Sabres 2023 Draft Class

Thorny

4C6E955A-65EE-443B-AD5E-1359F8FD2C80.thumb.jpeg.86de9e77f02b24587eb06c03525c64fd.jpeg

Very balanced, to my eye.

1. Four defensemen, 2 of which are RHD (the higher selections)
  2. The usual swing at a goalie
  3. Three forwards, with Benson being arguably a top 5 in-draft talent. Likely represents our top prospect at this time.

Too early for grades? General thoughts..

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I’m disappointed there were no member meltdowns when their favorite player was not drafted by the Sabres(pick a round, any round).  😂😂

What about generic meltdowns over GMKA not trading picks?

• Haha (+1) 3

Nice draft.  Added a super high upside talent, a couple needed RD prospects, a couple big strapping raw forward prospects, a nice goalie prospect, and couple lottery ticket defensemen at the end of the draft.

Yeah, pretty balanced.  No crazy reaches.  I’m very happy with it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I'm very happy with the draft.  

I think Benson is a huge steal at 13.  

I really like Strbak at 45.  

Wahlberg and McCarthy have the potential to develop into players who outperform their draft positions.  

I also think Raztlaff is a steal in the 5th rd.  

I agree with others that Benson is now our top prospect.  

All in all, I think KA and his team did a fine job.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

I like the draft a lot. Benson should fit into the emerging top 6 of the future, and may end up being Skinner’s eventual replacement.  I don’t think his size will be too much of an issue as we should still have Cozens, Thompson, and Tuch in the top 6, as well as average sized players in Quinn and JJP who should round it out. (Obviously a number of other prospects will be vying for top 6 minutes in the next few years)

Wahlberg should fit in nicely as a 3 or 4C for us in the future. He’ll bring some size to our bottom six and will have the skill to keep up with the skilled wingers that don’t make the top 6. 

Strbak was a great pick, and I see him developing into a solid stay at home Dman, either as a 4 or 5D. It’ll take some time for him to get there though, so we need to add another Dman this offseason. 

McCarthy also has a shot at becoming a bottom pairing defenseman for the Sabres, or at least Quality depth. Local kid that probably fits the wanting of on be here bill. 

I like the shot at the goalie, he’s got an outside shot at becoming something. Nice to see the goalie pipeline getting stocked back up. 

Not much opinion on the rest, but I like what we came away with. Excited for free agency and seeing if we can get some help on defense, but this is a good start to the offseason. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

I like the draft a lot. Benson should fit into the emerging top 6 of the future, and may end up being Skinner’s eventual replacement.  I don’t think his size will be too much of an issue as we should still have Cozens, Thompson, and Tuch in the top 6, as well as average sized players in Quinn and JJP who should round it out. (Obviously a number of other prospects will be vying for top 6 minutes in the next few years)

Wahlberg should fit in nicely as a 3 or 4C for us in the future. He’ll bring some size to our bottom six and will have the skill to keep up with the skilled wingers that don’t make the top 6. 

Strbak was a great pick, and I see him developing into a solid stay at home Dman, either as a 4 or 5D. It’ll take some time for him to get there though, so we need to add another Dman this offseason. 

McCarthy also has a shot at becoming a bottom pairing defenseman for the Sabres, or at least Quality depth. Local kid that probably fits the wanting of on be here bill. 

I like the shot at the goalie, he’s got an outside shot at becoming something. Nice to see the goalie pipeline getting stocked back up. 

Not much opinion on the rest, but I like what we came away with. Excited for free agency and seeing if we can get some help on defense, but this is a good start to the offseason. 

Well said.  So, I will just add "Welcome to the Sabres organization!", to all the young men and good luck in your future.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't understand the Wahlberg pick, but he has size, and skill.  So it may make sense.  The rest of the picks I really liked.  Loved Ratzlaf in the 5th.  I loved Benson at 13th overall.  As a BPA that's the type you want to fall.  Amazing away from the puck and a ring rat.  All things I love.  When Reinbacher, Simashev and Willander all off the board, it was BPA.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

All a long way off but that's what the draft is for. 2-4 years of development and hoping a few hit down the road. 

Not a big fan of overpaying in FA so I hope a couple trades can happen. Opener still 13-14 weeks away so I get to read the ususal panic stricken posters freaking out daily until moves are made. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

4C6E955A-65EE-443B-AD5E-1359F8FD2C80.thumb.jpeg.86de9e77f02b24587eb06c03525c64fd.jpeg

Very balanced, to my eye.

1. Four defensemen, 2 of which are RHD (the higher selections)
  2. The usual swing at a goalie
  3. Three forwards, with Benson being arguably a top 5 in-draft talent. Likely represents our top prospect at this time.

Too early for grades? General thoughts..

I was very happy with this class, to land a talent like Benson at 13 is really just a homerun for me. I know people see the size and immediately just think he'll be a pushover but the dude is legit scrappy and has a very nice defensive game as well. Every pick was over 6' after benson so i love that they are recognizing that you also need size to go along with skill in the form of the Kings back when they won the Cup with Dustin brown, Jeff carter, Anze kopitar, marian Gaborik, Tanner Pearson, Drew daughty. I like what we're doing and I'm really feeling good about this class and the season . Let's get a goalie, top 4 defensemen maybe now add a veteran W who can replace Quinn's production and lets finally make the damn playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, R_Dudley said:

I haven't posted in a long time but never stopped following or keeping up reading here off and on. I like your summary and would just add that what a difference having a good analytics department and solid hockey leadership make for a positive feeling about this year's selections along with the previous body of work over the last few years. It really does feel different with what's being done with this team. 

Good to see ya sir!  Don't be a stranger.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 D, Size, Goalie

what are some people going to complain about now?😁

We got a stud talent in Benson and filled some needs on the backend, a goalie with upside and some big forwards.

The pipeline is really stocked

Time to turn attention to free agency and trades to round out the Sabres roster.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Do we get the required 2 NHLers from this draft? 

Benson is a lock. For me, Strbak is likely. There's a tier after these 2 though, IMO.

Wahlberg and McCarthy have a shot. The rest have a shot in the dark. 

You really need 3.  2 is the absolute minimum.  Benson is a given. After that Strbak will likely play in the NHL given the type of game he plays.  I disagree that Ratzlaff is a shot in the dark. This is a talented athletic goalie who was discounted because of height.  He is on a similar development track to Levi.  

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You really need 3.  2 is the absolute minimum.  Benson is a given. After that Strbak will likely play in the NHL given the type of game he plays.  I disagree that Ratzlaff is a shot in the dark. This is a talented athletic goalie who was discounted because of height.  He is on a similar development track to Levi.  

He's a 5th round pick, it's much more likely he never plays in the NHL. We're already comparing Levi to Hasek I don't think I'm ready to call this dude the new, new Hasek

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He's a 5th round pick, it's much more likely he never plays in the NHL. We're already comparing Levi to Hasek I don't think I'm ready to call this dude the new, new Hasek

With goalies you never know... could be... could never hear about him ever???

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

Goalies are different.  They often take longer to develop and therefore get drafted later.  Miller was a 5th rd pick, Levi a 7th, Ullmark a 6th and Petersen a 5th.  I also said similar development path as Levi.  I didn’t say as good as Levi.  We’ll know more next season when he is the man in Seattle and hopefully plays for Canada at the U20s like Levi did.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.