What role does Krebs fit into next season?

LGR4GM

Buffalo has so much firepower coming up the pipeline, it's hard to see how everything sorts out once things settle in. It might have go year to year. I do see a lot of mix and match combos to exploit different teams' weaknesses. Next year I see Krebs and Jost together - two diggers with offensive upside - along with a finisher like VO or Savoie. I see Greenway on the 4th line. Appreciative of their contributions but hope to see KO and Girgs elsewhere next year. 

Seeing how this year ended with Thompson, Dahlin and Samuelsson playing hurt (who knows who else) and limping to the finish line, I'd like to see a lot more resting of the top guys this year against the bottom teams. In particular, I'm concerned about Thompson's back.

I’m as big a Mitts supporter as there is on this board, but we are getting to the point where we have to many top 9 capable forwards and not enough slots or cap space to go around.  I believe that JJP, Krebs, and even Mitts are three guys who may have limited shelf life here once we lock up Dahlin and Power to big $ contracts.  

If you boil down this team to the core you have Levi, the 3 D, Tnt, Cozens, Quinn, Tuch and Skinner (until his contract expires).  The next guys on the list are JJP, Krebs and Mitts who are all affordable now, but we have another wave of Kulich, Östlund, Savoie and maybe others behind them.  

Krebs and Mitts have one year each left on their deals.  Both will be RFAs. Let’s say for arguments sake that both take another leap forward next season. Mitts goes from 59 points to the low 70’s and pots 20+. Can we really afford another $7 mill forward long-term? What about Krebs? How much do you pay him if he becomes a 40pt + guy and he becomes a JT Compher type player? He made great strides toward that goal this year. 

As to the topic at hand, how DG utilizes Mitts will help determine where Krebs plays.  If Mitts is the 3C, Krebs either returns as the 4C or tries his hand as a winger.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think all 3 of Krebs Quinn and Peterka can have NHL futures in the top 9 and agree that Quinn has the highest ceiling.

I see no reason why that can't be in Buffalo.

And I thought this team, of all teams, should know not to make up their minds on a player too early.

If Krebs is moved to fill a hole elsewhere, it is probably not because their mind was made up on him too early.  You gotta give to get.

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think all 3 of Krebs Quinn and Peterka can have NHL futures in the top 9 and agree that Quinn has the highest ceiling.

I see no reason why that can't be in Buffalo.

And I thought this team, of all teams, should know not to make up their minds on a player too early.

If Krebs is moved to fill a hole elsewhere, it is probably not because their mind was made up on him too early.  You gotta give to get.

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Okay, but let's think about this for a second. He's "injured". Do we know what it is? Cracked rib? Chest muscle tear? Pulled back muscles? Disc? Whatever it is, what about it makes playing on the wing possible and center not possible? I don't see how that "injury" would make playing wing easier. Hence I see the 2 balanced lines as a more likely scenario. 

Shoulder injury and a hip pointer were mentioned at His End of the Year Presser

3 hours ago, tom webster said:

I keep going back to the same thing. They can’t keep everyone and I keep hearing they believe they need a Compher type center, a more defensive guy but with some solid skill. Something has to give. Either they believe Cozens is better suited on the wing or they aren’t as high on someone as the rest of us, or they plan on going with 15 forwards and 3 defenseman( just kidding).

Somebody good is going to be traded. I’ve thought it would be Mitts but his play the last couple of months plus his maturation off the ice has me believing Krebs is the odd man out.

I would look at Alex Kerfoot and Pierre Engvall as forwards to bring in as well.

Compher’s Relationship with Granato probably makes Him the clubhouse favorite 

• Thanks (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Quint said:

Buffalo has so much firepower coming up the pipeline, it's hard to see how everything sorts out once things settle in.

There's also the possibility that some of those assets that are on their way would be the assets that get moved for the pieces that are needed.

34 minutes ago, Weave said:

Fair comment. The same can be said for anyone on the roster not yet considered "core".

My point is more about people making up their minds that Krebs is the one who "needs to go" too quickly.

Let's use the time we've got to see who grows into what, and where the redundancies are.

On 4/16/2023 at 6:07 AM, LGR4GM said:

This isn't going to be what happens. Tage won't be injured and Quinn and JJP aren't going to get demoted for Greenway. Quinn in particular, we should expect him to add 10g10a next season. 

I'm still amazed how virtually the entire board has amnesia that Tage Thompson was injured from the all star break on. You don't take your 90+ point, 45+ goal #1 center and move him to 2nd line wing because Mittelstadt played well for 2 weeks (yes he played well at others times this season).

Recency bias. 

Then you call the Greenway-Cozens-Thompson line the top line and the Skinner-Mittelstadt-Tuch line the second line. 

• dislike 1

16 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Was Thompson bad playing on Cozen's wing? Did his play suddenly deteriorate? I don't think so. 

Do you think Thompson is such a poor hockey player he can only be effective at center? Is there magic in this positioning? 

I suppose this all hinges on you thinking Granato's move of Thompson to center was some genius coaching and not just a desperation move by a coach who had no centers. Doesn't matter, but there is a big "chance in hell" (is that what the locals call Buffalo these days? I mean there were always a lot of fires on the news as I remember but hell seems a little extreme)

I’m sure we’d be fine if Tage played wing.

But, being pretty old fashioned, if Tage and Cozens are our 2 best offensive (all around) players next season, as was mentioned as possibly being the case, id much prefer each locking down a centre role in the top 6. I’m still of the belief that a prime luxury of having your most adept all around forwards at C is the allowance for them to elevate their line mates. The wingers are already pretty good - I wouldn’t cut into the value Cozens provides in the middle to load up 1 line, I think the most overall value is achieved through spreading the wealth a bit.

18 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I think I’m just a proponent of filling in a deep Centre spine as much as possible. Loading up lines leads to a maximization of pointz, for those involved, I think spreading out your C talent leads to mismatches, and wins 

Agree.  And you players that can minimize pointz allowed too. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I think I’m just a proponent of filling in a deep Centre spine as much as possible. Loading up lines leads to a maximization of pointz, for those involved, I think spreading out your C talent leads to mismatches, and wins 

Having been through the desert of pretty much no C spine for much of the last decade (and early on, not having enough quality players to support their TWO good C's) agree that ideally the C's are the top F's.  But just find it interesting that for the 1st time in a long time, there are actual options to have very possibly 4 quality lines and they can be stacked like the traditional 1, 2, 3 scoring lines with a 4th 2 way line or a 1A, 1B, 1D and a 4th line and a few permutations in between.  (Until Olofsson gets traded, and really expect he will be, this team has 10 guys that are legitimately top 9 F's (several of which are significantly better than that) plus Jost who can adequately fill in there.  And that doesn't include any of the kids playing in Junior or Ra-cha-cha that might be good enough to be top 9 as well.

And, unless they bring in a Tom Wilson, believe that the key to how Granato will be deploying his lines will come down to whether he wants Greenway to be part of a Minny style line he just left &/or an Aisles 4th line or whether he wants him to be running shotgun to Thompson, Cozens, or both to keep opposing teams from taking liberties with his best players.

And, keeping Krebs in this post, could see him at 3C, 4C, or 3W (in that order) in the mix of what Granato puts together.  And, based on how much Krebs improved from October to his mid-season play with the 4th line to where he was at the end of the season, really do believe that Krebs could be fine at W now that he's finally adjusted to the speed and physicality that happens at this level.

14 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Faceoffs and skating distance would both be effected by Wing versus Center

His role with Cozens was to primarily be a triggerman since he couldn't bend as well and since the role at center is far more intensive 200ft; wing allowed him to focus on pain tolerance and aiding the offense anyway he could.

Skinner took draws for him before. He sucks on face offs anyway. 

Well, anything's possible. I guess if I knew what the injury actually was it might make more sense. 

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

I’m sure we’d be fine if Tage played wing.

But, being pretty old fashioned, if Tage and Cozens are our 2 best offensive (all around) players next season, as was mentioned as possibly being the case, id much prefer each locking down a centre role in the top 6. I’m still of the belief that a prime luxury of having your most adept all around forwards at C is the allowance for them to elevate their line mates. The wingers are already pretty good - I wouldn’t cut into the value Cozens provides in the middle to load up 1 line, I think the most overall value is achieved through spreading the wealth a bit.

So if Thompson goes back to 1C is Mitts 3C? Second line wing? Is there a spot for Savoie? Does he go to wing? 

It's possible we will be looking at something we aren't used to. TOO MANY good forwards and not enough spots for them. Maybe not next year, but when Kulich etc. comes up what then? Seems to me somebody has to get traded for a D man as the best option. 

On 4/15/2023 at 8:15 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Depends on who (if anybody) we add in the off season. 

When I knocked Krebs a few weeks back a bunch of people told me all about his great vision, hockey IQ, passing ability and so forth so if all of that is true, he's your #3 center with Quinn and Peterka isn't he? 

Mitts is now Sabres #1 center (although arguably the top 2 lines are equal) and I really think they will try to keep the two top lines you saw at the end of the year as the season starting lines. That's Skinner-Mitts-Tuch and Thompson-Cozens-Greenway. Line 3 is Peterka-Krebs-Quinn and 4 if they re-sign is Girgensens-Jost-Okposo.  If Kulich, Rousek, or somebody else supplants a veteran players will bump up or down that line up as appropriate. 

That's what'll happen if he doesn't sign any FA forwards that is. But it might be the way it is. I suspect (fear?) that management may think, well, if we'd had Levi all year we'd be in the playoffs so we're good, just keep drafting and developing internally. 

I don't see knocking a healthy thompson off line 1 (he's our best scorer), and out of position (he's our best center).  They seemed to do it out of necessity to avoid hits.  I like what Mitts was doing there at the end of the year, and he was playing with more confidence for sure.  Just not playing with olofsson seemed to help him at times earlier in the year though.  

1 hour ago, Drag0nDan said:

I don't see knocking a healthy thompson off line 1 (he's our best scorer), and out of position (he's our best center).  They seemed to do it out of necessity to avoid hits.  I like what Mitts was doing there at the end of the year, and he was playing with more confidence for sure.  Just not playing with olofsson seemed to help him at times earlier in the year though.  

But who's to say Cozens won't be our #1 center next year and so a line with Thompson Cozens would be our #1 line. 

I honestly don't think a non playoff team should consider ANY line or pairing as a guarantee for the next season. Anything is possible. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 4/15/2023 at 3:56 PM, GoPuckYourself said:

Stays as 4th line C, seems like a decent fit.

After he was benched early in the season he played with a lot of grit that I hadn't seen before. He got cold, scoring-wise, at the end but he has good skill on a team full of skilled forwards. Keep him on the grinding line and continue to develop his offensive game. Not sure who will be paired up with him next year, but how about Kulich and Jost. Skill, grit and a high ceiling for this three. If an injury occurs to any of the other centers, I have faith that Krebs will keep his motor in overdrive and backfill admirably.

I think Dahlin 1C   With Tuch and Skinner   and Power 2c with Tage and Cozens

Middlestat 3c with Quinn and Rousek

Krebs 4C with Greenway and Peterka

Can you imagine how good they be, need no offense defenseman just Levi shutting everyone out. Get a Bunch of 250lb guys laying down blocking shots on defense

😂       🙃      🤪

Everyone can dream FANTASY!

15 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Krebs and Mitts have one year each left on their deals.  Both will be RFAs. Let’s say for arguments sake that both take another leap forward next season. Mitts goes from 59 points to the low 70’s and pots 20+. Can we really afford another $7 mill forward long-term? What about Krebs? How much do you pay him if he becomes a 40pt + guy and he becomes a JT Compher type player? He made great strides toward that goal this year. 

As to the topic at hand, how DG utilizes Mitts will help determine where Krebs plays.  If Mitts is the 3C, Krebs either returns as the 4C or tries his hand as a winger.

I can’t see Krebs getting much more than 30 playing 4C.  How many 4th line players getting 13.5 ATOI get over this?  I see him getting the same bridge Mitts has today. I’d be fine with a $2.5M extension that carries him through the 2026 season.  If he blossoms during the contract, and one of the three #1s are pushing for a rosy spot, you can trade him for other assets.

11 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

I can’t see Krebs getting much more than 30 playing 4C.  How many 4th line players getting 13.5 ATOI get over this?  I see him getting the same bridge Mitts has today. I’d be fine with a $2.5M extension that carries him through the 2026 season.  If he blossoms during the contract, and one of the three #1s are pushing for a rosy spot, you can trade him for other assets.

Your assuming he stays at the 4C.  Injuries and other issues tend to change assignments over the course of a season.  Look at Mitts this year; from a failed 3C early, to a thriving 2/3W in the middle to the no. 1 center by year’s end.  VO, a perennial 20+ goal scorer played himself off the roster.  

Don’t forget that Krebs was on the same level as Cozens for much of their Jr careers.  Krebs was Canada’s leading scorer at the U18 (10 pts 6goals).  Cozens had 9 points.  At the U20, Cozens blew up (16 pts), but on a loaded team, (Perfetti, Quinn, Newhook, Byfield, Cozens, McMichael etc..) Krebs was tied for 2nd with McMichael with 8pts.  Krebs also average nearly 2 pts a game his final Jr year.  This is a very talented player who is only 22.  To Krebs’ credit he accepted the role DG gave him and became the 2nd most physical forward on the roster.  

Krebs Is still a mystery for me. What I do know is that he improved as the season went on. My opinion however is that he improved from one of the worst forwards in the league to someone who was just serviceable.

I really have no idea when the NHL draft comes around who is going to be good and who isn't. So when I see someone draft in the 1st round I'm always excited to get them as a prospect, so I was happy he came back in the Eichel trade. But after watching Krebs for a year and a 1/2, I just don't see it. Yes he is young, but I really don't see many signs of a top end player. I hope I'm wrong.

22 hours ago, Xzy89c said:

Every coach in this league and any other league will disagree with you on faceoffs. Hockey today is about holding puck and creating offense. Free possession on a faceoff is gold.

https://theleafsnation.com/news/amp/how-important-are-faceoffs-in-hockey

The majority of the people in this world don’t take the time to update their priors. They just pass along the things the guy before them said.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.