Terry Pegula named Sabres President; PSE separating Bills and Sabres

Doohickie

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

They wouldn’t stop watching the Bills, it would be more in regards to buying tickets and the like.

If the purchase of season tickets for each team is any indication of the individual game ticket buyers for both teams, then there is little overlap as Kim mentioned in March of 2022. 

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Football? And don't poke me about Narrative. Terry's said as much.

@That Aud Smell is going to flip his own lid at the writing in that release. 

Oof. It’s become the norm.

I’d bet Loonies to donuts that this is a prelude to selling the Sabres.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Oof. It’s become the norm.

I’d bet Loonies to donuts that this is a prelude to selling the Sabres.

Everything is a prelude to selling the team. If they changed hot dog vendors this place would be all "Terry is selling!"

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm sure Terry ran an operating loss with the Sabres, especially during COVID, but the franchise tripled in value while he's owned it. That said, $400MM is in the bottom three of NHL values because of the market, good team or not. Put the Sabres in Houston and they are worth a billion overnight.

I'm quite sure the league would have no problem with the Sabres moving to Houston (or Atlanta or some other U.S. market) but I also see no reason to think this is going to happen. 

I think if a team is to be sold (again, no reason to think that) it is more likely to be the Bills, as Terry's a hockey fan. 

8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm quite sure the league would have no problem with the Sabres moving to Houston (or Atlanta or some other U.S. market) but I also see no reason to think this is going to happen. 

I think if a team is to be sold (again, no reason to think that) it is more likely to be the Bills, as Terry's a hockey fan. 

No chance.  The Bills pull in huge money and are good and popular.  If anything, I can see the drag of the Sabres the past 11 years weighing on Terry.

11 minutes ago, MBD said:

No chance.  The Bills pull in huge money and are good and popular.  If anything, I can see the drag of the Sabres the past 11 years weighing on Terry.

That's not the issue. One could argue they are at peak value, and as an investment, in his mind, it might be a great time to sell at a massive profit. Depends how much he enjoys football and whether or not he really cares about owning a football team at this point in his life. 

Again, no reason to think it's in the works, but either or neither is entirely possible. The idea of minority owners was brought up earlier. Could be he plans to sell PART of the Bills but keep ALL of the Sabres. That would explain it too. 

6 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Interesting.  It could certainly be a precursor to a sale of one (or both) of the teams, or at least a move intended to make it easier to do so.  It could also be as simple as eliminating redundancies -- if they are going to limit their operations to the 2 teams, a parent umbrella organization, and its executives and employees, probably isn't needed. 

It does seem like this, along with the recent announcement that arena improvements are in the offing, plus a rising salary cap and a (hopefully!) team on the rise, and of course Kim's health situation, make a sale in the next couple of years more likely.

We'll see. 

It could also be a precursor to eventually having the kids splitting up the empire when Terry's and Kim's trips around the sun on this marble come to an end.

No idea which kids get to split the $3B+ Bills and which one ends up with the significantly less valuable Sabres.

Reminds one of this:

4 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I love the Sabres probably more than 99.5% of Bills fans and the Sabres leaving would just give me a bigger budget to spend on the Bills

If the Sabres leave, this kid just got a HUGE defacto raise and way more free time.

Would really rather they didn't and don't expect they will.

• Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2022/12/14/nhl-team-values-2022-new-york-rangers-on-top-at-22-billion/?sh=3922a1e37deb

I looked up franchise values today and I was wrong. The Sabres are still 30th in value but they are worth $610MM as of 2022. A 22% increase.

4 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Pegging 

Pegula gonna peg

Easy. @PASabreFan can only take so much excitement.

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

That's not the issue. One could argue they are at peak value, and as an investment, in his mind, it might be a great time to sell at a massive profit. Depends how much he enjoys football and whether or not he really cares about owning a football team at this point in his life. 

Again, no reason to think it's in the works, but either or neither is entirely possible. The idea of minority owners was brought up earlier. Could be he plans to sell PART of the Bills but keep ALL of the Sabres. That would explain it too. 

Even though Terry may have loved hockey more than football, after 11 years of losing games and money, fans griping about him/the team, and no one showing up to see them, you can start to lose the love.  Meanwhile the other team he bought is a perennial Superbowl contender, making gobs of money and drawing praise from the fans, and he may love that team more now.  I don't know but I can see it happening.  Let's just hope we don't find out.

7 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I never thought too much about it, but my perception is the Sabres were his love that he bought to enjoy his hard-earned money as he mentioned back in the early days. 

He bought the Bills to save the team from being bought and moved by Jon Bon Jovi et al.

From the getgo with the Bills it seemed more like a Kim thing, and if she's not in the position to be managing them, that would be the team Terry would be most likely to offload if either were on the chopping block.

Plus, with a stadium deal in place the Bills' future in Buffalo seems more secure.

I agree.  He’s in position to be the guy that saved the Bills, take the profits from that sale and focus completely on the Sabres.   

But the list of potential Loyal to Buffalo forever owners is probably …. Less then 5?

• Doohickie locked this topic
  • SDS unlocked this topic
  • SDS unlocked and pinned this topic
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.