Is Jeff Skinner on a Hall of Fame trajectory?

GASabresIUFAN

On 4/30/2023 at 6:21 PM, Taro T said:

Explain Housley then.

No f'n' way he should be in the HoF.

He is the second-highest American scorer ever.  Not forward, not defenseman, just player, ever.  Yeah he belongs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

He is the second-highest American scorer ever.  Not forward, not defenseman, just player, ever.  Yeah he belongs.

He is actually down to 3rd,  Kane passed him this season.  Still an amazing accomplishment for a guy who was primarily a D.  

On 5/2/2023 at 4:12 PM, mjd1001 said:

Yet you keep spending time trying to get the last word in.

Noticable that you won't respond directly to any of the points I explained in my last few points, but yet you feel the need to just say its ridiculous.  Nothing to add to the actual discussion.  Just want to criticize my post and then walk away. Way to step up for what a message board is here for.

"Spending time trying to get the last word in"? I literally had two posts in this thread. You mad bro? lol

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2023 at 10:47 PM, klos1963 said:

Mattingly injured his back and that sapped his power and quickness. It wasn't really inconsistency, it was injuries.

Fyi:  https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/20-mlb-players-whose-hall-of-fame-careers-were-derailed-by-injury-as-jacob-degrom-faces-another-setback/

By the way, Joe Pavelski, who reminds me a great deal of Skinner has compiled 221 goals after 30.  Joe, now has 1250 NHL games, 449 goals, and 1001 points.  Skinner through his 30 year old season has  932 games, 333 g, and 624 points.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/30/2023 at 6:50 PM, Taro T said:

Where does he rank when his F scoring is taken out of that total?

And the only reason (besides not being exclusively a D-man) why his career totals are so high are because he played for 21 years.  Being slightly above average in scoring for a long time should not equate "greatness" which is what is SUPPOSED to be the primary criterion for entry into the HoF.

Though if his assists on Richer's goals were included, he'd probably be top 2 in scoring.  

He was absolutely BRUTAL in his own end.  He flat out never should have gotten in.  Had he not been American, he likely wouldn't have gotten in.

I mean, the HHoF selection criteria doesn’t state that “greatness” is supposed to be the primary criteria for entry.

https://www.hhof.com/induction/electionprocedures.html

image.thumb.jpeg.c32948bbf94e9b43a49944e8da5b80e8.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Taro T said:

PLAYING ABILITY is the very 1st criterion.  If being a "great" player isn't implied by that, then what's the point of the HoF at all?

I get it, but it’s all subjective.

It’s the hall of fame, not the hall of top 1% of players ever to put on skates.

Playing ability is definitely a major factor, of course, but who determines how much playing ability is enough?  Who is to say that sustaining a very good, but not necessarily great, playing over a very long time isn’t enough?  It’s to honor the most noteworthy (famous) players ever and recognize their contributions to the game. 

Again, it’s the Hockey Hall of Fame, not Hockey Hall of Greatness.

35 minutes ago, Taro T said:

PLAYING ABILITY is the very 1st criterion.  If being a "great" player isn't implied by that, then what's the point of the HoF at all?

Also, I’m not necessarily saying your opinion isn’t valid.  It’s just that the Hockey Hall of Fame in particular has never been a collection of purely the best players to ever play the game.  Go look at it.  It’s littered with players who had middling careers but happened to be notable for one reason or another.

Edited by Curt

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

I get it, but it’s all subjective.

It’s the hall of fame, not the hall of top 1% of players ever to put on skates.

Playing ability is definitely a major factor, of course, but who determines how much playing ability is enough?  Who is to say that sustaining a very good, but not necessarily great, playing over a very long time isn’t enough?  It’s to honor the most noteworthy (famous) players ever and recognize their contributions to the game. 

Again, it’s the Hockey Hall of Fame, not Hockey Hall of Greatness.

FOUR male players is the max allowable to be inducted in any given year based upon the current induction criterion.  There are at minimum 736 players in the NHL in a single season now that there are 32 teams.

That sure does seem like they're getting awfully close to 0.5% of the players playing in the NHL getting into the HHOF.  Considering only how many players play in international leagues at the highest levels; yeah, they're getting towards the "hall of top 1% of players ever to put on skates."  😉

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Taro T said:

FOUR male players is the max allowable to be inducted in any given year based upon the current induction criterion.  There are at minimum 736 players in the NHL in a single season now that there are 32 teams.

That sure does seem like they're getting awfully close to 0.5% of the players playing in the NHL getting into the HHOF.  Considering only how many players play in international leagues at the highest levels; yeah, they're getting towards the "hall of top 1% of players ever to put on skates."  😉

What % of NHL forwards have ever reached 500 goals.  There are about 50 in the entire history of the nhl.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What % of NHL forwards have ever reached 500 goals.  There are about 50 on the entire history of the nhl.

A few milestones give guys almost automatic entry. 500 goals is probably one.

I still don’t think Skinner is a HoFer. Ask me again in 5+ years if he hasn’t slowed and had some playoff success.

14 hours ago, Taro T said:

Hmm, I didn’t even realize that there was now a limit of 4 per year.

• 1 month later...

I don't personally think he's HOF material yet but I'm really starting to like this guy, between those skits he does "behind 2 stalls" or "2 stalls and 1 cup" or whatever it is (some of you might get that reference lol) and the consistent aggitation he brings plus he's our top line player. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.