Rasmus close to extension at $10M per

tom webster

12 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Evidently, the After the Whistle podcast (Petey and Rivet) is reporting that the deal is done at $10.5MM x 8 years.

10.5 is a bit more than I'd have liked to of seen, say by 500k to 1 mil, but I get it, it's reasonable. When it's officially announced here's to 8 years of huge success for Dahlin and the team.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

10.5 is a bit more than I'd have liked to of seen, say by 500k to 1 mil, but I get it, it's reasonable. When it's officially announced here's to 8 years of huge success for Dahlin and the team.

He MIGHT be the most important guy to this team, but the issue with 10.5m, if its true, is the fact that it is SO much more than Cozens and Tage.  You can justify that number by saying he is a #1 overall guy, he gets the most ice time, you can say he might be/is more important to the team than the other 2, its signed a year later, its not much more than they gave Eichel and this is years later...etc. BUT it would still be almost 50% higher than Tage and that seems like a big jump from him.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

BTW, it's of course a matter of personal taste, but I think the black-and-white photo of the younger RJ with the rock star hair was a better avatar. 

Well the current one is a return to the old one. I changed it every day for awhile in honor of Rick.

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

He MIGHT be the most important guy to this team, but the issue with 10.5m, if its true, is the fact that it is SO much more than Cozens and Tage.  You can justify that number by saying he is a #1 overall guy, he gets the most ice time, you can say he might be/is more important to the team than the other 2, its signed a year later, its not much more than they gave Eichel and this is years later...etc. BUT it would still be almost 50% higher than Tage and that seems like a big jump from him.

One plays 30 minutes a night. The others play 18 max. 

3 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

One plays 30 minutes a night. The others play 18 max. 

Don't exaggerate to make your point. Dahlin averaged just over 25 minutes per game, in the NHL, that is WORLD away from 30 minutes.

2nd, it just doesn't really matter. top D-men almost ALWAYS play more minutes than the top forwards, that is the nature of the position. The best D-men in the league play.  Karlsson, Dahlin, Makar, Doughty, Josi, Fox...all averaged about 25 minutes per game.  McDavid, McKinnon, Draisatl, Pastrnak, Robertson, Hughes, Matthews...averaged between 18-22 minutes per game. Top forwards, on average DO average 20% less ice time, but the top forwards around the league do NOT get paid that much less (or less at all) than the top D-men.

On 9/6/2023 at 7:29 AM, mjd1001 said:

I dont think there is any issue with Tage or Cozens. They didn't have an issue with making less than Skinner. 

The other thing I will say about Thompson is that for several years he was on the edge of not being an NHL player. He had a great season and then the GM was like, "wanna sign a 7 year deal" and that deal basically sets up his family for life even if he is only getting about 25-30mil when all is said and done (taxes and escrow). He and his wife were starting a family and it was a big jump up from "almost out of the league and making just over a million" to "7yrs and 50mil". Tage decided to take the money and I don't think he regrets it at all, in fact I think he feels he has to earn that deal. 

10 minutes ago, Radar said:

Defensemen of Dahlin qualities are much harder to find than forwards of Thompson's quality and that's not meant to demean anyone.

But is it? I mean enough for a 40% increase in salary?

A forward with Thompsons quality....Thompson's value to this team is in terms of goal scoring. I went to NHL.com and looked at scoring per 60.  Last year Thompson was 10th in the league. Over the past 2 seasons he is 5th in the league. Goals per game played? He's 11th. And that is with him playing injured for a good part of the last quarter of the season.  If he is healthy and progresses even a tiny little bit, he can/should be in the top 10, if not top 5 in scoring in the league next year.

D-men. Scoring isn't as important to a D-men as a forward, so I wasn't sure what metric to use so I just looked at Norris voting.  Dahlin finished 8th last year. The previous year he was out of the top 15.

Now personally, I think Dahlin is more important overall to the team than Thompson, but I think it is close.  But as a forward/center/goal scorer Thompson right now probably ranks in the top 10 in the league (or very close to it) and an argument can be made Dahlin is in the same area when you rank D-men.  AND the Top forwards in the league make more than the top D-men do.

Why is this a debate?  Not casting stones.

The 3 most important positions on any NHL team are (in no particular order) ..

1) a stud #1 D - check (and double checked with Power)

2) a stud #1 C - check (and soon to be double checked with Cozens)

3) a stud #1 G - hoping for Levi to check this box

Toss in an emerging shut down D in Mule and a number of other key pieces and the Sabres are on the cusp (hey @PASabreFan) of something.

The prices of contracts are what they are.  One could make the arguement that Dahlin has given the Sabres a home team discount.  He probably would have gotten $12M on the open market.  We are spoiled with the 3 recent big contracts.  

If I were KA I would sign Power to 8 years at $8.5M as soon as possible, if not sooner.

• Like (+1) 3

Ottawa just re-signed Jake Sanderson (age 21) for 8 years for $64.4.  10 team NTC in the final 3 years.  He had 32 points last season as a rookie.  Wow!  They also locked up Stutzle last off-season for 8 years $66.8 and he popped last season for 90 points.

https://theathletic.com/4840521/2023/09/06/senators-jake-sanderson-contract-extension/

If this guy is worth 8+ a season after a 32 pt (4 goals) rookie year, what are Dahlin and Power worth?  If you are KA, do you give Power a similar deal soon and hope for the best?    Power, age 20, had a 4g 35 pt rookie season.  

The below quote is from the article:

Given where many project Sanderson’s game, this feels like a contract that will be a bargain for Ottawa in the years ahead. It will be interesting to watch the ripple effects of Sanderson’s team-friendly deal on fellow defensemen such as Owen Power and Moritz Seider within the Atlantic Division. Both of those young stars also need new contracts after this season. — Mendes

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Ottawa just re-signed Jake Sanderson (age 21) for 8 years for $64.4.  10 team NTC in the final 3 years.  He had 32 points last season as a rookie.  Wow!  They also locked up Stutzle last off-season for 8 years $66.8 and he popped last season for 90 points.

If this guy is worth 8+ a season after a 32 pt (4 goals) rookie year, what are Dahlin and Power worth?  If you are KA, do you give Power a similar deal soon and hope for the best?    Power, age 20, had a 4g 35 pt rookie season.  

Yes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I dont think there is any issue with Tage or Cozens. They didn't have an issue with making less than Skinner. 

That’s a good point.

I think this is where the leadership style of Okposo can help. He is a thoughtful, calming presence who speaks about the greater good of the team. He won’t talk Dahlin down to 8x$8.5 but he can help guys see the bigger picture and not squeeze every last penny out of KA.

He is a solid NHLPA guy but he also has a lot of common sense.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.