Your grade for the Sabres at the deadline?

Eleven

Mine is a C.  They had the opportunity to make a mid-term (i.e., not a rental, but not 3 years or more) improvement on the blueline and balked.  I like the addition of Greenway, and I'm a little more than ok with the Stillman deal.  I do not think there was a legit deal for a goalie; I think Nashville's asking price for Saros likely was high (if that's the goalie that the Preds were trading to begin with).  They also passed up the opportunity to take on salary for picks. 

The Sabres pass, and do so with an average grade.

• Like (+1) 1

I can live with C.  

I wish these moves were made as soon as we knew that Dahl and Tuch were down so maybe we could get a bit of a boost for the last couple of games, but I recognize that maybe those moves weren’t there a few days ago.

Edited by Weave
  • Agree 1

B- : Greenway and Stillman will likely be better in Buffalo than they were earlier this year. They got a reasonable pick for a player that wasn't going to sign. 

Could've been much better, but they did improve the team and didn't sacrifice any of the future for it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

B- : Greenway and Stillman will likely be better in Buffalo than they were earlier this year. They got a reasonable pick for a player that wasn't going to sign. 

Could've been much better, but they did improve the team and didn't sacrifice any of the future for it.

I'm not sure a 2nd round pick seems like a lot for a 3rd line winger with limited scoring potential. Yes we could need the physical presence but feels like a lot. Then we added for a 6th/7th Damn for a prospect which is meh. Color me unimpressed. The Petersen trade to me the only one that feels was a good trade for us.

A C is fair, I would have liked them to address the 2nd line defensemen issue but they can still do this at the draft. I wasn't expecting a single move so getting Greenway was a pleasant surprise and a guy I was pushing for which is always cool. We got tougher and better defensively which is what we were trying to accomplish imo.

“A” for me, because I like to read tea-leaves, and for me all variables considered, it was reflective of a mindset that makes me hopeful. 

Non-negligible possibility this deadline amounts to zilch long term (in fact that’s probably likely - even deals like “best trade ever!” tend to evaporate to nothingness in a matter of years sometimes -) but we clearly were looking to make improvements to a team that, statistically, has been continually improving 

Dahlin practiced today and that was as good as a bong-rip (legal here, no illegal content in this post, I never smoked before it was legal, either), truth be told, so I was all buttered up to like this one 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I'm not sure a 2nd round pick seems like a lot for a 3rd line winger with limited scoring potential. Yes we could need the physical presence but feels like a lot. Then we added for a 6th/7th Damn for a prospect which is meh. Color me unimpressed. The Petersen trade to me the only one that feels was a good trade for us.

You could only hope a 2nd rd pick turns into a Greenway.  Its like a 25% chance.  We traded a 25% chance of a Greenway in 3-5 years for a fully developed Greenway now and for the next 2 seasons.

Draft picks are over valued.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Weave said:

You could only hope a 2nd rd pick turns into a Greenway.  Its like a 25% chance.  We traded a 25% chance of a Greenway in 3-5 years for a fully developed Greenway now and for the next 2 seasons.

Draft picks are over valued.

Piggy-backing on this:  In 2014, the Sabres had 3 2d round picks, as they did for 2023 before today.  The picks?  Compher, Hurley, Bailey.  One is an NHL regular who benefits from being on a stacked team, one is a sometime-callup to the NHL, and one, to my knowledge, is Norway.  To trade a chance at one of those three for a known regular player is a smart move every time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This deadline grade ultimately comes down to the grades for the Stillman and Greenway deals.  The rest are minor adjustments with little impact on the ice.  
I give the Greenway deal an A+++, but I loath the Stillman trade. I give that deal a D. Overall because the defense is a far greater need I give KA’s effort a C.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Thorny said:

“A” for me, because I like to read tea-leaves, and for me all variables considered, it was reflective of a mindset that makes me hopeful. 

Non-negligible possibility this deadline amounts to zilch long term (in fact that’s probably likely - even deals like “best trade ever!” tend to evaporate to nothingness in a matter of years sometimes -) but we clearly were looking to make improvements to a team that, statistically, has been continually improving 

Dahlin practiced today and that was as good as a bong-rip (legal here, no illegal content in this post, I never smoked before it was legal, either), truth be told, so I was all buttered up to like this one 

B+.  I could go to an A though. I'm someplace in between there.

Why?  I think you are going to get a lot more options in the offseason when the teams who were bidding for guys now might have to be dumping guys in the offseason.  A different selection of  players might be available, but I think a much larger selection will be there. I want my assets available for moves at that time. Plus, its going to be a lot easier to integrate a new guy into the team when you have the offseason and training camp to do so, rather than throwing him in now.  Finally, Yes, I would LOVE for this team to get a 2nd pair quality D-man now, but I didnt expect it, and other than that I am more than happy with the current young team getting experience together to fail or succeed the rest of the season.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

B+.  I could go to an A- though. 

Why?  I think you are going to get a lot more options in the offseason when the teams who were bidding for guys now might have to be dumping guys in the offseason.  A different selection of  players might be available, but I think a much larger selection will be there. I want my assets available for moves at that time. Plus, its going to be a lot easier to integrate a new guy into the team when you have the offseason and training camp to do so, rather than throwing him in not.  Finally, Yes, I would LOVE for this team to get a 2nd pair quality D-man now, but I didnt expect it, and other than that I am more than happy with the current young team getting experience together to fail or succeed the rest of the season.

The fact we spent a 2nd and 5th on a player, NOW, when as you correctly point out - there’d be more to spend it on this summer, is indication to me KA feels the move could help our playoff push 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

D

Failure to address the defense deficiencies.

Failure to rid us of the 3 headed net minder monster.

Failure to get me to stop asking why Olofsson is still here.

Success in bringing in another 8th D man for depth, questionable nepotism involved so the success, at least by the optics, or appearances, diminishes the Success stature.

Success in bringing in a hard nosed player in Greenway.

Break even on Asplund and the AHL trades.

3 Failures = F

1.5 Success = B

Failure to Success ratio is x2, therefore, F to B x2F = D

Yes, D, a very fair grade given the current circumstances surrounding the team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

D

Failure to address the defense deficiencies.

Failure to rid us of the 3 headed net minder monster.

Failure to get me to stop asking why Olofsson is still here.

Success in bringing in another 8th D man for depth, questionable nepotism involved so the success, at least by the optics, or appearances, diminishes the Success stature.

Success in bringing in a hard nosed player in Greenway.

Break even on Asplund and the AHL trades.

3 Failures = F

1.5 Success = B

Failure to Success ratio is x2, therefore, F to B x2F = D

Yes, D, a very fair grade given the current circumstances surrounding the team.

Oh just play ‘im a bit o’music, he’ll fall straight to sleep!

11 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

B+.  I could go to an A though. I'm someplace in between there.

Why?  I think you are going to get a lot more options in the offseason when the teams who were bidding for guys now might have to be dumping guys in the offseason.  A different selection of  players might be available, but I think a much larger selection will be there. I want my assets available for moves at that time. Plus, its going to be a lot easier to integrate a new guy into the team when you have the offseason and training camp to do so, rather than throwing him in not.  Finally, Yes, I would LOVE for this team to get a 2nd pair quality D-man now, but I didnt expect it, and other than that I am more than happy with the current young team getting experience together to fail or succeed the rest of the season.

This is an excellent example of an opinion that I don't necessarily agree with, but which is well-written and well-reasoned.

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I shouldn't of said that. 

have

I’ll go with a B.

I like everything that they did just fine.  They didn’t fix major roster holes, but I’m not sure that I wanted them to based on the deadline prices I saw.

This team still needs a starting goalie and a 2nd pair RD.  I feel confident that they are trying to find the right fit.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.