What role does Krebs fit into next season?

LGR4GM

8 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Thompson will be the 1C next year as long as he is healthy enough to do so. It will give Granato some peace of mind however that Mitts can fill in if Tage were to get hurt.

The 2C is Cozens next season, he’ll likely be back with the kids.

The third line is where it gets interesting. In the case that Savoie makes the team; my guess is he’ll tag team the 3C role with Mitts along with Greenway or another seasoned winger. The general idea being to protect the young smaller C with Mitts able to take C when needed and “Greenway” being a deterrent and help defensively. 

The 4th line is the most troublesome due to the fact this scenario already rules out Kulich. Krebs is the 4C because that’s the only place left for him and he’s pretty good in that pesky role. (He also seems to relish it) The two wings however create a shmozzle. I’d guess both Okposo and Girgensons have first dibs if they wish to return. Jost and Rousek likely end up as the potential 13th/14th forwards. Additionally you could see Okposo bequeath his C to another if he’s only intending to play as an extra in order to reach 1000 games. Girgensons may end up in Pittsburgh since his wife is from there.

The year-end Mitts with the concept of Savoie and the concept of Greenway is a very intriguing trio.

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

What's interesting in this is they should be trying to maximize Thompson's production as he certainly appears to be their best offensive player.  (THAT isn't that interesting.)  But what if Cozens is the 2nd best offensive player next year?  Does Granato move 1 of them to wing to put them on a line together or does he keep them both at C and give Tage the top wingers and Cozens the 2nd best wingers?

I think you might see something like how Crosby-Malkin are used during Pittsburgh's prime. They have their own lines, but when times running out and you need a goal they play together. Probably move Mitts to the first line (since that seems to work well enough) and have Thompson and Cozens with Quinn(?) on the other line. It's not a bad problem to have. I do think Tage stays in the center though, for all the reasons talked about over the last year+ (reach, movement, etc.).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I was going to agree with post until the last sentence.

Completely agree that Granato is going to go with the lines that best serve the team, and it that means 2 “1st” lines or 3 balanced lines, I see no reason why he wouldn’t do that over an 1-2-3 rotation.

But I disagree on Tage.

Guy scored at a 40-goal 60-point pace to finish the year injured on the wing. As a healthy centre he was the deadliest threat this team has had since Pat Lafontaine.

Centre has to be your starting point.

Okay, but let's think about this for a second. He's "injured". Do we know what it is? Cracked rib? Chest muscle tear? Pulled back muscles? Disc? Whatever it is, what about it makes playing on the wing possible and center not possible? I don't see how that "injury" would make playing wing easier. Hence I see the 2 balanced lines as a more likely scenario. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Okay, but let's think about this for a second. He's "injured". Do we know what it is? Cracked rib? Chest muscle tear? Pulled back muscles? Disc? Whatever it is, what about it makes playing on the wing possible and center not possible? I don't see how that "injury" would make playing wing easier. Hence I see the 2 balanced lines as a more likely scenario. 

Faceoffs and skating distance would both be effected by Wing versus Center

His role with Cozens was to primarily be a triggerman since he couldn't bend as well and since the role at center is far more intensive 200ft; wing allowed him to focus on pain tolerance and aiding the offense anyway he could.

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Thompson will be the 1C next year as long as he is healthy enough to do so. It will give Granato some peace of mind however that Mitts can fill in if Tage were to get hurt.

The 2C is Cozens next season, he’ll likely be back with the kids.

The third line is where it gets interesting. In the case that Savoie makes the team; my guess is he’ll tag team the 3C role with Mitts along with Greenway or another seasoned winger. The general idea being to protect the young smaller C with Mitts able to take C when needed and “Greenway” being a deterrent and help defensively. 

The 4th line is the most troublesome due to the fact this scenario already rules out Kulich. Krebs is the 4C because that’s the only place left for him and he’s pretty good in that pesky role. (He also seems to relish it) The two wings however create a shmozzle. I’d guess both Okposo and Girgensons have first dibs if they wish to return. Jost and Rousek likely end up as the potential 13th/14th forwards. Additionally you could see Okposo bequeath his C to another if he’s only intending to play as an extra in order to reach 1000 games. Girgensons may end up in Pittsburgh since his wife is from there.

IF Krebs stays on 4C cause he is willing to be that Physical Presence, then maybe you'll see   Girg/Jost       Krebs      Rousek.  I still believe that second line needs someone who will go to the net but most think it stays the same.

Third line, until a trade occurs, is  Greenway   Middlestat   Olofsson.  Not just cutting a 28 goal scorer and he did play at the end of the season and scored. BOOOO!

Might be able to keep Kulich up and bump Olofsson at times he is cold ( It will happen, he seems to score though when put back in )

Adams should package Olofsson and picks and get a replacement older scoring Winger ( Stays till replaced by Rochester Winger permanently ) for Middlestat line that fits ( Kane would be perfect 🤣 ). No doubt fans have had enough.  BOOOOO!

Savoie will spend time in Rochester first, unless for some reason he can't. Kulich is ready for some time in the Sabres lineup to see what he has first. Always be sent down before the clock sets first year.

Okopso is not coming back, no room unless you dump Greenway. My guess is he retires.  I don't think he signs a Rochester Vet Contract and call up on Injury?

Players in Minors will opt out being in Buffalo if a path doesn't open in Rochester. That means a trade of Amerks is needed for future picks, 4th defenseman, Back up Goalie but I think from presser we will have at least Comrie back. Maybe if UPL wants to stay too 3 headed Goalie monster again. BOOOOOO!

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Centers are usually always involved and near Blue line, hence Tages awesome shots. He is not a Winger going to corners or net, I think 3 plus years proved that. He might be better than he was but your talking a TOP 5-8 Center in the league. WHY would you change positions or better yet line mates????? No doubt Tuch Tage Skinner are a Top 1-3 line in the league.

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

This is another thing I’ve observed and I don’t quite understand:

Why do people seem to give JJ and Quinn way more slack for their inexperience than they give Krebs?

You know Peyton is only 8 months older than Jack right? And that he had only 6 fewer points than JJ?

And that he was playing a tougher position, often against tougher opponents and in tougher circumstances with less skilled linemates. I also think the coaching staff has asked him to change his game more than maybe any other player on the team.

This shouldn’t be perceived as me liking Krebs over the other two - on the contrary, I’ve been pretty vocal about how high I am on Quinn, and his ceiling.

I just think there seems to be a double standard as to how these three are rated and perceived.

It’s not a double standard for 3 kids who lack NHL experience. At least not for me. I perceive a difference in skill levels and ceiling.  Quinn has 1st line talent.  I’d say JJ is next in terms of talent and dynamic play, but he’s closer to Krebs than Quinn.

When I agreed with SDSs post, it was to acknowledge that Krebs right now is 3rd out of the 3 kids, and there are quite likely 2 more kids with more talent and dynamic play that are breathing down Krebs neck.

That isn’t criticism of Krebs game.  Its just one fan’s analysis of the pecking order.  If he differentiates himself from the others with 2 way play and a more bottom 6 related game and carves a niche here, I’m all for it.  But those guys are easier to find and makes his spot on the roster more tenuous.

• Like (+1) 1

I keep going back to the same thing. They can’t keep everyone and I keep hearing they believe they need a Compher type center, a more defensive guy but with some solid skill. Something has to give. Either they believe Cozens is better suited on the wing or they aren’t as high on someone as the rest of us, or they plan on going with 15 forwards and 3 defenseman( just kidding).

Somebody good is going to be traded. I’ve thought it would be Mitts but his play the last couple of months plus his maturation off the ice has me believing Krebs is the odd man out.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I keep going back to the same thing. They can’t keep everyone and I keep hearing they believe they need a Compher type center, a more defensive guy but with some solid skill. Something has to give. Either they believe Cozens is better suited on the wing or they aren’t as high on someone as the rest of us, or they plan on going with 15 forwards and 3 defenseman( just kidding).

Somebody good is going to be traded. I’ve thought it would be Mitts but his play the last couple of months plus his maturation off the ice has me believing Krebs is the odd man out.

Compher only became a Compher-like centre this year. This is his first full season with positive possession metrics. His emergence this year likely relates to a combination of becoming more experienced and to moving up in the line-up and having regular higher ability wingers. He is below 50% on the year and career at the dot. 

I think Thompson’s emergence at centre has moved the Sabres to have Krebs develop into our Compher-like centre. I think he centres line 3 going forward and once he gets some more offensively gifted wingers he will produce 45-50 point seasons, kill penalties, play on PP2, be on the ice late to protect leads and take big face offs and be an all around pain to play against. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Archie Lee said:

has moved the Sabres to have Krebs develop into our Compher-like centre. I think he centres line 3 going forward and once he gets some more offensively gifted wingers he will produce 45-50 point seasons, kill penalties, play on PP2, be on the ice late to protect leads and take big face offs and be an all around pain to play against. 

Wowza. From your keyboard to God's ears. That is an absolute best case scenario.

May it come to pass!

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

You may be right. Personally, I think it’s Olofsson if it’s anyone.

Then again, they need 14 forwards. They don’t have to trade anyone to add.

Tage Tuch Skinner Cozens Mitts Quinn Krebs Peterka Greenway is only 9.

”Compher” is 10. 

That leaves 4 spots for any of Olofsson, Girgs, Kyle, Savoie, Rousek, Jost or whoever else they choose to keep, sign or promote.

Edited by dudacek

Is Crazy Eyes for real? Or just what he feels he needs to be on this team and for this fanbase in order to stick around? Or both?

I think he's a clever guy.

Vaclav Varada scored 89 goals in two seasons in the WHL.

Edited by PASabreFan

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

Absolutely. For all of the hand ringing about not bringing in better players and making the playoffs now, I don’t see how anyone projects Krebs as someone on our young development list as a keeper and not someone who gets traded for a specific need.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Is Crazy Eyes for real? Or just what he feels he needs to be on this team and for this fanbase in order to stick around? Or both?

I think he's a clever guy.

Vaclav Varada scored 89 goals in two seasons in the WHL.

Dave? He’s a killer.

28 minutes ago, dudacek said:

You may be right. Personally, I think it’s Olofsson if it’s anyone.

Then again, they need 14 forwards. They don’t have to trade anyone to add.

Tage Tuch Skinner Cozens Mitts Quinn Krebs Peterka Greenway is only 9.

”Compher” is 10. 

That leaves 4 spots for any of Olofsson, Girgs, Kyle, Savoie, Rousek, Jost or whoever else they choose to keep, sign or promote.

I am assuming Girgs, Savoie and Kulich, maybe Rousek. Savoie because there really is no realistic option, Kulich because they showed with Quinn and JJP they believe they can learn as much up here as down there and Rousek because he deserves. Krebs’ other issue is to that he hasn’t been very effective at wing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Archie Lee said:

Compher only became a Compher-like centre this year. This is his first full season with positive possession metrics. His emergence this year likely relates to a combination of becoming more experienced and to moving up in the line-up and having regular higher ability wingers. He is below 50% on the year and career at the dot. 

I think Thompson’s emergence at centre has moved the Sabres to have Krebs develop into our Compher-like centre. I think he centres line 3 going forward and once he gets some more offensively gifted wingers he will produce 45-50 point seasons, kill penalties, play on PP2, be on the ice late to protect leads and take big face offs and be an all around pain to play against. 

Compher had 18 goals last year and after struggling early in his career he is at virtually 50% on draws last two years. I’m not a big face off guy but you want your defensive center to at least be competent and he has developed into that.

Hard to judge KRebs. Girgensons and okposo are too slow, not physical and without any offensive creativity. Krebs is a great passer. No one he played with could take advantage of that. He forechecks hard and smart, but will need some speed/toughness on his wings.

As a 3rd line center he could flourish with the right wingers. 

Replacing Girg and O with a combo of speed and physical players will help krebs immensely. 

Our bottom 6 needs an injection of toughness and speed. We were an easy team to play against.

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

Compher had 18 goals last year and after struggling early in his career he is at virtually 50% on draws last two years. I’m not a big face off guy but you want your defensive center to at least be competent and he has developed into that.

Every coach in this league and any other league will disagree with you on faceoffs. Hockey today is about holding puck and creating offense. Free possession on a faceoff is gold.

3 hours ago, Weave said:

It’s not a double standard for 3 kids who lack NHL experience. At least not for me. I perceive a difference in skill levels and ceiling.  Quinn has 1st line talent.  I’d say JJ is next in terms of talent and dynamic play, but he’s closer to Krebs than Quinn.

When I agreed with SDSs post, it was to acknowledge that Krebs right now is 3rd out of the 3 kids, and there are quite likely 2 more kids with more talent and dynamic play that are breathing down Krebs neck.

That isn’t criticism of Krebs game.  Its just one fan’s analysis of the pecking order.  If he differentiates himself from the others with 2 way play and a more bottom 6 related game and carves a niche here, I’m all for it.  But those guys are easier to find and makes his spot on the roster more tenuous.

I see it as Quinn is the top talent, a natural scorer.  Then it gets interesting.  Krebs vs Peterka is a very close comparison.  

JJP had 12G, 32 points, -15.  He played mostly 2nd line, and he was sheltered from tough minutes against high quality opponents.  He showed some good speed and ability to drive the net and generate offense.  Good rookie season overall  

Krebs had 9G, 26 points, -8.   He played mostly 4 line, was not sheltered nearly as much, and was eventually given tough assignments at the end of games, on the PK, and against top lines.  Because he played 40+ games last year he was not considered a rookie  

The small difference in scoring could be situational and reflects their line mates and their roles.  Krebs is a year older and he learned the defensive side of the NHL game first because he was asked to do so.  I think he has much more to his game offensively.  

They played almost identical minutes.  I would rank Krebs slightly ahead because he played a harder position and harder minutes. I think he is more versatile at C/W.   Still, JJP was a pure rookie   

Either one could be traded due to our surplus at forward.   Which one may depend on the team we trade with more than any other factor.  

They simply have not played enough for me to come to any solid conclusions yet.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think all 3 of Krebs Quinn and Peterka can have NHL futures in the top 9 and agree that Quinn has the highest ceiling.

I see no reason why that can't be in Buffalo.

And I thought this team, of all teams, should know not to make up their minds on a player too early.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I think Krebs needs another season of evaluation.

Just because Mitts played C very well down the stretch doesn’t mean he starts the year there. I can see him being the playmaking W with Cozens and Quinn.

If Mitts play C then Krebs is 4C because he struggles at W. He has more offensive ability than a 4C but if he buckles down on PK, faceoffs and a tight checking game he can carve out a nice spot for himself.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.