A little NHL trivia...

Eleven

Inspired by Woody:  Has any player who EVER played for the Buffalo Sabres won a Conn Smythe Trophy? (In other words, they could have won the trophy with another team.) If so, how many and who are they?

This is medium level IMO.  So think it through.  Try not to use the Internet.  

And it's about time we had a new trivia thread around here, so please come up w/ some questions!

Edited by Eleven
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Inspired by Woody:  Has any player who EVER played for the Buffalo Sabres won a Conn Smythe Trophy? (In other words, they could have won the trophy with another team.) If so, how many and who are they?

This is medium level IMO.  So think it through.  Try not to use the Internet.  

And it's about time we had a new trivia thread around here, so please come up w/ some questions!

Didn’t O’Reilly just do that?

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

Actually he’s not. At least one more but he won it before the Sabres became a team so does that count?

Stuff like that counts. The question does not consider whether the player won before/while/after being a Sabre and does not consider length of service with Buffalo.

Edited by Eleven

35 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Being Tom Webster was essentially traded for him, you know I knew that one.

TW, you are the winner, and thank you for concealing the answer. Marvin, and FC, you both had it as well.

My suggestion is that TW poses the next question, and that on the honor system (regarding outside sources), the next correct guesser poses the next question, etc.

Edited by Eleven

As per Eleven, I will pose the next question. 

This is kind of a Sabre question. Most people on this board know that Gilbert and Dale Tallon were the top two picks of the 1970 draft.

However, the next two players taken were players that both played a significant role in stopping the Sabres cup aspirations. While they were both drafted by Boston, they ended up on the Flyers. Who were they?

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

As per Eleven, I will pose the next question. 

This is kind of a Sabre question. Most people on this board know that Gilbert and Dale Tallon were the top two picks of the 1970 draft.

However, the next two players taken were players that both played a significant role in stopping the Sabres cup aspirations. While they were both drafted by Boston, they ended up on the Flyers. Who were they?

This is gonna be tough...

Both were mentioned on, I think, NBC during game 1 of the 1974 final -- the Flyers were playing Boston.  I definitely remember Reggie Leach being one of them.  I can't recall the other.

19 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Both were mentioned on, I think, NBC during game 1 of the 1974 final -- the Flyers were playing Boston.  I definitely remember Reggie Leach being one of them.  I can't recall the other.

I forgot about Leach, I associated him with the Seals but he was a Bruins pick.

I said Watson earlier but I think he’s older, changing my guess to MacLeish

24 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Boston had two picks in a row that early?

Jim Watson would be one guess, I think he was a Bruin.

Boston actually had 3 and 4 and Montreal had 5 and 6. If I remember correctly, and I don’t want to look, both of Montreal’s players never made it.

22 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Leach was one, Watson was not the other.

Edited by tom webster

24 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Ooooh good call on Leach.

Just now, tom webster said:

And that is correct. I guess not as difficult as Eleven, and frankly myself, thought.

Your hint about the players being keys for the Flyers cut the options down.  They were not going to be Orest Kindrachuck, Ross Lonsberry, or anyone similar.

43 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Your hint about the players being keys for the Flyers cut the options down.  They were not going to be Orest Kindrachuck, Ross Lonsberry, or anyone similar.

Good point.

th

By the way, now that its over, I looked it up. Boston acquired the picks from LA and ironically, Philly. Montreal got their picks from California and Minnesota.

The two Montreal picks, goaltender Ray Martynuik and left winger Chuck Lefley. The only other first round picks of note, Toronto selected Daryl Sittler and Chicago picked Dan Maloney who us old timers will remember as the vaunted tough guy who had his nose broken by our very own number Eleven.

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Good point.

th

By the way, now that its over, I looked it up. Boston acquired the picks from LA and ironically, Philly. Montreal got their picks from California and Minnesota.

The two Montreal picks, goaltender Ray Martynuik and left winger Chuck Lefley. The only other first round picks of note, Toronto selected Daryl Sittler and Chicago picked Dan Maloney who us old timers will remember as the vaunted tough guy who had his nose broken by our very own number Eleven.

The broken nose is why nobody dared to challenge him again.

27 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

@Marvinor @French Collection -- you're up.

Great thread, @Eleven.

I defer to @French Collection.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.