Forward Jordan Greenway Traded to Buffalo for a 2023 2nd VGK and 2024 5th Round Pick

Brawndo

Jost, Clague, Mittelstadt. All reclamation projects under Granato. I think the improvement in those players speaks for itself. Jost has certainly provided insight into what was going on in Minnesota. As someone implied above, the high ceiling on Greenway could be 50pt guy who finishes checks. This was a good move.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Is deterrence a real thing in the NHL? Was it ever? If some coach or player decides to try and take out Dahlin, I don't see anyone stopping it.

Of course there's no stopping that (I'm not referring to that). And it's not merely about deterrence as much as prior to this, teams knew they could be physical with Buffalo and we couldn't handle that well nor would it be returned. And we certainly weren't getting physical with them. But over the course of a game, if you want to play a physical game - not merely taking someone out but checking hard - then Buffalo needs to be able to match that. Adding a player with physical presence was absolutely necessary as it benefits the team's presence on ice. 

• Agree 1

Where does Greenway slot once he gets here?  

The line of Cozens, Mitts and Vinnie looks terrific together (admittedly small sample size)

Jost Z and KO seem fine together and Quinn is excelling playing with Thompson and Skinner.

That leaves JJP, Krebs, and VO.  Who are you sitting for Greenway?  JJP?   

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Where does Greenway slot once he gets here?  

The line of Cozens, Mitts and Vinnie looks terrific together (admittedly small sample size)

Jost Z and KO seem fine together and Quinn is excelling playing with Thompson and Skinner.

That leaves JJP, Krebs, and VO.  Who are you sitting for Greenway?  JJP?   

Yea.

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

No. Tage Thompson is an exception just like Josh Allen. Most ppl aren't and Greenway has 317 games under his belt. Tage had 145 before his breakout. 

Nope 

tage is josh allin.

say it with me 

you need to put aside the Ranger and become what you were born to be 

a “Tage is Josh Allin” Guy

Edited by Thorny

4 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

But even larger.

^This. Though 89 is one of the very coolest numbers possible, perhaps in the history of ever. But choosing a number in the 60s and 70s? What are you, an offensive lineman? You receive a pass and you get whistled for Illegal Touching?

12 is also my number so I'm a bit happier, and the Sabres have generally struggled with the 12 sweater so I'm thinking they're due to have a hit.

That’s what sh-

you know what never mind 

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

No way you take JJP out of the lineup right now.   He's getting a boatload of scoring chances lately, eventually he'll start cashing in.  IMO he's playing well.

VO is the odd man out. 

I just noted this in the 3/4 GDT. I give them each one day off in the next 2 games. They've both had good chances lately and JJP has the 1 goal to show for it, but each could use one day off to get the box view and recharge.

And I don't take Hino out against McDavid. Need the Cozens-Hino speed defense line to face the best player in the game. They've canceled him out before and can do so again.

19 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I just noted this in the 3/4 GDT. I give them each one day off in the next 2 games. They've both had good chances lately and JJP has the 1 goal to show for it, but each could use one day off to get the box view and recharge.

And I don't take Hino out against McDavid. Need the Cozens-Hino speed defense line to face the best player in the game. They've canceled him out before and can do so again.

VO isn’t part of the team’s long term plans he should be the odd man out 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

46 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

VO isn’t part of the team’s long term plans he should be the odd man out 

Probably correct.  But when the Thompson line took to the ice at the end of the 1st looking to sneak a lead before the period ended, Granato put Olofsson out on the ice with the 2 regulars from that line.  Expect it's goning to be mainly either just Vinnie sitting or him and Peterka rotating shoulc everybody be healthy.

Granato loves him some VO.

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Probably correct.  But when the Thompson line took to the ice at the end of the 1st looking to sneak a lead before the period ended, Granato put Olofsson out on the ice with the 2 regulars from that line.  Expect it's goning to be mainly either just Vinnie sitting or him and Peterka rotating shoulc everybody be healthy.

I thought Peterka played well in this game. And very recently he has worked to put himself in position to have scoring opportunities, something he didn't have for an extended period of time. The issue of sitting JJ is a tricky issue. 

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I thought Peterka played well in this game. And very recently he has worked to put himself in position to have scoring opportunities, something he didn't have for an extended period of time. The issue of sitting JJ is a tricky issue. 

If they sit JJP to play Hinostroza their entire argument about not blocking people or not sacrificing the long term for the short term is BS.  Given what they've done and not done to date, JJP needs to play the season out come hell or high water.

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

DG knows that VO does one thing, and only one thing, well when he's got it going. That was a good opportunity for VO to get it going again and imho nothing more should be read into it than that. Not about love as much as it was about taking advantage of the opportunity. I will not be surprised to see VO sent packing  in the off season.

1 minute ago, Contempt said:

If they sit JJP to play Hinostroza their entire argument about not blocking people or not sacrificing the long term for the short term is BS.  Given what they've done and not done to date, JJP needs to play the season out come hell or high water.

Now, the Hinostroza issue also becomes tricky. Since his call-up he has been playing well on a line with Cozens and Mitts. There are a number of considerations to juggle here regarding who sits or plays. I have confidence in Don G making the right choices when juggling players. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Peterka has been getting chances for about 5 games now.  He's actually played pretty well in general in 2 of the past 3 games.

Realize Granato will be reluctant to sit him but he's also NEVER benched Olofsson and Hinostroza is scoring goals since being brought back up (that will likely not be long lived, but as long as it is it's tough to sit him too.)

Greenway will be in the lineup.  Something has to give Monday.

And sitting Petera for a game or 2 will not be considered a demotion by management, they'll consider it a teaching moment.  That Krebs and Quinn came back much better after sitting a short bit will be used as justification should it happen.  And truly doubt they'd consider that "blocking" JJ.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Peterka has been getting chances for about 5 games now.  He's actually played pretty well in general in 2 of the past 3 games.

Realize Granato will be reluctant to sit him but he's also NEVER benched Olofsson and Hinostroza is scoring goals since being brought back up (that will likely not be long lived, but as long as it is it's tough to sit him too.)

And sitting Petera for a game or 2 will not be considered a demotion by management, they'll consider it a teaching moment.  That Krebs and Quinn came back much better after sitting a short bit will be used as justification should it happen.  And truly doubt they'd consider that "blocking" JJ.

You also don't press box a guy when his play has been improving. VO needs to watch a game or two.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

What your post demonstrates is that there are a number of considerations to factor in DG's decision. I agree with you that Greenway has to be in the lineup very soon. Isn't having difficult choices to make for game day lineups a refreshing problem to have? It wasn't that long ago where AHL caliber of players were the replacements. 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Girgensons might sit too 🙂

No. That Girgs/Yost/Okposo line is playing well and has an important role. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Contempt said:

I think the narrative has changed. We are now playing for a playoff spot. JJP has had a whole year to acclimate. Either he can kick it up a gear, like he did during the Calder Cup playoffs last year, or he can sit and watch Hino do so. Either way, it’ll be a learning experience for him. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.