Is Jeff Skinner on a Hall of Fame trajectory?

GASabresIUFAN

At first glance, Skins is in the Hall of Very Good.  The 2 years under Rasputin put a serious cramp in Skinner's counting stats.  Still, Skins has potted 333 goals in his 13-year NHL career and is only 30.  Is it really beyond the realm of possibility that he reaches 500 goals by the time his career ends assuming he stays healthy and productive?

In fact, every player to reach 480 goals or more (53 players so far) or more are in the Hall of Fame except current players Crosby, Ovie, and Stamkos (all future Hall members) and retired players Brian Bellows (485), Peter Bondra (503), Jeremy Roenick (513), Pierre Turgeon (515), Keith Tkachuk (538), and Pat Verbeek (522).  Still not sure why Tkachuk, Turgeon, and Roenick aren't in the Hall.  

Skinner won the Calder, is a 2-time all-star, and is consistently among the league leaders in even-strength goals.  

So is this the beginning of a Hall resume if he reaches 500 goals, or does he fall short without getting his name on the Cup?

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm a big Skinner fan and it's a shame that he lost a couple of good years on his career due to Ralph Krueger.  He's had a very good career and we'll see where it goes from here, but I don't see him as a HOF player at the stage of the game.  It's maybe even a bit of a stretch to see him on the ballot.  That said, there are still some chapters to be written in this story.  If the Sabres have great success in the next 5-10 years, including winning the Stanley Cup, and Skinner a) continues to put up good numbers and is a big part of their success; and b) scores some clutch playoff goals in helping the Sabres win that elusive Cup, then maybe he gets some consideration.

38 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

He needs to do something of note in the playoffs to get any consideration, even if he breaks 500 goals. You don't get leaguewide fame without a few good playoff runs.

Something of note in the playoffs? How about he tries actually making it to the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I'm a big Skinner fan and it's a shame that he lost a couple of good years on his career due to Ralph Krueger. 

In the 5 seaons with the Sabres, if you take out the 2 bad RK seasons, Skinner has averaged 36 goals per season. If he did that in is 2 bad RK seaons...he'd have 51 more career goals.  That would put him at 384.   Even IF you could do that (and of course you can't, those years are lost) he still is not a lock for 500, depending on his aging production and injuries.

I agree has has a shot at the HOF, but only if he gets a few deep playoff runs in the next few years, is productive in those playoffs, AND gets to or approaches 500 career goals.  Possible? Yes, but not easy.

• Like (+1) 1

Funny this topic came up.  

I looked up Skinners stats a few days ago. I don’t think will get to 500 so the  HoF never crossed my crusty mind.  

Now,  If the Sabres win a Cup or two, and he is a big part of it, and he gets close to 450 then what a career!  

He does have potential to be in the rafters in Buffalo as a minimum.  

Edited by Pimlach

Doing the math reaching 500 goals is another 5+ seasons at 30 goals per year.  That would elevate over HoVG.  Most of those would likely be playoff years given the trajectory of the team.  Assuming he puts up another 20-30 playoff goals in that span and the Sabres advance some rounds in that time, I'm sure he would be on that trajectory.  But that's a heavy pace for a good number of years.  I wonder how many players have scored nearly 200 goals in their 30s?

Scratch that... no need to post open ended questions these days to wonder about.  ChatGPT says that Gordie Howe scored 358 goals turning 30. Other notable players with over 200 goals scored after turning 30 include Jaromir Jagr, Mark Messier, Marcel Dionne, and Phil Esposito.... so I guess IF he did that he'd be in pretty good company.

Edited by Cage
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Pimlach said:

He dies have potential to be in the rafters in Buffalo as a minimum.  

that's DOES.

IMO this is a silly thread. Skins will make it into the Hall of the Darn Good, not even the Hall of the Very Good.

Edited by Quint

36 minutes ago, Quint said:

that's DOES.

IMO this is a silly thread. Skins will make it into the Hall of the Darn Good, not even the Hall of the Very Good.

That was my first reaction when I looked at Skinner's numbers.  Then I realized that if he averages 30 goals for the next 6 years, which he is fully capable of doing and then wins a Cup with the Sabres or whomever, he'd have a resume very similar to other HOFers.  

PS: It's the off-season we need something to discuss.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I think playoff success, especially Cup(s) is highly valued by the HOF committee. International success adds to a resume. Individual awards catch their attention too.

Tkachuk’s deepest run was winning two rounds. 89 playoff games in 20 years. His kids are keeping his name in the news so he may make it.

Roenick’s big mouth is probably holding him back. He never won anything but played 150+ playoff games.

Turgeon’s playoff experience is pretty weak, just over 100 games in 20 years. 

Verbeek did win a Cup but he wasn’t a big part of it. His playoff stats are meh.

Skinner is not a HOFer. The only way to get considered would be for him to keep his current level of play going for 5 more years, win a Cup or two and collect a Conn Smythe in one of them. If he is a good playoff player when he finally gets there we won’t care if he makes the HOF or not.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Marvin said:

He would need a Conn Smythe trophy for a Sabres Cup win to even be considered.  And even then, probably not.

Then again, Bill Barber is in.

He was born in Toronto.  Hall of Fame voters really do love their Canadian players, especially ones who were born right in the GTA....That has to give him at least another point or two IF he gets close.

5 hours ago, French Collection said:

I think playoff success, especially Cup(s) is highly valued by the HOF committee. International success adds to a resume. Individual awards catch their attention too.

Tkachuk’s deepest run was winning two rounds. 89 playoff games in 20 years. His kids are keeping his name in the news so he may make it.

Roenick’s big mouth is probably holding him back. He never won anything but played 150+ playoff games.

Turgeon’s playoff experience is pretty weak, just over 100 games in 20 years. 

Verbeek did win a Cup but he wasn’t a big part of it. His playoff stats are meh.

Skinner is not a HOFer. The only way to get considered would be for him to keep his current level of play going for 5 more years, win a Cup or two and collect a Conn Smythe in one of them. If he is a good playoff player when he finally gets there we won’t care if he makes the HOF or not.

I would make one small correction to this - Roenick's big mouth (I would classify as outspoken) coupled with him being an American is what is holding him back. There is zero reason for him not to be in the Hall of Fame. It is pure silliness. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.