A little NHL trivia...

Eleven

43 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

In addition to Crozier, Dryden, and Al Hamilton, There are 4 more Bison-Sabres.  

Hints  

One is a popular figure in Sabres history.

One is an obscure player.  

Two were good NHL players that played for the Bisons briefly when they were young, and then played for the Sabres briefly when they were old. 

Ok, I’ll help.

Larry Hillman

Don Marshall

16 hours ago, tom webster said:

Ok, I’ll help.

Larry Hillman

Don Marshall

Correct.  They match the third hint. Two good NHLers from the 6 team era that spent a brief time with the Bisons, and played for the Sabres in their later years.  Marshall scored 20 for the first year Sabres. 

15 hours ago, Taro T said:

And the one that wasn't looked up but actually guessed: Larry Mickey.

(Don't recall Schmautz on the Sabres at all.)

Yes to both. 

15 hours ago, Eleven said:

Randy Wyrozub?

No, he was drafted in 70 

Edited by Pimlach

3 hours ago, tom webster said:

So

Crozier

Hamilton

Dryden

Mickey

Schmautz

Marshall

Hillman

Brian McDonald is the obscure one from my hints. 

The last one that I have, that I hinted as a “popular Sabre”, is Mike Robitaille.  Robey was added to the Bisons final roster for the playoffs in 1969-70, then he joined the Sabres a few years later  

I missed a few, like Schmautz and Mickey, on my original count ( should not have missed Larry). 

Thats 9 total. Al Hamilton is the only one to play in consecutive season for Bisons and then the Sabres. 

Edited by Pimlach

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Brian McDonald is the obscure one from my hints. 

The last one that I have, that I hinted as a “popular Sabre”, is Mike Robitaille.  Robey was added to the Bisons final roster for the playoffs in 1969-70, then he joined the Sabres a few years later  

I missed a few, like Schmautz and Mickey, on my original count ( should not have missed Larry). 

Thats 9 total. Al Hamilton is the only one to play in consecutive season for Bisons and then the Sabres. 

Good question though. I had no memory of Robitaille playing for the Bisons and quite frankly, have no idea who Brian McDonald.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

Good question though. I had no memory of Robitaille playing for the Bisons and quite frankly, have no idea who Brian McDonald.

I used to see Robey on the 69-70 Bison's roster but he actually played for the Ranger's Central Hockey League team.  They sent him to Buffalo for the AHL playoffs and he got a few games in.  He then played for the Sabres starting in their 2nd season and he became a fan favorite for his propensity to throw open ice hip checks.  

We later traded him in a package to the Canucks for Josh Guervremont.  

9 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I used to see Robey on the 69-70 Bison's roster but he actually played for the Ranger's Central Hockey League team.  They sent him to Buffalo for the AHL playoffs and he got a few games in.  He then played for the Sabres starting in their 2nd season and he became a fan favorite for his propensity to throw open ice hip checks.  

We later traded him in a package to the Canucks for Josh Guervremont.  

Yeah, I’m familiar with Roby’s story including how he took out Gilbert’s knee, albeit accidentally. Just didn’t know he played for the Bisons.

• Like (+1) 1

In 1982 the Sabres had 3 first round draft picks. They selected 2 hall of famers, each of which were later traded for a hall of famer. That third player, while not in the hall of fame, was traded for a pick used to select a should be hall of famer. Name all 5of those hall of fame players (screw the voters, I’m counting him).

Shouldnt be all that tough given that we haven’t had all that many in the hall. 

4 hours ago, shrader said:

In 1982 the Sabres had 3 first round draft picks. They selected 2 hall of famers, each of which were later traded for a hall of famer. That third player, while not in the hall of fame, was traded for a pick used to select a should be hall of famer. Name all 5of those hall of fame players (screw the voters, I’m counting him).

We drafted Housley, Cyr, and Andreychuck.  Housley and Andreychuck made the HoF.

Not sure what happened with the trades.  

10 hours ago, shrader said:

I know the one who came to be nothing is Paul Cyr.

• 2 weeks later...

OK folks, as of today, 13 players who wore the Blue and Gold have been elected to the HHoF.  Not builders, broadcasters, coaches, etc.--just players.  Some of these are tough, some are easy, but let's have your best efforts without resort to the outside world.

15 minutes ago, Eleven said:

OK folks, as of today, 13 players who wore the Blue and Gold have been elected to the HHoF.  Not builders, broadcasters, coaches, etc.--just players.  Some of these are tough, some are easy, but let's have your best efforts without resort to the outside world.

I find we are at a 4H club: Hasek, Hawerchuk, Horton, Housley.

Perreault, Andreychuk.  These are all of the obvious ones.

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Have 10 of them.  Drawing a blank on the other 3 embarassingly.  Can't figureout how to hide text / set up spoilers, so apologies for posting them here.

Horton

Perreault

Gillies (the one most people will forget)

Fuhr

LaFontaine

Hawerchuck

Turgeon (why, Santy Claus, why?)

Housley (see above)

Hasek

Andreychuk

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.