Hellebuyck. Yes or No?

Quint

The Sabres lineup seems to be solidifying with lots of variables waiting in the wings. Who knows which of these draft choices is going to work out? I still think Buffalo needs a stud defenseman like Skjel but I think acquiring 6'4 Connor Hellebyuck would be a master stroke. (I might also go for Saros but I think two small goalies would be a negative). A Hellebyuck/Levi tandem, barring injury, would be lights out. Check the eye-opening consistency (2.97 GAA was a bad year) in the stats. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connor_Hellebuyck

Edited by Quint

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

• Quint changed the title to Hellebuyck. Yes or No?
23 minutes ago, Quint said:

What about 1-2 years?

As discussed in the other Hellebuyck thread, it's unlikely he's going to sign for a short contract, so we either pay a bunch for 1 year, pay a bunch for 1 year + a big$ extension. If Levi didn't look promising, maybe. As it is, a player with a shorter situation (i.e. Gibson but good) would make more sense.

• Agree 2

Yes.

No extension.

'24 1st, UPL or Comrie and one of Rosen, Östlund or Savoie. 

High enough price imo for a one year rental but I'd pay it. 

Contract motivated goalie meets hungry Sabres team and makes history (Stanley Cup Victory) before riding off to a another team on a huge contract and becoming an average goaltender for the rest of his career.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 5

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yes, in the right deal without an extension.

I would say this too (but not that deal @Norcalsuggested, too much). The problem is someone will offer a Norcal-like deal because they plan on extending him and they're set for GT for ~9 years (assuming he's good). Peg is going to maximize return, which means more than a rental price.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Yes.

No extension.

'24 1st, UPL or Comrie and one of Rosen, Östlund or Savoie. 

High enough price imo for a one year rental but I'd pay it. 

Contract motivated goalie meets hungry Sabres team and makes history (Stanley Cup Victory) before riding off to a another team on a huge contract and becoming an average goaltender for the rest of his career.  

Östlund and Savoi are off limits without an extention, and its Rosen and a goalie and not adding our 1st.    

Also the extension will be too rich for a goalie, how can you tell Tage and DC, that you signed them to only 7 mill a year, but your goalie makes 9mil ?

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Quint said:

The Sabres lineup seems to be solidifying with lots of variables waiting in the wings. Who knows which of these draft choices is going to work out? I still think Buffalo needs a stud defenseman like Skjel but I think acquiring 6'4 Connor Hellebyuck would be a master stroke. (I might also go for Saros but I think two small goalies would be a negative). A Hellebyuck/Levi tandem, barring injury, would be lights out. Check the eye-opening consistency (2.97 GAA was a bad year) in the stats. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connor_Hellebuyck

You aren’t getting Hell-ah-bew-sick (my preferred pronunciation) without giving up Levi.  Stop the nonsense.  

oh and how many Hellebuyck threads do we need. 

• Agree 1

I would do it for a 1 year rental.  Let Levi gradually develop into the starter for the following season.

Im not giving up a top prospect for him though because who are we even bidding against?

UPL, VO, 2nd  take it or they keep Hellebuyck and lose him for nothing to UFA next summer.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Thought you were referring to Lord Stanley's Chalice.  

What?  That DIDN'T work for the Jets?  😜

Logan Stanley. He's young still 😉

I think the Sabres can win it all with a focused Hellebuyck.

He is playing for his last big payday and the cap is going up at a perfect time for him. 

Someone will pay out the nose if he and the Sabres go deep in the playoffs.

Not Buffalo but somebody. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 7/11/2023 at 4:26 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yes, in the right deal without an extension.

Adamant no, unless there is an extension. Even if it were for two years. If the Sabres were looking to make another deal I would prefer it would be for another 4/5 defenseman. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.