Terry Pegula named Sabres President; PSE separating Bills and Sabres

Doohickie

16 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

When things like labor rates go up the Contractor's must manage to that, the labor rate changes from year to year are not an opener for the contract.  If the contractors labor rates increase he pays it out of his own reserve or from his fee (profit).  

From the BN article, it appears they did not have all the bids in and all the suppliers selected and locked into a contract, so the numbers they started with for the project were incomplete and based on projections that are inaccurate.   We could see more significant cost growth apparently.  

There's a lotta knowledge and perspective in the above. *Stick tap*

Based on the immediate ballooning of the budget, there were clearly many "openers" for the general(s) on this deal (I appreciate that term of art). And, as has been reported many times, those openers and price escalations are a risk that the Pegulas absorbed. I imagine that there's a lot of haggling going on behind the scenes. The owner's not going to take $300M in increases lying down. OTOH, they want their project built on time.

It is quite apparent that the project bid estimate was fairly notional. There's the MWBE mandates, for example, which seemed to be mostly unfulfilled and undetermined when the bids were awarded. 

7 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

There's a lotta knowledge and perspective in the above. *Stick tap*

Based on the immediate ballooning of the budget, there were clearly many "openers" for the general(s) on this deal (I appreciate that term of art). And, as has been reported many times, those openers and price escalations are a risk that the Pegulas absorbed. I imagine that there's a lot of haggling going on behind the scenes. The owner's not going to take $300M in increases lying down. OTOH, they want their project built on time.

It is quite apparent that the project bid estimate was fairly notional. There's the MWBE mandates, for example, which seemed to be mostly unfulfilled and undetermined when the bids were awarded. 

Thanks.   I have to check myself though as commercial business is different than what I really know, which is contracting with the Government.  

As for the MWBE mandates, the government asks for proof that X% of the contract dollars go to small businesses, minority owned, women owned, etc.  And they need that proof before award.   From my experience this mandate has turned out to be mostly a good thing.  

11 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Thanks.   I have to check myself though as commercial business is different than what I really know, which is contracting with the Government.  

As for the MWBE mandates, the government asks for proof that X% of the contract dollars go to small businesses, minority owned, women owned, etc.  And they need that proof before award.   From my experience this mandate has turned out to be mostly a good thing.  

My experience is that generals on these hybrid public/private projects often struggle to comply with those mandates and frequently seek waivers. 

On 9/1/2023 at 11:27 AM, xzy89c1 said:

why are you confident they wont move?

I wish we were building a great downtown hockey rink instead of the bills stadium. I think we will end up with only 1 pro team in next ten years. With the money sunk into stadium bills are not going anywhere. Buffalo cannot support two pro teams anymore. I would vote for sabres over bills. 50 games a year with playoffs. I am being optimist i know. Bills are maybe 10 games that we care about if they get a couple home playoff games. 

Would you all rather have Bills or Sabres? I am definitely Sabres all the way

Buffalo can support 2 pro teams.  The only question is: if Terry sells, will the new owner want to keep it in Buffalo?  For those with a beef with Terry and want to see him gone, I'd be careful what you wish for.

And of the 2 teams, the Bills are infinitely more important.  Especially with keeping the Sabres in Buffalo under Terry.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I would say the estimates used for the initial cost estimate used favorable assumptions.  The eventual contracts, if they are over a multi-year period, probably baked a lot of risk into the quote, thus the increase.  If they are fixed price contracts, the bidding companies had to do that to protect their own financial interests.  If they are cost plus contracts, they price may actually come down if they bid too conservatively.

2 hours ago, Skooby said:

You’d be more right than you know

You may be right, but until someone else reports it, expect to be called out on it routinely.

Learn the lesson of a poster on HFBoards.  Very shortly after game 6 against Carolina, he reported that Jay McKee would miss game 7 with a staph infection.  Until it was confirmed 12 hours later, he took a lot of flak.  And he had never been wrong before and has never been wrong since.  Virtually none of us have a spotless track record; this, if you with a lesser record keep cramming this down people's throats, you can expect a lot of negative reactions.

Oh, and don't be insulting because someone disagrees with you.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Lance Lysowski and another TBN writer (local hagiographer Tim O’Shei) did a good job providing some perspective on the dissolution of PSE, etc.

https://buffalonews.com/news/buffalo-bills-buffalo-sabres-john-roth-terry-pegula-kim-pegula-ron-raccuia-changes/article_d3785084-4e50-11ee-9e20-3bd157f33e45.html

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Lance Lysowski and another TBN writer (local hagiographer Tim O’Shei) did a good job providing some perspective on the dissolution of PSE, etc.

https://buffalonews.com/news/buffalo-bills-buffalo-sabres-john-roth-terry-pegula-kim-pegula-ron-raccuia-changes/article_d3785084-4e50-11ee-9e20-3bd157f33e45.html

😂

Nice.

• Thanks (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Lindy also wasn't ain't goin' nowhere.

Had to Google it.

Me, too. Great word, though, and hilarious in this context.

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Brilliant.

As for the article itself, it feels very "nothing to see here" to me.

yes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.