Rd 1, Pick 13: Zach Benson

SDS

I know very little about NHL draft prospects beyond Connor Bedard, Fantilli, and the Russian guy who is great but might not make it over to North America so fast.  Based on what I am seeing, Benson was clearly the BPA at 13 and looks like a steal at that spot.  The Sabres are going to have to move some forward prospect(s) for defensive prospects, although if they draft one goalie and the rest defensemen with the remainder of their picks, they'll be fine as far as young players and can acquire some veteran defensive help via free agency.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Sabres73 said:

Every single one of them are quality assets.

Yes they are.  That is immaterial.  Again, how many of them can the team realistically use?  I just rattled off ten young forwards.  Normally only twelve start an NHL game.  The post I responded to was, in turn, responding to my post suggesting that Benson makes Savoie (or any of the others) tradeable.  Which now needs to happen because these guys are all blocking each other.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Oh no… He’s not a 6‘6“ power forward… He’s going to suck for his entire career 😂

but seriously…  going to be a little water bug. Is there thinking he’s going to be similar to a Tyler Ennis? Or even better? Who are his comparables?

I've seen Mitch Marner more than once

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PotentPowerPlay21 said:

Jeez! Another small skilled forward. The only thing he's missing is that he's not Swedish. Why does Buffalo hate bigger players who can win playoff type hockey? 

You mean like Thompson, Tuch, Cozens, Dahlin, Samuelsson, Power, etc.?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, PotentPowerPlay21 said:

Jeez! Another small skilled forward. The only thing he's missing is that he's not Swedish. Why does Buffalo hate bigger players who can win playoff type hockey? 

You do realize that Buffalo was not and is not one of the smaller teams in the league right?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Yes they are.  That is immaterial.  Again, how many of them can the team realistically use?  I just rattled off ten young forwards.  Normally only twelve start an NHL game.  The post I responded to was, in turn, responding to my post suggesting that Benson makes Savoie (or any of the others) tradeable.  Which now needs to happen because these guys are all blocking each other.

Immaterial? Do you know what an asset is? It's something that can be used or traded.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Certainly not.  But How many of Quinn, Savoie, Kulich, Östlund, Rosen, Rousek, Weissbach, Kisakov, Peterka, and Benson can the team realistically use?

It has nothing to do with size and everything to do with overstock.

This is fair, but rolling 3 lines that can really score is a great goal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I paid for the series on CHL tv.  Hope I still have access to rewatch    I thought that Savoie and Benson had a lot of good moments, just that the Seattle goalie had better 

They generated some chances, but it was all one-and-done. Milic completely owned Savoie all series, but I also only recall one time where Savoie elevated the puck on a shot... Milic just kept his pads on the ice and stoned him. Benson generated chances and finished more routinely.

Just now, Eleven said:

I believe it creates healthy competition, where these stockpiled highly skilled players in the pipeline will have to push themselves to the limits to earn that roster spot over the others.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Certainly not.  But How many of Quinn, Savoie, Kulich, Östlund, Rosen, Rousek, Weissbach, Kisakov, Peterka, and Benson can the team realistically use?

We are so "overstocked" with prospects talent, GMKA will have tremendous assets to choose from in making big trades at just the right time to bring in proven vets to get us over the finish line to realize Lord Stanley.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

18 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm not going to crap on this kid.  I'm going to root for him.

But part of "thou shalt not block young talent" includes not putting the young talent behind blocks to begin with! Benson is behind about 10 other young guys.  I suppose the Sabres can trade one or two of them now. 

Benson might be the best non Sabre in the pool, right now. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don’t expect anything from Weissbach or Kisakov as Sabres at all 

Rousek is also older and probably a 4th line guy 

Out of the 7 left on your list; I’m sure 1 or 2 will get traded at some point.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Out of the 7 left on your list; I’m sure 1 or 2 will get traded at some point.  

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

KA has about 6 forward blocking him.  Time to make a trade soon to help areas in need today.  

If this happens, I will be fine with the pick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.