NHL Trade Deadline 2023

LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, Contempt said:

including Bishop?

I looked at the reported total cap, and....ya, looks like it. 64 mil, Arizona at 67 mil

Pegula must be ecstatic. Adam's employing the old Oakland "A's" Moneyball strategy........we'll call it "Moneypuck"?

Edited by Scottysabres
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I looked at the reported total cap, and....ya, looks like it. 64 mil, Arizona at 67 mil

Pegula must be ecstatic. Adam's employing the old Oakland "A's" Moneyball strategy........we'll call it "Moneypuck"?

Winning just enough to not look like a total schmuck and paying rock bottom to do it. Perfect.  Weaponizing cap space? Nope. Adding at the deadline to help a young team make the playoffs for the first time in a decade? Nope. Raising ticket prices? You betcha.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

It's worthless to complain about inactivity and point to other teams right now....but in 22 hours, well, OK.  

I get the cynical perspective with this franchise and it's not just about having 16M in cap space.  It's the spendthrift ways that have been present for the last 3 seasons as attendance waned.  At the same time, attendance is up 70% this season over last through 30 games.    

But they've also handed out 130M in contracts to 3 players in the past 6 months.  They have their 1C and 2C for 7 years.  And I highly doubt they let their top D go either...which will carry a large price tag.  

Not to say they don't have issues which have been covered ad nauseam already. 

• Like (+1) 2

I have to say I'm disappointed in many of the posters here over the consternation over the lack of trades. The GM plan is to make us competitive for years and years, not to desperately make the playoffs to get swept, and give up assets. I'm keeping my eye on the big picture - this is clearly a development year which we may come close to making the playoffs, which is exciting - but next year is THE year. Hold firm GMKA.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • dislike 1

10 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

I have to say I'm disappointed in many of the posters here over the consternation over the lack of trades. The GM plan is to make us competitive for years and years, not to desperately make the playoffs to get swept, and give up assets. I'm keeping my eye on the big picture - this is clearly a development year which we may come close to making the playoffs, which is exciting - but next year is THE year. Hold firm GMKA.

NOBODY IS ASKING FOR RENTALS!!! We want the team to improve for this year and future years. There isn't enough defense and nothing in the pipeline. The goaltending has sucked for multiple years now. 

You don't want to add now, fine, at least be the facilitator in deals to bring in assets.

They've done essentially nothing thus far. If they come out and do something impactful, fine im wrong, I just don't see it happening.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I’m ok with not panicking and making bad deals only to miss the playoffs still or get bounced in 4 or 5 IF they make it.

Trades don’t guarantee a team makes it on unless they’re already firmly in (Boston)

People need to chill a bit. KA has locked up huge core pieces and Dahlin is next. We have cap room yes but it’s not as much as it would seem when you start locking up Dahlin and Power etc.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens but I’m in no panic. Waited this long. I can wait another year.

Edited by rickshaw
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

Ahhh, another Sabres staff member joins the chat 🙂

Seriously my friend, it is possible to do BOTH things. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

I can see why fans are upset since we haven't made the playoffs since Tim Connolly was still with the Sabres 12 seasons ago. We could have definitely helped ourselves before the deadline tomorrow with this player or that but who knows what teams were asking from us or maybe KA just didn't like said players. I'm expecting either nothing or something low level from us tomorrow so if nothing happens, something small or something big I wont be too high or too low. I do think it's wise to hold tight at this point since like other posters have said, if we go after a bunch of players and we end up missing the playoffs then it's a double edged sword imo. I do though think we should at the very least be sellers at the deadline, it doesn't have to be major but is Victor Olofsson, Casey Mittlestadt, Kyle Okposo or Craig Anderson part of our future? If not maybe unloading them and trading picks at the trade deadline for actual players may also present itself to us.

Edited by GoPuckYourself

Just now, GoPuckYourself said:

I can see why fans are upset since we haven't made the playoffs since Tim Connolly was still with the Sabres 11 seasons ago. We could have definitely helped ourselves before the deadline tomorrow with this player or that but who knows what teams were asking from us or maybe KA just didn't like said players. I'm expecting either nothing or something low level from us tomorrow so if nothing happens, something small or something big I wont be too high or too low. I do think it's wise to hold tight at this point since like other posters have said, if we go after a bunch of players and we end up missing the playoffs then it's a double edged sword imo. I do though think we should at the very least be sellers at the deadline, it doesn't have to be major but is Victor Olofsson, Casey Mittlestadt, Kyle Okposo or Craig Anderson part of our future? If not maybe unloading them and trading picks at the trade deadline for actual players may also present itself to us.

12 seasons ago*

8 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I can see why fans are upset since we haven't made the playoffs since Tim Connolly was still with the Sabres 12 seasons ago. We could have definitely helped ourselves before the deadline tomorrow with this player or that but who knows what teams were asking from us or maybe KA just didn't like said players. I'm expecting either nothing or something low level from us tomorrow so if nothing happens, something small or something big I wont be too high or too low. I do think it's wise to hold tight at this point since like other posters have said, if we go after a bunch of players and we end up missing the playoffs then it's a double edged sword imo. I do though think we should at the very least be sellers at the deadline, it doesn't have to be major but is Victor Olofsson, Casey Mittlestadt, Kyle Okposo or Craig Anderson part of our future? If not maybe unloading them and trading picks at the trade deadline for actual players may also present itself to us.

Hopefully not, and maybe somebody might be interested in Kyle if you find a way to make the salary work but the only player I can see playoff teams maybe looking at would be Girgensons. No one else we have has playoff value. 

30 minutes ago, Contempt said:

My son attended the last playoff series, he was 5. He turns 17 this summer. I'd like to watch another playoff game with him before he leaves my house.

When I moved out in 2012, the plan was to be back for every playoff game to watch as usual with my dad 

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

When I moved out in 2012, the plan was to be back for every playoff game to watch as usual with my dad 

And FTR, if people can't understand my level of annoyance and vitriol towards the team's management I think a lot of it is based on this.  The team's timeline for possible success is a lot longer than my timeline to be able to enjoy hockey with my children. As that timeline grows closer to it's end my own urgency grows while theirs is understandably unaffected.  This year is all the more annoying because they are right on the cusp of being good enough to make the playoffs and management doesn't really seem to care that much. It's nice that they don't want to mortgage the long-term for the short-term. I agree with that but is it that god damned hard to trade for someone who addresses both needs and makes the team better? I feel like I just watched 48 other teams do it and KA is sitting there "welp, if we make it we make it if not too bad". 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Arizona traded Bjugstad and Dineen to Edmonton for a prospect and a 2023 third.  Of course, Arizona retained 50% on Bjugstad.  I think this makes about 60% of Arizona's payroll going to people who do not actually play for the team.  I'm not exaggerating--it's close to 60%.

I’m not making a prediction, but I saw yesterday from one of the “insiders” that Calgary was considering moving out a player or two from their top 9, top 4, to recoup some draft capital and make cap space for the summer. The Flames lost last night.  If we make a deal today, maybe it’s the Flames who have a player or two who fit our timeline. 

11 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

I’m not making a prediction, but I saw yesterday from one of the “insiders” that Calgary was considering moving out a player or two from their top 9, top 4, to recoup some draft capital and make cap space for the summer. The Flames lost last night.  If we make a deal today, maybe it’s the Flames who have a player or two who fit our timeline. 

Hanifan or Tanev

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.