senators are definitely worse than us. 

Random tangent but

I like how there’s sort of a “rebuild cup” between Buffalo Ottawa and Detroit, where we litigate who did their rebuild “correctly” based on which of the 3 is doing the best, and necessarily as such because none of the 3 can be compared relative to the actual NHL

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

Random tangent but

I like how there’s sort of a “rebuild cup” between Buffalo Ottawa and Detroit, where we litigate who did their rebuild “correctly” based on which of the 3 is doing the best, and necessarily as such because none of the 3 can be compared relative to the actual NHL

Well yes, but I personally find it interesting. I probably wouldn't if the Sabres were any good but if/when other teams pass them from behind them I am interested to see what they did differently. 

Maybe KA wanted to follow Carolina's model (although we play differently to say the least) or more likely New Jersey but the Yzerplan is definitely different and so is Ottawa. I'd other teams in as well. Montreal is unexpectedly currently equal or ahead of us and they were supposed to still be in bottoming out mode. I find Philly interesting as well. Very little talent, old school hockey, and yet so far better results (although that might still fall). They were supposed to be bad like San Jose. I'm also interested to see what Trotz manages in Nashville. It's all very interesting.

And would totally go by the wayside if we made the playoffs and could call our rebuild done.  

Interesting video about Linus Ullmark popped up on my youtube feed today.

Wow.

We never heard about the issues with his father back home, and how his fathers death affected him.  Heart wrenching stuff.

They framed his decision to go to Boston as a need to move on after the death of his father. And it makes sense.  So much happened in his life and he needed to sever the attachments to his past.

Gave an interesting perspective.

I wish him well.

But not Boston.

The youtube channel is sportsnet.  Check it out.

• Like (+1) 1

Last year I thought that Ovi was going to break Gretzky’s record, no problem. He could have done it with a good season this year and next(40 + 33).

He is off to a slow start, on pace for 20 goals. I think he will pick it up but every slump extends the timeline. 

He is 38 and has kept his scoring touch up until now but Father Time beats everyone.

67 goals behind, 68 to pass Wayne. I see a ***** in the armour and a possibility he falls short. Can he play 2 more seasons at a productive level? If his legs give out does he pack it in so close?

9 hours ago, French Collection said:

Last year I thought that Ovi was going to break Gretzky’s record, no problem. He could have done it with a good season this year and next(40 + 33).

He is off to a slow start, on pace for 20 goals. I think he will pick it up but every slump extends the timeline. 

He is 38 and has kept his scoring touch up until now but Father Time beats everyone.

67 goals behind, 68 to pass Wayne. I see a ***** in the armour and a possibility he falls short. Can he play 2 more seasons at a productive level? If his legs give out does he pack it in so close?

I don't think he'll beat the record playing in Washington. They've slumped pretty good and I think it's a year or two before they turn it around. Curious if he goes to a higher scoring team or is content with being #2.

Newest member of the goalie voodoo list

2 hours ago, LTS said:

I don't think he'll beat the record playing in Washington. They've slumped pretty good and I think it's a year or two before they turn it around. Curious if he goes to a higher scoring team or is content with being #2.

I think he'd look great in Royal and Gold for a year or two.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, French Collection said:

38 and he looks like he’s 60. 

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Seems like every year some goalie gets hot, and then they regress back into garbage.

It’s a tale as old as time. I bet we could actually go back year by for 30+ years and name at least one. 

16 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Only Columbus below us now. Awesome. 

Columbus even has wone back to back games a couple times this year....Buffalo....one single "2 game" winning streak. Just one.

And Columbus has a better goal differential per game than Buffalo.

Edited by mjd1001

Jack Hughes.

Top 5 player in the league? Guy who will challenge McDavid and Matthews for league MVP/best player in the next couple of seasons and might get some discussion in the next couple years as the best in the NHL?

Missed some games this year, but he was leading the league in points when he got hurt. Since coming back, 4G and 6A in 7 games, keeping the lead in points per game and closing the gap toward the overall top spot.

Last year he had 40+ goals and 99 points. As a 21 year old.

I'm pretty confident McDavid is going to pick things up pretty soon and could surpass Hughes in points this year. But what Hughes is doing as a 21/22 year old might not be getting enough attention around the league.

Here's another way to look at it

Last 82 games played for each player:

Connor McDavid, 52 goals, 26 years old (near statistical peak for a forward), $12.5m per year

Auston Matthews, 50 goals, 26 years old, just signed an $13.25 per year extension

Jack Eichel, 28 goals,  27 years old, $10m per year.

Jack Hughes, 45 goals, only 22 years old, $8m per year signed until 2030.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Columbus even has wone back to back games a couple times this year....Buffalo....one single "2 game" winning streak. Just one.

And Columbus has a better goal differential per game than Buffalo.

I was watching Columbus play Boston and some of those Russians they have are pretty good. Big and tough as well. Seem to play with a little attitude. They have a ways to go as a team and definitely have some holes but if a few of them get it together I could see that team leaping forward in a year or two. Lots can happen of course, but some of their youth definitely looks promising. 

• Like (+1) 1

Arizona leads Washington 5-0 after one. 

I’ve said it before I’ll say it again.  Some of these other organizations hit rough patches in their history and then make the playoffs by accident every few years.  I cannot believe what has happened to our hockey city. 

• Agree 1