How concerned is Sabrespace about the defense and goaltending?

GASabresIUFAN

Lets be honest, the defense and goaltending, especially the last 2 preseason games, has been lousy. So how concerned are you heading into the season?  

I don’t like the D pairings. I don’t care about R/L balance.  I do care about players that work well together and the early returns on Dahlin/Clifton aren’t good.  I also don’t like the return of Power/Joki.  I’m glad Joki is healthy and he has had some positive moments on the offensive side, but his defense is clearly still lacking.  There is no excuse, even in pre-season, for giving up 7 goals.  During the CBJ broadcast, they showed the High Danger chances allowed in the 1st 2 periods and we had allowed 15 and it wasn’t any better in the 3rd.  Against Pitt, the chances were worse. This is not acceptable any longer and can’t continue into the season.  If it does, this won’t be a playoff team.

I also don’t like that DG hasn’t played the new players more in pre-season.

As to the goaltending, I’m not sure what condition it’s in because they haven’t been given much of a chance.  Levi let in some softies against Pitt and UPL has as well in each of his starts.  Given they have started the last 2 games, I suspect they are 1 & 2 in the G rotation.  

DG has a pile of work to do before the season starts on the 12th.  Most of all, he needs to get the team playing with some urgency coming out of the gate.  Pitts and CBJ had urgency already, the question is why didn’t we?

D pairings I’d like DG to try

1. Bring back Mule and Dahlin.

2. Power Clifton

3. Joki and Johnson - This would allow Joki to be the O catalyst for this pair.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

If they claim they still see something in UPL, then I'm convinced he has stag photos of the front office and has them comprimised into lying. I see nothing in him. Go with Comrie for now as the backup and waive UPL. He is no loss. 

Levi did look a bit lost last night but I'll question the entire team in regards to focus and playing not to get hurt. The sky isn't falling and I'll just wait until the real games start. Stating anything now on what to expect is meaningless. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I think it's way too early/too small of a sample size to draw any conclusions about the defensive pairings. I'm definitely underwhelmed so far. If this goes on for a long stretch and he doesn't try swapping up pairs, then I'll be more concerned.

With regards to goaltending I'm no more concerned now than I was before. Which is to say a fair bit of concern. We have a rookie goaltender who could be great but is being asked to do far too much. I don't have a ton of faith in either of the others to be a consistent backup. I'd give the edge to Comrie though

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Clifton is bottom pairing at best. Doesn’t have the hockey IQ to play this system. If he’s getting top pairing minutes we’re doomed. 

Apparently the top 6 doesn't have the IQ to play this system as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

I would've liked to see the Sabres pick up a starting goalie and one more good defenseman during the offseason. I like Erik Johnson but it seems he's like an Okposo -- at the tail end of his career. Better for advice than function. Clifton will eventually settle in, I have no doubt. I would just assume trade Luukonen and Comrie. Both are too inconsistent and I think the mold has been cast for those two. Maybe even a different defense coach. Whatever they're doing at this time, defense and goaltending, it's not working.

• Like (+1) 1

I am concerned about the goaltending for obvious reasons - a rookie and two unproven backups is a high risk situation.   

Only slightly concerned about the defensive players because the pairings will be tweaked until DG finds the optimal combinations.  Talent wise we have some very good players on the blue line. 

Very concerned about “the system” when it comes to playing defense and protecting a lead.  This includes the play of the forwards.   

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I am concerned about the goaltending for obvious reasons - a rookie and two unproven backups is a high risk situation.   

Only slightly concerned about the defensive players because the pairings will be tweaked until DG finds the optimal combinations.  Talent wise we have some very good players on the blue line. 

Very concerned about “the system” when it comes to playing defense and protecting a lead.  This includes the play of the forwards.   

This seems defensively we're looking more at coaching than the players. Unless the players aren't fitted to the system. I tend to think it's coaching/system.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Radar said:

This seems defensively we're looking more at coaching than the players. Unless the players aren't fitted to the system. I tend to think it's coaching/system.

I think the coaching is something that bares watching. It’s up to DG and his staff to get buy in across the roster to playing with better defensive structure.  The quicker they get the puck out, the quicker they can transition to offense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

26 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I have watched very little of the preseason.  Until the Sabres show they can play solid team defense, and finally have some above average goaltending, IMO DG & KA are skating on thin ice. 

Pegula’s opinion might differ.  With the Bills being bonafide contenders and the new stadium in work, what are Pegula’s goals for the  Sabres?   Adam’s is on a slow, steady rebuild, and has been given lots of leeway.  When does ownership press for more results?  

I don’t see that KA or DG have any risk right now, even with their self proclaimed higher expectations to make the playoff.  On top of that I don’t trust Pegula to find and hire someone better. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

Thing is, if they bump Clifton down off the top pairing and reduce his PK usage until he gets things figured out, that alone will go a long way towards making the GTing and the defense look reasonable/good.

Both PK goals he was too high in the zone.  The Geno goal, just a bit; the 7th goal, he was on the Sabres' F's back pocket while the puck was below the goal line on his side of the ice.

He is still pretty much lost in the new team's system.  He was a good pick up and he'll figure it out.  But letting him play lower in the lineup until he does will go a long way towards facilitating that.  And if it results in them winning a few more games than they're going to letting him learn on the top pairing, well, so be it.  😉

In no way am saying Clifton is the only issue.  But address that and pretty sure the others are manageable.

• Agree 1

I will, for the first time, question management ability if the rumour of Bryson making theteam is true.  

I don’t care if he is friends with everyone  and a good teammate.  You can not be a serious playoff team and have him in the lineup. 
 Still 5 days away and I know he won’t be in the opening lineup but knowing he is 1 injury away 🤬🤬🤬🤬

• Like (+1) 1

Give me at least 10 games to see the trend before I even think about planting my flag on this season…

Goaltending will be my focus.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

If the Sabres fail to meet expectations this season 

KA isn’t going anywhere, he will get at least one more HC Hire

DG will survive another season, but His Assistants won’t. 

This is subject to change in the unlikely event that RBA doesn’t sign an extension with Carolina 

17 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I will, for the first time, question management ability if the rumour of Bryson making theteam is true.  

I don’t care if he is friends with everyone  and a good teammate.  You can not be a serious playoff team and have him in the lineup. 
 Still 5 days away and I know he won’t be in the opening lineup but knowing he is 1 injury away 🤬🤬🤬🤬

Ryan Johnson will be the replacement defender for any long term injury 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

If the Sabres fail to meet expectations this season 

KA isn’t going anywhere, he will get at least one more HC Hire

DG will survive another season, but His Assistants won’t. 

This is subject to change in the unlikely event that RBA doesn’t sign an extension with Carolina 

Ryan Johnson will be the replacement defender for any long term injury 

Agreed w/ all the above.

But, IF that comes to fruition, will be extremely frustrating because there should've been adjustment to the bench coaches THIS offseason.

• Thanks (+1) 1

It’s still very surprising the only adds on D were Clifton and old man johnson.  Nobody else brought in to pair with Levi.  

Seems like this team is just ready to take off with one or two big moves.  Frustrating either the Sabres don’t see it or cost of acquisition was too high.  Let’s see how it goes.  If it goes poorly how long will KA take to adjust his plan?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.