Rasmus close to extension at $10M per

tom webster

One real positive thing about KAs tenure so far was his aggressive approach to locking up his core.

The signing of Dahlin is just another example of KA smartly locking up his core to reasonable deals 

I have long believe that there is a lot of similarity between baseball and hockey in drafting, developing and cost management of young players.  KAs approach to the Sabres is very similar to Braves GM Andopolis’ management of the young Braves.  Young studs Acuna, Albies, Riley, and Harris we’re all locked up long before they could hit free agency while other excellent players like Freeman and Swanson were allowed to leave because cheaper quality option were available in the pipeline or through trade.  

I fully expect Skinner to move on after his contract expires and despite how much I like Mitts, I think KA may let him leave as well after this season.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

One real positive thing about KAs tenure so far was his aggressive approach to locking up his core.

The signing of Dahlin is just another example of KA smartly locking up his core to reasonable deals 

I have long believe that there is a lot of similarity between baseball and hockey in drafting, developing and cost management of young players.  KAs approach to the Sabres is very similar to Braves GM Andopolis’ management of the young Braves.  Young studs Acuna, Albies, Riley, and Harris we’re all locked up long before they could hit free agency while other excellent players like Freeman and Swanson were allowed to leave because cheaper quality option were available in the pipeline or through trade.  

I fully expect Skinner to move on after his contract expires and despite how much I like Mitts, I think KA may let him leave as well after this season.  

I'm not going to predict what his next contract will be but I'm much more confident than you are that a deal will be worked out. Coach Don G is a big advocate for Mitts. And what the player demonstrated last season was that he was versatile enough to play both the wing and center. In addition, he also showed that he could move up to the top line and keep it performing at a high level. Mitts is going to be a mainstay player and be here longer than you think. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm not going to predict what his next contract will be but I'm much more confident than you are that a deal will be worked out. Coach Don G is a big advocate for Mitts. And what the player demonstrated last season was that he was versatile enough to play both the wing and center. In addition, he also showed that he could move up to the top line and keep it performing at a high level. Mitts is going to be a mainstay player and be here longer than you think. 

Mittlestadt is the kind of luxury good teams have: a 3rd liner who can play 1C or 2C if need be for an extended period.  I think he stays a while, but will be gone once the next wave comes up.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Does this potentially mean atleast 9 more years of Rasums Delicious??!

Sabres window opening now and may be open for awhile

Yes it does. I think if it is $10x8 then that is a great deal. As you say, 9 more years of Dahlin.

It is a fair deal for both sides and by year 5 it will look like a steal of a deal.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Mittlestadt is the kind of luxury good teams have: a 3rd liner who can play 1C or 2C if need be for an extended period.  I think he stays a while, but will be gone once the next wave comes up.

He is way more valuable than say VO because of his versatility. He also has upside.
He is on the team until pushed out by a younger guy who needs to be in the top 9. 
The only other thing I see is a trade that KA can’t turn down.

If he locks Mitts in at a decent salary that makes moving him easier when the time comes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Ah, you thinking of Jesse's Girl.  Jenny was sung by Tommy Tutone.

Saw Rick Springfield a few years ago (think it was in Artpark in Lewiston) where Tommy Tutone opened.  At one point Springfield was doing a mix of songs and threw in a line from '8679309' and then said in the song "everyone thinks that one is mine but it isn't, it's Tommy"

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Possibly.  Of course, Mittelstadt might just be one of the guys that Adams said he'd be able to keep in the fold if Dahlin did leave money on the table.  (And if he takes $80 over 8 years, he definitely is leaving money on the table.)

Mitts and Dahls were roommates for a while and they seem to still be good friends.  Pretty sure it's those middle 6 guys that this deal ends up making affordable.  Though you and many here expect Mitts gone sooner than later, personally expect he's here for 4-5 more years and then we'll see what happens.  He likely becomes an odd man out at that point in time, but that's so far off and so many things can change between now and then.

Management likes him and they've talked up his leadership in the past.  (Doubt he ends up wearing a letter, but he is one of the guys that they like.  That makes a difference.)

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

So "Chad" is basically  Guessing because everyone knows he's signing on July..

What's next ? He's going to say power is signing next .

" Sources"

Why do you put Chad in “ “ ?  You don’t believe that his name is really Chad?

I don’t get the negative attitude about this.  He says he’s heard that Dahlin is very close to signing a long term deal very close to $10.  What’s your problem with that?

Dahlin doesn’t need to sign in July.  He could wait until next year.

• Haha (+1) 2

For context Calgary will be paying Huberdeau $10.5 million per year for his age 30-38 years.

31 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Don't worry, it's @Buffalonill.  He doesn't know how to not be negative.  He'll be at the Stanley Cup parade complaining how it's too sunny on the side of the street he's on.

😉

He should have brought his Packers’ cheesehead hat to block out the sun.😛

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Flashsabre said:

For context Calgary will be paying Huberdeau $10.5 million per year for his age 30-38 years.

Which is why that was always such a smart move for Florida. Time travelled their core backwards in a sense by committing to a younger player in Tkachuk instead 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Why do you put Chad in “ “ ?  You don’t believe that his name is really Chad?

I don’t get the negative attitude about this.  He says he’s heard that Dahlin is very close to signing a long term deal very close to $10.  What’s your problem with that?

Dahlin doesn’t need to sign in July.  He could wait until next year.

Beacuse he didn't hear anything anyone on this board could say he's signing after July or on the 1st its the most  Obvious thing that will happen.

Edited by Buffalonill

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Possibly.  Of course, Mittelstadt might just be one of the guys that Adams said he'd be able to keep in the fold if Dahlin did leave money on the table.  (And if he takes $80 over 8 years, he definitely is leaving money on the table.)

Mitts and Dahls were roommates for a while and they seem to still be good friends.  Pretty sure it's those middle 6 guys that this deal ends up making affordable.  Though you and many here expect Mitts gone sooner than later, personally expect he's here for 4-5 more years and then we'll see what happens.  He likely becomes an odd man out at that point in time, but that's so far off and so many things can change between now and then.

Management likes him and they've talked up his leadership in the past.  (Doubt he ends up wearing a letter, but he is one of the guys that they like.  That makes a difference.)

As much as I like Mitts you can't keep everyone.  They have committed long-term $ to TNT and Cozens.  We have Östlund, Rosen, Krebs, Kulich, and Savoie all possible 3rd line centers over the next few years. It's possible Krebs could even prove ready for that role as early as this season.  What do you do if your KA and JJP and Quinn take a strong step forward and Mitts jumps to 70 points.  Obviously a great problem to have, but how many can you reasonably afford to re-sign?  Maybe KA nad Mitts can come to a 2-3 bridge extension to keep the band together for a few more years, but at some points someone (or 2 or 3) have to move on.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.