GDT: Sabres @ Rangers - April 10, 2023, 7pm, MSG ๐Ÿ“บ WGR ๐Ÿ“ป

Porous Five Hole

Buffalo is on the road to take on the New York Rangers tonight, opening up the first of two back-to-back sets this week.ย 

The Sabres remain in the mix as one of four teams still vying for a Wild Card spot in the Eastern Conference.ย 

For their best shot at making the playoffs, they'll need to win all of their four remaining games to reach 93 points and then they'll need some help from the teams playing the Panthers (max. 95 points), Islanders (max. 95 points) and Penguins (max. 94 points).

Following tonight's game, the team will head to New Jersey for a match against the Devils tomorrow night at 7.ย 

ย 

I believe at this point if we lose a game, we're eliminated. Also if both the Islanders and the Panthers win tonight, we're eliminated regardless of the outcome. They both have 91 points. That would put them at 93, which is our max. However both have more regulation wins (Panthers: 36, Islanders: 35) than we can earn at this point even if we win out in regulation.

ย 

Panthers are at home against Toronto tonight, so we at least have a shot of living another day, but it's razor thin. They play their final game at home against Carolina on Thursday, so it's possible they could lose out. If that happens then we have to worry about Pittsburgh getting to 94 points (currently at 90). If they get 3 or less, we have a shot.

ย 

Islanders play at a Caps team that is likely still without Ovi, has already been eliminated and is on a 4 game losing streak. They finish up at home against Montreal on Wednesday.

ย 

Pittsburgh is at home against Chicago on Tuesday and on the road against Columbus on Thursday. Not likely they'll drop a point, but if they do, they'd only have 31 or 32 regulation wins. We are at 29 regulation wins so we can max out at 33, which would have us ahead of them.

ย 

Either way must win. Let's go boys.

Edited by SabresBaltimore
adding more details
  • Like (+1) 2

If my reading of the standings is right, the Sabres can only lose 1 point for the season (and get to 92) to have any chance. The Sabres can't match the Aisles and Swamp Cats for RW and both are 6 points ahead, so they need one more point both of them. The Sabres could beat the Pens in RW, if they ended up tied in points.

Sabres WC scenarios (assuming all wins remaining):

• Neither Aisles nor Swamp Cats earn 2 or more points in their last two games
  • Pens take 3 or fewer points in their remaining 2 games
  • Like (+1) 1

I've trashed Mitts quite a bit this season, but I have nothing bad to say about his play as of late. Especially his game against the Canes. I just have to accept that he may never be a 20+ goal scorer, but he has become one of the best passers on the team.ย 

I also trashed Greenway some. But since returning from his injury, he looks like a completely different player. More like the one I expected to see.ย 

Now go take a huge dump on the Rags tonight.ย 

Edited by Claude Balls
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The Sabres have played the Rags well in their 2 previous meetings though they took 1 L out of the 2.

Put Levi between the pipes, get the W, and worry about Joisey tomorrow. Lather, rinse, repeat 3 times and hope that they get the help they need.

Exactly, worry about this one and insert lineup accordingly.

Tomorrow is another day.

• Agree 1

The Rangers will be motivated too, it's not likely but if they win out and Carolina loses out they would have the 1 seed in the Met. Or if they get 3 more points in their last 2 than the Devils, they could move to the 2 seed. Neither is likely, but that won't matter.

ย 

We're going to need to play another complete game and find a way to get the win in regulation.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.