Sabres Trade Deadline 2023 Discussion

GASabresIUFAN

Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade for the playoff push?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade without hurting the team long-term

• Goaltender - We need another goalie, I'm not comfortable with UPL, Comrie and Andy for the playoffs
    • 2nd pair Defense - Jokiharju needs to be upgraded
    • 3rd pair Defense - Bryson needs to be upgraded
    • Defense depth - I want someone better than Clague in the 7th D slot
    • Forward depth - We need a better 13th forward than Vinnie or Asplund
    • Scoring Depth - Upgrade one of Mitts or VO now. Don't wait until the off-season
    • 4th line - As much as I like KO and Z, we need more grit and more production from the 4th line
  2. 2. How many deals will KA complete by the trade deadline

• 0 - KA won't spend any assets to help this team
    • 1 or 2 - KA will utilize our cap space to help other deals get done, but won't acquire any help at the deadline
    • 1 or 2 - KA will acquire some D help at the deadline.
    • 3 or 4 - KA will acquire D help and will also pick up assets using our cap space to help others get deals done
    • 5 or more - KA is going to bolster the Sabres and the Amerks.

This poll is closed to new votes

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

How many votes ? 

11. 😇

Out of more than 2000. Listen... I'm not saying he was a contender, just that he was noted for his defensive skills as a forward and earned some votes. It's really sad that the only other Sabre to even get a vote last season for any major award was VO. 28 votes for the Lady Byng. He finished 23rd. https://www.hockey-reference.com/awards/voting-2022.html 

But this year will be quite different.

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

11. 😇

Out of more than 2000. Listen... I'm not saying he was a contender, just that he was noted for his defensive skills as a forward and earned some votes. It's really sad that the only other Sabre to even get a vote last season for any major award was VO. 28 votes for the Lady Byng. He finished 23rd. https://www.hockey-reference.com/awards/voting-2022.html 

But this year will be quite different.

I think 2000 is the points based on The Professional Hockey Writers votes 1-5. And the association has like 200 members.  So even less impressive.  Based on the writers from Buffalo they could have colluded to get Ras a few more #5 votes.   Here is the link for the Buffalo “chapter”.  You think they have a year end party?  If so, does it rival the Tri Lambs? 

https://www.thephwa.com/chapters/buffalo-phwa-chapter/

Robert Carradine 80S GIF

• Thanks (+1) 1

Good Morning my fellow Sabres maniacs.

Everyone awake or just now rubbing the sleepy's from their eyes should be downing or about to down their morning cups of Joe. It's a day before dead line day, and we Sabres faithful have a busy 24 hrs ahead of ourselves. We'll be dissecting Adam's every decision, some are already sharpening their mental swords in anticipation of the outbursts that are sure to come. There is much excitement in the air as the team is within striking distance of a playoff spot. Let is introduce the 2 sides, off the right we have the "do something fool" crowd, hell bent on making the playoffs. On the left we have the "this wasn't a playoff year anyways" crowd, taking the pro Adam's stay the course strategy.

Like a once in a life time episode of "Angry Runs", my fellow Sabres faithful I give you our fan bases version,  "Angry Trades". While cantaloupe hunting your trade decisions opposite view holders, remember, try to be civil and no burning down Key Bank Centers comments please......

So enjoy, and have it........ 😀

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Good Morning my fellow Sabres maniacs.

Everyone awake or just now rubbing the sleepy's from their eyes should be downing or about to down their morning cups of Joe. It's a day before dead line day, and we Sabres faithful have a busy 24 hrs ahead of ourselves. We'll be dissecting Adam's every decision, some are already sharpening their mental swords in anticipation of the outbursts that are sure to come. There is much excitement in the air as the team is within striking distance of a playoff spot. Let is introduce the 2 sides, off the right we have the "do something fool" crowd, hell bent on making the playoffs. On the left we have the "this wasn't a playoff year anyways" crowd, taking the pro Adam's stay the course strategy.

Like a once in a life time episode of "Angry Runs", my fellow Sabres faithful I give you our fan bases version,  "Angry Trades". While cantaloupe hunting your trade decisions opposite view holders, remember, try to be civil and no burning down Key Bank Centers comments please......

So enjoy, and have it........ 😀

Today feels like being a 10-year old kid on Christmas Eve...

...only to wake up the next morning to nothing but a pack of white tube socks under the tree.

😀  🥱 💤 😕

Edited by ExWNYer
  • Haha (+1) 2

@Hank putting an X on that particular comment is just mindboggling. 

On 3/1/2023 at 11:59 AM, LGR4GM said:

Sorry but if we are talking about "if they get in" next year, Adams has objectively failed. 

Suggesting a guy who will finish 1st or 2nd in the Norris vote hasn't really had his cup winning window open yet is just not accurate. 

Which part do you disagree with here Hank? I'd be so curious to hear that. 

***** it.

I have convinced myself that the Sabres should go after Demko and send UPL back plus. 

I won't speculate on the plus but obviously I'd rather get him on the cheap. 

Donny likely knows Demko from team USA camps, which I could confirm with some research but I'll leave that to others.

He's the perfect age and experience to usher in the Levi Era and win games now.

His last two seasons stats would be good enough to make the playoffs and are not that far removed as to think he's permanently broken. 

Get him GMKA. Get him now, please. 

14 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

...only to wake up the next morning to nothing but a pack of white tube socks under the tree.

😀  🥱 💤 😕

My mom used to say it was because sticks and nikes were expensive so if I got one of those the only remaining gifts were duds

2 minutes ago, Norcal said:

My mom used to say it was because sticks and nikes were expensive so if I got one of those the only remaining gifts were duds

Right. The 'filler' gifts for volume. Only here, the socks are the main gift not the filler gift. No stick, no Nikes. 😉

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

@Hank putting an X on that particular comment is just mindboggling. 

Which part do you disagree with here Hank? I'd be so curious to hear that. 

Suggesting a guy who will finish 1st or 2nd in the Norris vote hasn't really had his cup winning window open yet is just not accurate.

This. You and I have been in lockstep on most everything this season. Even If Dahlin wins the Norris I don't think his cup window is open, because the teams cup window isn't open. We just aren't there yet, regardless or how great Dahlin is. My opinion will change if we get Saros and an upgrade on D. 

If Adams doesn't feel motivated to make moves to increase the chances of getting in the 8th spot this year....is there a logic to become mild sellers? 

Just being provocative here but if pending UFA Bertuzzi gets a 1st and a 4th, is Okposo worth a 2nd? Not that we need a 2nd, but it's more ammunition for trading in the off-season. Is Girgensons worth a D prospect who is farther along than an upcoming draft pick would be? 

Let's face it, locker room cohesion aside those guys are 4th liners. We could see what we have with some Amerks guys to backfill them to close the season. 

I am very disappointed that Adams didn't make a move to help this team win now and next year. But after processing what has happened and considering how ridiculously stacked the East is with many buyers at the deadline...it could be a market opportunity to go against the crowd to set-up the next year or two (not for 3+ years from now) so long as the assets acquired can help acquire other assets or be ready sooner than draft picks. 

5 minutes ago, TheAud said:

If Adams doesn't feel motivated to make moves to increase the chances of getting in the 8th spot this year....is there a logic to become mild sellers? 

Just being provocative here but if pending UFA Bertuzzi gets a 1st and a 4th, is Okposo worth a 2nd? Not that we need a 2nd, but it's more ammunition for trading in the off-season. Is Girgensons worth a D prospect who is farther along than an upcoming draft pick would be? 

Let's face it, locker room cohesion aside those guys are 4th liners. We could see what we have with some Amerks guys to backfill them to close the season. 

I am very disappointed that Adams didn't make a move to help this team win now and next year. But after processing what has happened and considering how ridiculously stacked the East is with many buyers at the deadline...it could be a market opportunity to go against the crowd to set-up the next year or two (not for 3+ years from now) so long as the assets acquired can help acquire other assets or be ready sooner than draft picks. 

I think there is an argument for a little selling, but I have a hard time coming up with a player whom I would move who could return anything but mediocre futures and not a developing defencive prospect.

3 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Eastern arms race is nearly over. Most teams have spent their ammo.
KA is still in on something. He is moving at a glacial pace but things are heating up.

Still a day to go.

Saros rumour is a good one. Do it!

I hope you are right.  A player like Saros would patch a glaring hole on the roster next season.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TheAud said:

Logically you make some good points but the "locker room cohesion aside" is the real question.

I really think that a lot of us don't realize how young this team really is.  You add in another group of young players on the horizon, and I think keeping both older guys is needed for the rest of the season.  Looking at some of mid-aged guys like Vinnie, they may not be around next season.  It's crazy to think that Bryson, Asplund and Comrie are all above the mid-point in age.  What seems a priority (at least for me) is bringing in an UFA or 2 who are older and have a good amount of playoff experience next season.  I think the type of player(s) these guys will be more important than just their skill level.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExWNYer said:

😀  🥱 💤 😕

Ya know, don't laugh, but some of us had "those grandparents". My stepfathers parents to be exact. I kid you not, we'd go over there for Xmas eve, have dinner, he was a retired naval officer. Anyways, we'd get USED, yes, I said USED, socks, goulash's and my poor brother being the oldest would get hand me down 1940's button down shirts. My mum would tell us before walking in, now you know the rule, thank them politely, eat all of your dinner and sit and listen to Stephanie (our step-gransmother) play the organ.

So, if you think you've had a painful Xmas eve with family, I've laid down the gauntlet :😜 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

Ya know, don't laugh, but some of us had "those grandparents". My stepfathers parents to be exact. I kid you not, we'd go over there for Xmas eve, have dinner, he was a retired naval officer. Anyways, we'd get USED, yes, I said USED, socks, goulash's and my poor brother being the oldest would get hand me down 1940's button down shirts. My mum would tell us before walking in, now you know the rule, thank them politely, eat all of your dinner and sit and listen to Stephanie (our step-gransmother) play the organ.

So, if you think you've had a painful Xmas eve with family, I've laid down the gauntlet :😜 

I had the 'responsible' grandmother. We always got clothes from her...socks, underwear, shirts, pants...because, as she said, "your parents already got you toys and sports equipment". She wasn't wrong and it's easy to understand the logic as an adult but the 10-year old me was crushed nonetheless when I saw that box from Sidey's or the JCPenney catalog. At least they were new though...and the Sabres were good then. 😂 🍻

Edited by ExWNYer
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Flashsabre said:

https://illegalcurve.com/strickland-report-defenceman-logan-stanley-has-requested-a-trade-from-the-winnipeg-jets/

Here is a 3rd pairing LHD to look at. 6’7, plays a physical game, will stick up for teammates. Can PK

This has to be Logan Stanley. Without even clicking 6'7" LHD physical. That was almost exactly what his draft profile said and I didn't care for him then and I don't now. 

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This has to be Logan Stanley. Without even clicking 6'7" LHD physical. That was almost exactly what his draft profile said and I didn't care for him then and I don't now. 

Definitely not worth the first the Jets used on him but as a 6-7th dman experiment I would buy low on him. He brings a different element.

2 hours ago, TheAud said:

I'm gonna go ahead and say I called it: Bjork to Chicago 

😉

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.