Training Camp Roster Moves

Brawndo

22 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Odds are, given his stats and pre-season performance, that he wouldn’t be claimed.  If he is, so what!  He likely has no trade value and therefore no asset value, so what are we losing except a bad goalie who isn’t helping the team.  In truth Cooley and Tokarski are as good if not better players.  

Dumping him would open a roster spot for someone who might actually help the team like Savoie or Biro or open a spot for a waiver claim from another team.  I’ve seen a few D on the waivers who I would much rather have than Clague, Bryson or Stillman such as Caleb Jones or a goalie like Dreidger.

Maybe KA is holding onto three due to the TB situation.  Not that they will trade a goalie to TB per se, but whoever does may be looking for a depth/AHL goalie and maybe KA flips UPL for a 3rd round pick or some such.

21 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

According to people here his value is that he is 24, might be claimed on waivers because he may possibly develop into a serviceable goalie sometime in the future eventually.  It certainly not that he is an NHL goalie now that can help the Sabres make the playoffs this season.

But if he gets claimed he will be on some team's NHL roster; otherwise he gets returned to the Sabres org.

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Stillman, Clague and Biro cleared waivers 

As stated in one of the other threads, not as upset about the 3 headed monster and keeping Bryson as the designated pressbox D-man now that Stillman cleared.

Still not happy about those, but not ticked either.

Until the injury bug hits the Sabres, the Amerks might have their best D-corp since well before Donner the Hutt broke up the marriage.

17 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I really don’t care. Bryson is the 7th Dman and Stillman and Clague are still in the organization. Ryan Johnson, Metsa and Novikov will probably be better then all of them by mid season.

I care. This team is on the cusp of the playoffs. The #7-9 guys at the start of last season (Fitz, Pilut, Clague) combined to play 73 games. Your #7 is going to suit up 40 games minimum even with overall good health.

Metsa is on an AHL contract and could be signed by another team at any time. Novikov is at least a season or two away. Johnson may very well be stepping into the lineup this season, but I don't want to be relying on a rookie defensive D who's Pysyk-like if Samuelsson or Power misses significant time.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Metsa is on an AHL contract and could be signed by another team at any time.

No he can't.  He is either going to play the season in Rochester or his contract will be purchased by the Sabres.  Those are his two options.   His contract with the Amerks is for 2 years.

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

I care. This team is on the cusp of the playoffs. The #7-9 guys at the start of last season (Fitz, Pilut, Clague) combined to play 73 games. Your #7 is going to suit up 40 games minimum even with overall good health.

Metsa is on an AHL contract and could be signed by another team at any time. Novikov is at least a season or two away. Johnson may very well be stepping into the lineup this season, but I don't want to be relying on a rookie defensive D who's Pysyk-like if Samuelsson or Power misses significant time.

Who is Vegas #7 or Colorado’s or TB’s or Boston’s or Toronto’s? 

This board needs to stop acting like Bryson is singlehandedly going to change the fortune of this team. Some of you have gotten so obsessed with your hate for him that it is skewing your bigger picture. 

I’m not even a fan of Bryson but I thought he looked better in preseason and if Granato feels he beat out the other guys to start the year at #7 then I just shrug my shoulders.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Who is Vegas #7 or Colorado’s or TB’s or Boston’s or Toronto’s? 

This board needs to stop acting like Bryson is singlehandedly going to change the fortune of this team. Some of you have gotten so obsessed with your hate for him that it is skewing your bigger picture. 

I’m not even a fan of Bryson but I thought he looked better in preseason and if Granato feels he beat out the other guys to start the year at #7 then I just shrug my shoulders.

Beyond that, I’m willing to take Granato at his word that Bryson has in fact been much better in camp. At the end of the day, we’re complaining about a guy who is going to be in the press box most nights. I still wouldn’t be surprised if Johnson gets off to a good start and winds up shuttling back and forth to Rochester throughout the year. 

14 minutes ago, shrader said:

Beyond that, I’m willing to take Granato at his word that Bryson has in fact been much better in camp. At the end of the day, we’re complaining about a guy who is going to be in the press box most nights. I still wouldn’t be surprised if Johnson gets off to a good start and winds up shuttling back and forth to Rochester throughout the year. 

If Bryson remains the #7, he won’t be in the press box most nights. IMO….Injuries will dictate him playing in at least 40-50 games. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No he can't.  He is either going to play the season in Rochester or his contract will be purchased by the Sabres.  Those are his two options.   His contract with the Amerks is for 2 years.

I am not sure this is correct. I believe that he can sign with anyone although I don’t believe it has happened in awhile.

6 hours ago, Doohickie said:

That's not my point.  The point is, no other team is going to stick him on an NHL roster now because he might be a serviceable goalie in the future.

Chicago might claim him. They have the cap and two goalies who are waiver exempt and UPL is arguably an upgrade for both. They’re also not in any kind of win-now situation.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Nearly every defender on waivers is probably better than Bryson, including the guys we waived.  

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I would take Fitzgerald back, waive Bryson and go from there. 

Fitzgerald and Bryson are equivalent, as in they are both waiver wire fodder.  Bryson missed the wire today but he will be there by the end of the season because he’s JAG

Im glad the Sabres are done picking up guys like Fitzgerald. Stillman is literally the worst D we should have in this team, and I’m not even tying to be mean aboot it. Stillman’s a decent defensemen, he’s just has his obvious flaws

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!

29 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I am not sure this is correct. I believe that he can sign with anyone although I don’t believe it has happened in awhile.

No they can't.  They have an AHL contract.  The AHL team can trade them to another AHL team and then the parent can acquire the contract, but (for example) Ott can't sign Metsa out from under the Sabres.  This isn't the NFL practice squad.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No they can't.  They have an AHL contract.  The AHL team can trade them to another AHL team and then the parent can acquire the contract, but (for example) Ott can't sign Metsa out from under the Sabres.  This isn't the NFL practice squad.  

I swear the agreement says NHL contracts supersede AHL and it doesn’t matter the organization because AHL teams change affiliates frequently enough the AHL-only contracts are truly separate from the parent. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.