Terry Pegula named Sabres President; PSE separating Bills and Sabres

Doohickie

Here is the full announcement:  https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/terry-pegula-sabres-president-organizational-restructure/c-345685802

There's not much to it.  It's pretty impossible to tell why they're doing it.  Could be a million reasons.

Did the music end of the business ever get off the ground?  We know the food didn't do well, and the fashion experiments were, umm...bad.  They sold off the Beauts and I don't know how well the hotel and training departments do, either.

Then there's Kim's health to consider, too.

We can speculate all month long if we want to but I don't think we're going to know anything until the next shoe drops, if even then.

Edited by Eleven

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why would he make himself  president of a team he's going to sell?

Thanks for pointing out that he named himself. That's where I'd start in critiquing the murkiness of the language. He wasn't named president.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Haha (+1) 1

Uhhhhhh....

I don’t think you have thought through this.

Just now, PASabreFan said:

Also, is PSE no more?

Who named him?

Correct. If you read the full release they said they are dissolving PSE. 

Why would he make himself  president of a team he's going to sell?

So he is in a direct position to diccuss and field offers.   My guess is this won’t happen for a couple of years.  He wants to get the team back into the playoffs, get the season ticket base back up and then sell the team.  With KA firmly in charge of the hockey side of things, TP can focus on the business end and dealing with his fellow owners.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Also, is PSE no more?

Who named him?

His parents.

• Haha (+1) 4

Interesting.  It could certainly be a precursor to a sale of one (or both) of the teams, or at least a move intended to make it easier to do so.  It could also be as simple as eliminating redundancies -- if they are going to limit their operations to the 2 teams, a parent umbrella organization, and its executives and employees, probably isn't needed. 

It does seem like this, along with the recent announcement that arena improvements are in the offing, plus a rising salary cap and a (hopefully!) team on the rise, and of course Kim's health situation, make a sale in the next couple of years more likely.

We'll see. 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Football? And don't poke me about Narrative. Terry's said as much.

@That Aud Smell is going to flip his own lid at the writing in that release. 

I never thought too much about it, but my perception is the Sabres were his love that he bought to enjoy his hard-earned money as he mentioned back in the early days. 

He bought the Bills to save the team from being bought and moved by Jon Bon Jovi et al.

From the getgo with the Bills it seemed more like a Kim thing, and if she's not in the position to be managing them, that would be the team Terry would be most likely to offload if either were on the chopping block.

Plus, with a stadium deal in place the Bills' future in Buffalo seems more secure.

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I never thought too much about it, but my perception is the Sabres were his love that he bought to enjoy his hard-earned money as he mentioned back in the early days. 

He bought the Bills to save the team from being bought and moved by Jon Bon Jovi et al.

From the getgo with the Bills it seemed more like a Kim thing, and if she's not in the position to be managing them, that would be the team Terry would be most likely to offload if either were on the chopping block.

Plus, with a stadium deal in place the Bills' future in Buffalo seems more secure.

Terry bought the Sabres to be able to make a better play at buying the Bills. He loves the Bills. He gets his mentions by the players and ESPN and all the love in the world. Half the Sabres fanbase hates him. Why wouldn’t he rather sell the Sabres? Not to mention the value of an NFL franchise is going to continue to grow faster than the value of an NHL franchise. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Why sell an asset that increases in value like the Bills? I don't see anyone lining up to pay $4B+ just to keep the team in Buffalo. As for the Sabres, there's nothing like a $850MM penalty for moving them, like the Bills have. Other than Bettman's historical reluctance to move franchises, I don't like the idea of a Sabres sale. There's no question the Sabres double or triple in value in any other city.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.