A little NHL trivia...

Eleven

14 hours ago, French Collection said:

Thanks but you may be better at generating the next question. Besides, you got Leach, I said Watson then changed to MacLeish.

OK.  Thanks.

One of the earliest and simplest analytical tools for studying defencive and two-way play was adjusted plus-minus, i.e., a player's plus-minus relative to his team's average.  In 1987, the top 2 retired players for career adjusted plus-minus were Bobby Orr and Bobby Clarke.  What former Sabre was 3rd?

Edited by Marvin
Clarification

11 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Guessing my boy Schoenfeld but could be someone like Peca

This is 1987; too early for Peca.

It was not Schoenfeld, who was 20th.  In fact, of the top 30 retired players in 1987, 5 of them were Sabres.

For the era 1967-2001, every team (except 1) which was top 5 in adjusted +/- during any 10 year block won a Cup in that time and no team won a Cup who were outside the top 8 at the time.  Yes, the Sabres are the exception again.

Edited by Marvin

42 minutes ago, Marvin said:

OK.  Thanks.

One of the earliest and simplest analytical tools for studying defencive and two-way play was adjusted plus-minus, i.e., a player's plus-minus relative to his team's average.  In 1987, the top 2 retired players for career adjusted plus-minus were Bobby Orr and Bobby Clarke.  What former Sabre was 3rd?

Just for clarification:  This is someone who already was retired as of 1987?  If so, I'm going to take a stab at it with Don Luce.

Edited by Eleven

24 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Just for clarification:  This is someone who already was retired as of 1987?  If so, I'm going to take a stab at it with Don Luce.

Retired no later than 1987.

Luce was 22nd.

Just now, Marvin said:

Correct.

The Sabres in the top 30 were Hajt, Ramsay, Schoenfeld, Luce, and Gare.

I am astonished that Luce placed that low.  But hey, I got it.  So I'm gonna ask an easier one, so that someone else can have a turn:  

In 1995, the Sabres traded Alexander Mogilny to Vancouver for two players and a pick.  The pick was 14 overall, that is, first round, in the 1995 draft.  Name the players AND the player that the Sabres selected with the pick.  

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I am astonished that Luce placed that low.  But hey, I got it.  So I'm gonna ask an easier one, so that someone else can have a turn:  

In 1995, the Sabres traded Alexander Mogilny to Vancouver for two players and a pick.  The pick was 14 overall, that is, first round, in the 1995 draft.  Name the players AND the player that the Sabres selected with the pick.  

I know this but I’ll let it play out.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Interestingly, Mogilny learnt defence that year.  I remember a 1-0 Vancouver loss to Detroit where Mogilny was 3rd star after the two goaltenders on merit for his stellar defencive play.  I remember thinking that my ears must have had too much wax in them.

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

WTF continent are you from?

Both my parents were brought up under British rule.  My favourite TV shows are almost all British.  I am a licenced Beatle-ologist.  My friends offered me choices of which surviving Doctors and Companions I wanted at my table at their wedding receptions.  (They are many of the reasons that NuWho routinely has references to Buffalo, NY.)  It is just that ingrained.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

This trade was my first big “what? We lose our best players?” experience as a kid. Mogilny was my favourite player. Don’t think I know this without looking it up, though 

was the draft pick Jason Dawe? Philip Boucher? 

For the players, Peca and....

Wilson?

Edit: Damn, wrong. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

This trade was my first big “what? We lose our best players?” experience as a kid. Mogilny was my favourite player. Don’t think I know this without looking it up, though 

was the draft pick Jason Dawe? Philip Boucher? 

For the players, Peca and....

Wilson?

Edit: Damn, wrong. 

The players are correct.  The pick is not.

Rene Robert was that moment for me.  I was furious.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

Holy smokes! I think I know this one!

Was the draft pick a guy that had dirty, stinky shin pads, that might have caused a horrific infection, that may or may not have impacted the Sabres chances at a cup in 2006?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ubkev said:

Holy smokes! I think I know this one!

Was the draft pick a guy that had dirty, stinky shin pads, that might have caused a horrific infection, that may or may not have impacted the Sabres chances at a cup in 2006?

You got it--McKee--you're up!

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

Alright, I don't have any difficult ones off hand. So everyone gets a break with this one. 

Name the last 4 Sabres to score at least 80 points in a single season. 

I think the last three to do it are pretty easy. Tage and Skinner from last year. Eichel did it. But the last one…I’m probably going to kick myself if this isn’t right…but I’m going with Vanek.  

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

Alright, I don't have any difficult ones off hand. So everyone gets a break with this one. 

Name the last 4 Sabres to score at least 80 points in a single season. 

Tage Skinner Eichel and Pominville? 

22 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I think the last three to do it are pretty easy. Tage and Skinner from last year. Eichel did it. But the last one…I’m probably going to kick myself if this isn’t right…but I’m going with Vanek.  

Nope. 

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Tage Skinner Eichel and Pominville? 

Sorry

You're 75% there.

On 6/6/2023 at 1:36 PM, tom webster said:

Being Tom Webster was essentially traded for him, you know I knew that one.

Tom Webster is an interesting player,  a one time Bruins prospect and the first player taken in the 1970 expansion draft, and was traded for Roger Crozier so he never played for the Sabres.

He had one really good (30 goals and 67 points) season with the Red Wings, followed by an injury plagued season that saw him get shipped to the dreaded California Golden Seals. 

After that he was a star in the WHA, a league filled with many older NHL and AHL vets.  

Since you are a Webster fan, I am wondering what current NHL player you think he is similar to?  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.