What can we expect from the Sabres Power play?

dudacek

With the opening night roster mostly on display tonight, I’m curious if we are going to get a preview of how the PP is going to lineup.

The Sabres had a good power play statistically last year, but that was mostly the creation of a monster first half that relied heavily on Tage Thompson’s bomb from the left wall.

The unit wavered in the spring and didn’t seem to adjust well when teams took Tage away.

The base seemed to consistently be Tage, Tuch and Skinner low, and Dahlin as the QB. Cozens seemed to take most of the right wall duty away from Olofsson, at least as the season went on.

Power always ran PP2, with Mitts, Olofsson, Cozens, Quinn, Peterka and Okposo getting the majority of looks in support.

How would you tweak the PP this year and what do you think Donnie will do?

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

I don’t care if they keep the alignment same as last year, but gat damn they need another play besides pass around and see if someone leaves Tage open for the one-timer.

It's insanely frustrating.  Not quite as frustrating as watching olofsson get smothered on the wall when he's out there, but still frustrating.  

I'd like to see dahlin shoot more to help break up the opposing team structure, get some rebounds, make them chase.  And I'd also like to see a behind the net play with someone like tuch or cozens because they're going to take that Tage pass 99x out of 100, which should give you a window to try and attack from the high slot.  

• Agree 1

Personally, would run 

Tuch

Thompson    Benson (as long as he's here, why not try it)   Cozens

Dahlin

with

Skinner

Peterka/Krebs  Mittelstadt   Olofsson (if he's in the top 12)

Power

as the 2nd unit.

Not of fan of Skinner down low, but that's where he seems to want to be and if they bump him off the top unit they'll definitely throw him a bone.

Peterka/Krebs is a placeholder until Quinn is healthy.  At which point Peterka can take VO's spot on the other half wall.

And would absolutely 100% change up the entries.  They have to be one of the 5 worst teams in the league on PP entries.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I don’t care if they keep the alignment same as last year, but gat damn they need another play besides pass around and see if someone leaves Tage open for the one-timer.

Tage should just rip slappers regardless of if a defender is in the way. After you take a few 100mph pucks you won't be stepping in his way much longer.

• Disagree 1

140 goals for the season, 35 goals during the playoffs. That's what "we" can expect from the Sabres Power play.

Of course, "expecting" and "delivered" are where our stats math guru's can "dose the reality", followed up and supported by the rest of us as we do our Popeye the Sailor impersonations with beer....aka, spinach 😀 

11 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

140 goals for the season, 35 goals during the playoffs. That's what "we" can expect from the Sabres Power play.

Of course, "expecting" and "delivered" are where our stats math guru's can "dose the reality", followed up and supported by the rest of us as we do our Popeye the Sailor impersonations with beer....aka, spinach 😀 

How many goals against though?

Just run the damn thing from below the goal line and those one-timers will open up even more.  It should also reduce short-handed opportunities against as the defense is forced to play lower in the zone.

I still wait for the day some NHL team uses this and shows success.. and they will show success. 

20 minutes ago, LTS said:

Just run the damn thing from below the goal line and those one-timers will open up even more.  It should also reduce short-handed opportunities against as the defense is forced to play lower in the zone.

I still wait for the day some NHL team uses this and shows success.. and they will show success. 

I know right.  It’s weird that this is very rarely done by any team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.