Rd 1, Pick 13: Zach Benson

SDS

2 minutes ago, Derrico said:

@LGR4GM

Early to ask but do u know of Benson would be eligible for AHL in D+2 season or is he like Savoie and would have to go back to WHL?

It depends on if the WHL counts the 24 games he played as a 16yr old as an accrued season. If they do, then he would have 4 years in the WHL after this season and my understanding is that it is either turn 20 before Jan 1 or accrue 4 seasons to be AHL eligible. Someone can double check that. My guess is that with 24games played that first season counts so he is required to do one more. Hard for me to answer because I might be wrong on the 4 seasons thing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

This is an impressive player. 

I don't even know what to make of that video...he is almost like a magician that knows how to set up a player to do exactly what he wants and then uses it against him.

2nd all time in assists created/60 to McDavid and he was closer to McDavid than 3rd place was to him...

Also top 10 all time in steals/60. 

Won the best defensive forward award as well, and has tremendous back checking skill and defensive stickwork...scored more short hands goals than power play goals...

Almost like a cross between Danny Briere and Jason Pominville.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, matter2003 said:

I don't even know what to make of that video...he is almost like a magician that knows how to set up a player to do exactly what he wants and then uses it against him.

2nd all time in assists created/60 to McDavid and he was closer to McDavid than 3rd place was to him...

Also top 10 all time in steals/60. 

Won the best defensive forward award as well, and has tremendous back checking skill and defensive stickwork...scored more short hands goals than power play goals...

Almost like a cross between Danny Briere and Jason Pominville.

Keep in mind that's one person's tracking data but still impressive. 

His hockey IQ is an elite trait though. Very manipulative with the puck. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Our prospect pool is looking weak at D, but it shouldn’t matter considering the youth and talent on the nhl D core currently - as long as they make a significant move or two to address RHD in the now term. Can replenish the high end D pool later, and some of the depth tomorrow. But there would be years to do it.

At forward the pool looks stacked, I think our top 5 rivals any other team and surpasses most, maybe even all. You can haggle with the rankings but 

1 Benson

2 Savoie

3 Kulich

4 Östlund

5 Rosen

6 Johnson

Adding a new #1 to an already strong unit is always exciting 

I think top 5 are their own tier and coincidentally first D on list imo would be at 6 in RJ. Obviously Levi I’ve just graduated already 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Yes they are.  That is immaterial.  Again, how many of them can the team realistically use?  I just rattled off ten young forwards.  Normally only twelve start an NHL game.  The post I responded to was, in turn, responding to my post suggesting that Benson makes Savoie (or any of the others) tradeable.  Which now needs to happen because these guys are all blocking each other.

They may start blocking each other, but not for a couple of years.  Of the potential top-6 guys, Kulich, Rosen and Kisakov were the only ones in Rochester last year, and only Neuchev is joining next year. 

Benson -- at least 1 and maybe 2 more years in juniors, then most likely 1 year in the AHL

Savoie -- almost certainly 1 more year in juniors, then most likely 1 year in the AHL

Östlund -- committed to another year in Sweden, then most likely 1 year in the AHL

Rosen -- at least 1 more season in Rochester

Kulich -- probably will play at least 75% of this season in Rochester

Neuchev -- kind of a flyer & will probably need at least 2 years in Rochester

Kisakov -- also a flyer

Rousek -- more of a bottom-6 guy

The Sabres have plenty of time, and plenty of roster spots in Rochester, to let this play out.

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I've seen Mitch Marner more than once

Say it brother!  Testify!

• Like (+1) 6

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Simashev and Moore seem to be increasingly likely at 13 when you match the descriptions, the mocks and the Sabres needs and values.

Increasingly looking like Benson might slip.

Not a need, but he seems like a Sabre and he's top 5 talent in some years. 

It would be hard to pass on him if he's there.

Just wanted to give myself a Pat on the back here. 😜

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

He's probably the most skilled guy left. Good pick. 

He was definitely the most skilled guy left. He is behind Michkov and Bedard. Power, and the fact he’s not a centre, are the reasons why Smith, Carlsson and Fantilli were ranked ahead, not talent.

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

This is Jeff Skinner’s Replacement on the Top Line 

Good call. It’s a perfect fit: age and game.

5 hours ago, nfreeman said:

FWIW, ESPN has him at 5'9", 163 lbs.

170 and a shade under 5’10” at the combine. He projects into a Marchand physique.

5 hours ago, shrader said:

I’d say that the only thing blocking guys taken at this stage of the draft is their on play. If they play to their potential, there’s a spot available on any team. 

Another good observation. I dont buy the “no room” angst. The Sabres forward prospect pool is crucible where no one is handed anything and the strong should survive.

No team sucked because they had a 1st liner on their 3rd line.

3 hours ago, ... said:

I love this kid. Everything about him is perfect: attitude, skill, the way he instinctively uses his team mates and how he thinks around the opposing players, the look in his eyes makes me smile. 

As @LGR4GM said, he is instantly our best prospect. He's young and could easily grow a few more inches before seeing the NHL. 

This kid was a steal and we're going to love him when he gets here.

I think the skeptics just need to watch. To quote our GM “he’s a Sabre”

3 hours ago, Cascade Youth said:

He makes Rosen immediately expendable, not Savoie.

Always use the draft stockpile talent, not to fill needs.  Wanted a trade up for Michkov but this is the second best outcome.

Not withstanding my post two replies up, this makes it easier to move a prospect to get the defender we need.

My immediate take:

The hardest single thing to get in the draft is top-end skill, particularly combined with top-end compete.

As a prospect this player combines the two better than Savoie, better than Kulich, probably even better than Quinn.

He needs to get stronger and I bet he will.

I think we got lucky.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Michkov aside, we had Zach Benson as the best prospect available at this spot. Still, the Sharks needed a franchise center desperately and Smith has everything necessary to become an All-Star. Even if they may have passed on a better prospect, in a vacuum, the Sharks are getting a player worthy of a fourth overall selection.

Bleacherreport commenting on the SJS will smith pick at number 4 /

• Like (+1) 1

From the Athletic:

[Benson] just led his forwards in minutes while playing on the first power play and first penalty kill.

“He’s the guy that the other team has tried to shut down, or gone after, or been physical on,” Patrick said.

But it’s that defensive game — a rare strength for a 5-foot-9, 163-pound player — and not the team-leading 98 points he scored in 60 games, that defines him according to Patrick

The first time Aidelbaum [his power skating coach] saw him skate, she harkened back to a trio of old clients: Pavel Bure, Cliff Ronning and Sam Reinhart.

He doesn’t have Bure’s starting can’t-catch-him explosiveness, but he blends his power with his acceleration into a similar mechanic. And he skates with the same consistency as Reinhart.

“When he’s on the ice skating it doesn’t matter whether he’s skating with or without the puck. Nothing changes with his speed or acceleration. Sam Reinhart, it doesn’t matter, his skating does not change when he gets the puck on his stick and Zach fits into that mold as well,” Aidelbaum said

Though Benson doesn’t have the highest top-end on the Ice (that mantle belongs to Savoie), Patrick calls him a strong skater in his own right.

“I think he’s got a very good stride. And agility is part of skating and he’s got really good agility. His side-to-side mobility, his backwards to forwards mobility is top-end. His quick feet are top-end,” Patrick said. “(And) I think it’ll continue to get better because he’s got such good knee bend that when his legs and ass get stronger, it’s just going to give him more power.”

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

1 Benson

2 Savoie

3 Kulich

4 Östlund

5 Rosen

They all have potential, but my problem is that we have too many guys with similarities. This is either keep throwing things at the same target hoping one will stick or eventually you need to flip some of these guys for need. 

Hopefully things change after the next few rounds but (although I generally do believe in BPA) we still lack D prospects and to some extent goaltenders. We also do not have many prospects who project to be 2 way players, checkers, or physical lower end guys. At some point this has to be addressed. 

Edited by PerreaultForever

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

They all have potential, but my problem is that we have too many guys with similarities. This is either keep throwing things at the same target hoping one will stick or eventually you need to flip some of these guys for need. 

Hopefully things change after the next few rounds but (although I generally do believe in BPA) we still lack D prospects and to some extent goaltenders. We also do not have many prospects who project to be 2 way players, checkers, or physical lower end guys. At some point this has to be addressed. 

I acknowledge the truth in what you are saying here: we don’t seem to have many Mike Griers or Marcus Folignos in the pipeline and guys like that are needed.

However, it would be a mistake to think this means the guys we are collecting can’t battle or play defence. Benson, for example, gets in the dirty areas, and is considered one of the top defensive players in the Western Hockey League. By and large, the high pick forward we have taken are diligent, smart and brave and should become as capable of playing playoff hockey as the Yanni Gourdes and Ondrej Palats.

Besides, guys like Foligno and Grier aren’t typically getting taken in the 1st round. You hope the Kozaks and Novikovs can provide some of that.

Sabres have this for a 24 and under forward unit

Peterka - Cozens - Quinn

Benson - Mittelstadt - Savoie

Kulich - Krebs - Rosen

Poltapov - Östlund - Kisakov

Average age: 20.4

Could have really made it a 22 and under if I kept Mittelstadt off the list, but felt right to include him. This is all behind the current top line.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.