Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

40 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I agree. Football should be at 1pm on Sunday. The NFL is obnoxious.

We have only have ourselves to blame. If we weren’t such voracious consumers of their product, advertisers wouldn’t be seeking to maximize primetime viewers like they do. Also, as i said earlier, it’s the price we have to pay as Bills fans for having a good team with an entertaining elite QB. 

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

We have only have ourselves to blame. If we weren’t such voracious consumers of their product, advertisers wouldn’t be seeking to maximize primetime viewers like they do. Also, as i said earlier, it’s the price we have to pay as Bills fans for having a good team with an entertaining elite QB. 

For us Bills fans living outside WNY having 7-8 prime-time games, is a blessing.   This way we don't have to pay Youtube TV $350 for the season.

47 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

For us Bills fans living outside WNY having 7-8 prime-time games, is a blessing.   This way we don't have to pay Youtube TV $350 for the season.

It's going to be another country for "y'all" soon enough; no worries.

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What?  

I am guessing he is making a joke about the cultural divide in the country and suggesting the South will rise again -- or in his estimation, the dim-witted hillbillies will fall outside of civilization altogether and form their own nation, hence the "y'all."

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I am guessing he is making a joke about the cultural divide in the country and suggesting the South will rise again -- or in his estimation, the dim-witted hillbillies will fall outside of civilization altogether and form their own nation, hence the "y'all."

Ameristan, you heard it here first[0].

[0] not really, it's from a book

• Haha (+1) 1

Apparently Josh Allen is washed up at 26 according to the Athletic.  

https://theathletic.com/4522005/2023/05/17/nfl-best-bets-picks-teams/

“Buffalo Bills

Under 10.5 (+110)

The Bills were a popular Super Bowl pick a year ago and cruised to a 13-3 record before the wheels fell off. The schedule is tough, plus there are a growing number of NFL people who feel that Josh Allen — at 26! — has hit the ceiling and already is on his way back down. Not only will he have a hard time staying on the field while sacrificing his body the way he does, but some signs of wear and tear are already visible. The line of only 10.5 wins does feel like a trap.”

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

“Buffalo Bills

Under 10.5 (+110)

The Bills were a popular Super Bowl pick a year ago and cruised to a 13-3 record before the wheels fell off. The schedule is tough, plus there are a growing number of NFL people who feel that Josh Allen — at 26! — has hit the ceiling and already is on his way back down. Not only will he have a hard time staying on the field while sacrificing his body the way he does, but some signs of wear and tear are already visible. The line of only 10.5 wins does feel like a trap.”

Gee, wonder why Allen didn't look himself the last half of the season playing with an elbow with at least 1 partially torn ligament.  If he's healthy, he'll be just as good as he was in '21 and the beginning of '22.  Maybe better.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Gee, wonder why Allen didn't look himself the last half of the season playing with an elbow with at least 1 partially torn ligament.  If he's healthy, he'll be just as good as he was in '21 and the beginning of '22.  Maybe better.

And that's definitely not a "wear and tear" injury.  It's a fluke that can happen to any QB in the league.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

“Buffalo Bills

Under 10.5 (+110)

Did they qualify any of those signs of “wear and tear that are already visible?” 

I’m glad some are counting them out this coming season. It’s a relief when everyone and their mother anointed them champs going into last season. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Hopefully, the elbow/arm has healed.  It appears so by all the golf events and HR swings he has been taking.  I do like the possible threat of two tight ends for the offense.  Will keep the defense honest and hopefully slow down the pass rush.  OC should watch film when New England had Gronk and Hernandez.

30 minutes ago, MISabresFan said:

Hopefully, the elbow/arm has healed.  It appears so by all the golf events and HR swings he has been taking.  I do like the possible threat of two tight ends for the offense.  Will keep the defense honest and hopefully slow down the pass rush.  OC should watch film when New England had Gronk and Hernandez.

I doubt Kinkaid is anything but a TE in name only.  They are talking about him being off the line aka the slot. 

On 5/12/2023 at 1:00 AM, JujuFish said:

Tangentially, all 17th games should be at a neutral location, IMO.

Interesting thought.

On 5/17/2023 at 10:50 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

plus there are a growing number of NFL people who feel that Josh Allen — at 26! — has hit the ceiling and already is on his way back down. 

I know that sports writers are under immense pressure to create content that will generate the clicks, but, for heaven's sakes with this.

Edited by That Aud Smell

2 hours ago, inkman said:

I doubt Kinkaid is anything but a TE in name only.  They are talking about him being off the line aka the slot. 

He's 240 lbs.  He'll be playing a Kelce role (and hopefully as a reasonable facsimile of the original) but he's a TE.  Probably won't be able to block worth a darn for a couple of years but he isn't a "slot receiver."

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/12/2023 at 1:00 AM, JujuFish said:

Definitely a decent schedule. Worst thing appears to be losing a home game to London against a dangerous Jags team who will already be acclimated since they also play there the week prior. At least it's a 9th home game.

Tangentially, all 17th games should be at a neutral location, IMO.

IMHO, they came up with a pretty good solution to the uneven # of games and some teams getting an extra home game and others not getting it.  All the teams in 1 conference get the extra home game the 1st year and the next year the extra home game goes to the other conference.  So that extra game doesn't give a team an edge on making the playoffs.

36 minutes ago, Taro T said:

IMHO, they came up with a pretty good solution to the uneven # of games and some teams getting an extra home game and others not getting it.  All the teams in 1 conference get the extra home game the 1st year and the next year the extra home game goes to the other conference.  So that extra game doesn't give a team an edge on making the playoffs.

That's not bad, but since the NFL insists on doing things like London games, I still think a neutral 17th game is better.

20 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

That's not bad, but since the NFL insists on doing things like London games, I still think a neutral 17th game is better.

It's be interested if the neutral sites games weren't necessarily NFL facilities too, although though may be difficult in some cases. But you could play overseas neutral, Canada, Mexico, US places that don't have an NFL team (like Salt Lake City or the Meadowlands). On the infield at NASCAR tracks, minor league baseball stadiums... you know, maybe not.

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

I feel like they'd have a hard time consistently coming up with 16 neutral locations each season.  I think there would be burnout over time at those locations from the fans as the novelty wears off.  Let's face it, they'd be hitting the same cities over and over.  They wouldn't be playing games in Des Moines.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, MattPie said:

It's be interested if the neutral sites games weren't necessarily NFL facilities too, although though may be difficult in some cases. But you could play overseas neutral, Canada, Mexico, US places that don't have an NFL team (like Salt Lake City or the Meadowlands). On the infield at NASCAR tracks, minor league baseball stadiums... you know, maybe not.

How about some college football stadiums?   How about a Bills vs Giants in the Carrier Dome?  or Seahawks vs Raiders in the Autzen Field in Eugene?  How about Falcons vs Texans in Death Valley or Tuscaloosa?  

58 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

16 minutes ago, shrader said:

I feel like they'd have a hard time consistently coming up with 16 neutral locations each season.  I think there would be burnout over time at those locations from the fans as the novelty wears off.  Let's face it, they'd be hitting the same cities over and over.  They wouldn't be playing games in Des Moines.

Yeah, can't see the NFL getting itself locked into 16 "neutral site" games each year.  Could actually see them trying to get to about 20 (10 in London with 4-5 of them being Jags games, 4-5 in Germany, 1-2 random European location, 1-2 in Tokyo/China, & with 2-4 in Mexico) up from the 6 or so they have now; but don't see them ever getting themselves boxed into a precise # of those games.

They don't care about competitive balance beyond the lip service they provide by having every team's roster of opponents set by formula.  After that, there are teams that play multiple Thursday night games starting this year.  They've added a Friday game.  They've plans to even make Thursday games flex games (probably starting next season).  They are a TV revenue stream league and they've already started making the transition to becoming a streaming TV product.  They seem hell bent on killing the golden goose; but protocols to attempt to eliminate concussions might beat them to it out of necessity.  So, they could be simply seeing their product being a cash cow that has a (relatively) limited shelf life; rather than a bunch of greedy SOBs looking to bring in as much as they can today, the heck with tomorrow as there's no way it'll ever get stripped of its crown of being the most popular sport in America.  (Never happened to boxing, nor baseball either, right?)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

How about some college football stadiums?   How about a Bills vs Giants in the Carrier Dome?  or Seahawks vs Raiders in the Autzen Field in Eugene?  How about Falcons vs Texans in Death Valley or Tuscaloosa?  

Would the TV networks care about / want to have NFL teams playing in college stadiums enough (read by increasing the $'s to the NFL) to make it worth the while of the teams to tick off their luxury box owners and STHers and reduce the revenues from them with likely a lesser amount of money coming in from the college venue?  Especially when a lot of these teams contractually have to have so many games played in their home stadium as part of the agreement to have the tax payers shell out a significant portion of the money that got these palaces built in the 1st place, really doubt it.  

The schedule has many dissing the Bills  as of now. I take it 1 week at a time with injuries changing everything. Could care less about betting lines/spreads, since I don't bet.

Signing Von Miller sent the hype train out of control last year.  Allen won't be throwing, running, blocking, doing everything this year. They gave him more help. Now it's up tp Dorsey to call a better gameplan in his year 2. 

Edited by Night Train
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Would the TV networks care about / want to have NFL teams playing in college stadiums enough (read by increasing the $'s to the NFL) to make it worth the while of the teams to tick off their luxury box owners and STHers and reduce the revenues from them with likely a lesser amount of money coming in from the college venue?  Especially when a lot of these teams contractually have to have so many games played in their home stadium as part of the agreement to have the tax payers shell out a significant portion of the money that got these palaces built in the 1st place, really doubt it.  

The current broadcast deals have years left before they expire so the venue has no bearing on the billions the NFL gets annually from the various broadcasters. The networks do have certain technical requirements to support modern day telecasts, so there may be an issue with some stadiums around the country in that regard. 

As you implied, the big issue is the local revenues generated for teams at their home games. Corporate sponsors, suite owners, etc. pay a premium for home games and while ticket, concession, parking and other local revenues pale in comparison to broadcast revenues, they are still a significant factor to team bottom lines. 

Don't have a link to it, but heard the NFL WILL start flexing Thursday night games this season.  Can only happen twice in 1 season & there needs to be at least 28 day's notice.  But once again the league proves it doesn't care a rat's bippy for the fans that actually show up in the overly lavish mausoleums the owners build as tributes to themselves on the tax payers' dime.