A little NHL trivia...

Eleven

13 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Correct on Hannu Virta and on Gates Orlando.

There is one left.  The clue is that he's another one that would be thought of more as an Amerk than a Sabre.

Jody Gage did not play enough games, did he?

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Did Ken Preistlay play enough games with Buffalo to qualify?

He may have had a cup of coffee with another NHL team too?

I think he was an Islander.  EDIT:  He was a Penguin.

Edited by Eleven
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, John Tucker said:

Mark (Rick) Astley... Never did get the chance I thought he deserved.

Only 75 NHL games.  Didn't meet the (arbitrary) threshold.

And Rick Astley was a late 80's or 90's thing.  Nobody was getting Rick Rolled in the 70's.  😉

• Like (+1) 1

Turns out there were only 7 that met the criteria.  The reference had neglected to mention that the one that had been believed to have been the 8th had actually played a handful of games for the Wings prior to coming to the Sabres organization.  Sorry about that.

The 8th player we were looking for was Mal Davis; but he does not qualify having played 11 games for Detroit at the end of the 70's / very early 80's.  

So the 7 were:

Gilbert Perreault - 17 seasons - 1,191 RS games with 90 more playoff games;

Craig Ramsay - 14 seasons - 1,070 RS games w/ 89 Playoff games;

Bill Hajt - 14 seasons - 854 RS games w/ 80 playoff games;

Hannu Virta - 5 seasons - 245 RS games w/ 17 playoff games;

Gates Orlando - 3 seasons - 98 RS games w/ 5 playoff games;

Pat Kaleta - 9 seasons - 348 RS games w/ 12 playoff games;

Casey Nelson - 4 seasons - 93 RS games w/ 0 playoff games.

If somebody that got 1 or more of the answers wants to come up with the next contest; have at it.

Have a good one relating to the HHoF that will be a lot easier if they don't have one.

And if somebody wanted to say that there really were only 4 that fully met the criteria, it would be hard to quibble.  But am sticking with there being 7 for now.

18 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Why the red x ?

Was he not a bad 70s singer and talk show host?

Thought he was a 60's singer and was host of a talk show, not really a variety show.

Though the 'X' was for Mike Douglas never having played for the Sabres much less being the answer to the trivia question. 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Thought he was a 60's singer and was host of a talk show, not really a variety show.

Though the 'X' was for Mike Douglas never having played for the Sabres much less being the answer to the trivia question. 😉

I missed the earlier talk and I thought your hint pointed towards Gates don’t cal me Tony Orlando. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, shrader said:

I missed the earlier talk and I thought your hint pointed towards Gates don’t cal me Tony Orlando. 

Nope, it was pointed towards "really, Mac Davis was the QB in North Dallas 40? Wtf was the casting director smoking that week? And more importantly, who decided to give him his own network show?"

20 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Nope, it was pointed towards "really, Mac Davis was the QB in North Dallas 40? Wtf was the casting director smoking that week? And more importantly, who decided to give him his own network show?"

Mal Davis?  Really?

9 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Mal Davis?  Really?

Actually, as I'd said upthread, he is the player that the reference source used had indicated was the 8th player that had played at least 80 NHL games and all with the Sabres.  But that was incorrect, as Davis had played 11 games for the Wings over 2 seasons over 3 years prior to coming to Buffalo.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, tom webster said:

If no one else has a question, how about this.

Only three players played all 80 games during the 74/75 run to the Cup and only two of them played all 17 playoff games. I think two are pretty easy and the third is not crazy, but it’s a slow Sunday night.

Very good question.  Had 2 of the 3 (one is painfully obvious) but missed on the 3rd guy.  The guess for the 3rd only played 78 games that year (plus all the playoffs).

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.