Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

20 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

First …. Shootouts to determine winners …. Is what should be shot into the sun.

Second … he was always in forward moving progress so nothing wrong with it. As obnoxious as it is.

I don’t really care about the legality of the attempt.  It’s stupid.  It looks stupid.  It has zero to do with actual hockey.  Just put a 3 Second shot clock on it and call it a day.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I don’t really care about the legality of the attempt.  It’s stupid.  It looks stupid.  It has zero to do with actual hockey.  Just put a 3 Second shot clock on it and call it a day.  

The shoot out exists for one purpose: entertainment.  Coasting in at 3 year old speed is not the least bit entertaining (neither are shoot outs, but that's another story).

Actually, why not throw a bunch of 3 year old out there and let that decide the game?  I'd watch.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

The shoot out exists for one purpose: entertainment.  Coasting in at 3 year old speed is not the least bit entertaining (neither are shoot outs, but that's another story).

Actually, why not throw a bunch of 3 year old out there and let that decide the game?  I'd watch.

Make the mascots battle it out.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

They need to institute a chaser on shootouts.

Which works great, until he trips up the other team's shooter who then barrels into his goalie knocking him out for the next 4 months with a torn ACL.

Have to look at the full picture and all the cascading consequences.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

To me, what would be entertaining is more three on three. Just turn the clock off and play it out until someone scores.  

Want to add some flavor to the mix?  My hot take from there is to not allow a puck possessor to willingly exit the offensive zone…if they do, they have to dump the puck in the corner and the defending team gets it. Something similar was suggested by @Taro T and I think he is onto something.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Or as others have said a shot clock. From the moment you touch the puck at center ice, you get 5 or 6 seconds to shoot the puck. If you don't, its like the shot clock expiring in the NBA, you forfeit the attempt.  

3 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

My hot take from there is to not allow a puck possessor to willingly exit the offensive zone…if they do, they have to dump the puck in the corner and the defending team gets it. 

A version of a 'reverse off sides'. I like it, or at least a variation of it.

Some very, VERY early observations from the first week of the season:

-Good thing I don't gamble.  If I had to pick 3 teams I thought would take a step back this year, I would have picked Vegas, Boston, and Pittsburgh.  They are a combined 7w-1L.  Two teams I thought would fly out of the gate were Buffalo and Edmonton. So far a combined 0w-4L.

-Elias Petterson has to be recognized soon as an NHL superstar.  Probably my favorite player in the league to watch right now, he doesn't get the attention being on the west coast and in Canada the way he should.

-Philly may not be awful this year. They won't be good, but their D-unit actually plays 'above average'. (without Risto in it)

-Is Austin Matthews really the 60 goal scorer he was from 2 years ago and last year he nursed an injury? Or is he more of the 40 goal scorer he was last year? So far it looks like he is the 60 goal scorer and last year he was a bit injured and that held him back.

-Toronto still lacks depth, but they are going to punish their top line to make up for it.  Marner is averaging almost 24 minutes per game, as a forward. Matthew Knies is NOT going to be their savior this year (like you would think by listening to/reading some leaf fans)

-Ottawa looks for real. The Rangers don't look presidents tropy worthy, but they are solid everywhere with few weaknesses.

-Seth Jones used to be very good, then for some reason about 2 years ago he started to play awful, at both ends of the ice but in particular the D-Zone. He was on a bad Blackhawks team but you have to play some pretty bad hockey to be a -75 over 2 seasons. Well,  I've watched 2 games of him this year and, again its early, but he looks really good to me (other than one awful giveaway I saw). Could be a big bounce back/comeback season for him.

Edited by mjd1001

7 hours ago, inkman said:

Preach 

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I’d settle for a Beater

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Some very, VERY early observations from the first week of the season:

-Good thing I don't gamble.  If I had to pick 3 teams I thought would take a step back this year, I would have picked Vegas, Boston, and Pittsburgh.  They are a combined 7w-1L.  Two teams I thought would fly out of the gate were Buffalo and Edmonton. So far a combined 0w-4L.

-Elias Petterson has to be recognized soon as an NHL superstar.  Probably my favorite player in the league to watch right now, he doesn't get the attention being on the west coast and in Canada the way he should.

-Philly may not be awful this year. They won't be good, but their D-unit actually plays 'above average'. (without Risto in it)

-Is Austin Matthews really the 60 goal scorer he was from 2 years ago and last year he nursed an injury? Or is he more of the 40 goal scorer he was last year? So far it looks like he is the 60 goal scorer and last year he was a bit injured and that held him back.

-Toronto still lacks depth, but they are going to punish their top line to make up for it.  Marner is averaging almost 24 minutes per game, as a forward. Matthew Knies is NOT going to be their savior this year (like you would think by listening to/reading some leaf fans)

-Ottawa looks for real. The Rangers don't look presidents tropy worthy, but they are solid everywhere with few weaknesses.

-Seth Jones used to be very good, then for some reason about 2 years ago he started to play awful, at both ends of the ice but in particular the D-Zone. He was on a bad Blackhawks team but you have to play some pretty bad hockey to be a -75 over 2 seasons. Well,  I've watched 2 games of him this year and, again its early, but he looks really good to me (other than one awful giveaway I saw). Could be a big bounce back/comeback season for him.

-Elias Pettersson, yeah, he is awesome.  What kind of a contract do you think he is going to sign?  It’s going to be epic.

-I think maybe the issue with Seth Jones is that he was a little overrated.  He was consistently on a pair with Werenski for years and they were awesome together.  Looks like maybe it was Werenski lifting up Jones a bit instead of the other way around.  Werenski is a top 10 D in this league.  Jones is a good player, but he isn’t as good as what he was billed as.

8 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

and yet, Philly shut him down totally tonight and shook him up a little as well. Very good player, yes. Superstar? Hmmm, not so sure. 

8 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

-Philly may not be awful this year. They won't be good, but their D-unit actually plays 'above average'. (without Risto in it).

but, but....Torts is a dinosaur out of step with modern hockey so that can't be possible can it?

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

and yet, Philly shut him down totally tonight and shook him up a little as well. Very good player, yes. Superstar? Hmmm, not so sure. 

but, but....Torts is a dinosaur out of step with modern hockey so that can't be possible can it?

Are super stars never allowed to be shut down? McDavid was absent from the Vancouver game (against pettersson), is mcdavid just very good?

Pettersson is a 100 point player lmao

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Are super stars never allowed to be shut down? McDavid was absent from the Vancouver game (against pettersson), is mcdavid just very good?

Pettersson is a 100 point player lmao

idc how much you laugh your a## off (is that even possible?) and I said he was a very good player but that word "super star" gets tossed around too easily imo. Crosby was a superstar. McDavid is a super star. Bedard might become one. Perreault was one. LaFontaine maybe. Probably. Only two Sabres I'd put in that category. Word gets tossed around too easily these days imo. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Dan Vlader is expected to start in Buffalo tomorrow for the Flames. This is good and we should put as many shots from everywhere on him. 

We're still going to see a lot of the back ups I think and we have to take advantage of that while we have it.  Vladar was pretty good a year ago but he's definitely back up caliber. 

2 minutes ago, Two or less said:

Obviously very early, but something to keep an eye out as we chase for a playoff spot is Ottawa and Detroit look VERY good to start the season.

Ottawa has 18 goals so far this season.

Detroit has 17 goals so far this season.

Both still have a period to play tonight.

This is not good. Need one if not both of those teams to level off and lose a few games.  

59 minutes ago, Two or less said:

Obviously very early, but something to keep an eye out as we chase for a playoff spot is Ottawa and Detroit look VERY good to start the season.

Ottawa has 18 goals so far this season.

Detroit has 17 goals so far this season.

Both still have a period to play tonight.

Ottawa beat the Caps while Detroit beat the Pens. Two old teams dropping down the standings.

At least there were no loser points.