Sabres Trade Deadline 2023 Discussion

GASabresIUFAN

Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade for the playoff push?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade without hurting the team long-term

• Goaltender - We need another goalie, I'm not comfortable with UPL, Comrie and Andy for the playoffs
    • 2nd pair Defense - Jokiharju needs to be upgraded
    • 3rd pair Defense - Bryson needs to be upgraded
    • Defense depth - I want someone better than Clague in the 7th D slot
    • Forward depth - We need a better 13th forward than Vinnie or Asplund
    • Scoring Depth - Upgrade one of Mitts or VO now. Don't wait until the off-season
    • 4th line - As much as I like KO and Z, we need more grit and more production from the 4th line
  2. 2. How many deals will KA complete by the trade deadline

• 0 - KA won't spend any assets to help this team
    • 1 or 2 - KA will utilize our cap space to help other deals get done, but won't acquire any help at the deadline
    • 1 or 2 - KA will acquire some D help at the deadline.
    • 3 or 4 - KA will acquire D help and will also pick up assets using our cap space to help others get deals done
    • 5 or more - KA is going to bolster the Sabres and the Amerks.

This poll is closed to new votes

Use the VGK 2nd round pick you got from the Eichel deal to make the team better now. He doesn't need to mortgage the future to improve this team, he has options. I think my biggest fear/concern is that other teams are probably looking at our pick/prospect pool and think they can get more from a trade just because we have such a surplus? 

• Like (+1) 1

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-deadline-primer-how-gm-kevyn-adams-can-add-to-his-contending-roster/article_87787962-b6ba-11ed-a011-03c896d24f54.html

Lance does a good job analyzing the team’s needs and give detail on the players who may be a fit here that might be in KA’s price range.  Greenway and Jensen are on the list.  

For whatever it is worth, Adams just sent an e-mail out to STHers that makes it seem that at most there will be very small tweaks to the roster this week.

Talks about building the right way and building to win sustainably.

None of that should be surprising. Just putting it out there for whatever it is worth.

Edited by Taro T
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Within this WGR link is a segment with David Pagnotta talking about trades around the league, and Buffalo's tepid interest. This is around 18 minute segment. Also, within this link is a 20 minute Paul Hamilton. The Hamilton segment is better than most of his segments. These two segments combined offer good hockey talk. 

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/howard-and-jeremy-show

Let’s say for arguments sake that the Houser move is a precursor to KA getting a goalie for Buffalo at the deadline.

At this point, assuming KA feels the prices are right and in light of Tuch’s i jury, my ideal deadline acquisitions would be Chychrun, Vejmalka and Greenway.  All have two years left on their deals.  All add skills we need.  They would add 10.325 to the cap for the next 2 years, but if Comrie and Bryson are traded away, we’d net save 2.8 mill (after re-signing Clague for the 7th role).  

Even with this added payroll, our cap for next season would be 63.3 mill for 10 forwards, 7 D and 2 G.  Only Jost, Z, and KO to re-sign.  

All that said, I’ll believe it when I see it.

Less ideal would be to just add Greenway and a D like Jensen or Schenn and figure out the goaltending in the off-season.  I think adding a D to replace Clague and Bryson in the top 6 is hopefully a necessity.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

For whatever it is worth, Adams just sent an e-mail out to STHers that makes it seem that at most there will be very small tweaks to the roster this week.

None of that should be surprising. Just putting it out there for whatever it is worth.

This message from the FO has been consistent all season. 

Edited by ...
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

None of that should be surprising. Just putting it out there for whatever it is wor

Several of the resident GM's just went into cardiac arrest.   Heart Attack Fred Sanford GIF by MOODMAN

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

A tweak to the defense is all I'm looking for, as long as it's not ahl depth.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-deadline-primer-how-gm-kevyn-adams-can-add-to-his-contending-roster/article_87787962-b6ba-11ed-a011-03c896d24f54.html

Lance does a good job analyzing the team’s needs and give detail on the players who may be a fit here that might be in KA’s price range.  Greenway and Jensen are on the list.  

Jensen is the name that keeps coming up. 

I honestly do not think KA is going to bring in anyone other then fringe depth, and we are going to go with what we have. Not that they do not have the ability to play with the best as they have shown, but their youth has shown we can suck with the worst. Here is to hoping we get someone!!

• Agree 1

A very interesting read

Former NHL GM: It (can) damage not only the player’s performance, but it can damage your reputation within the organization. … I fired someone because they leaked the story about a trade prior to it happening. … I made it fairly clear to anybody who leaked anything about the trade. I’ll keep all you guys in the loop. But if there is one leak about a trade, I’ll cut your head off.

Button: I got a call one day and the manager says, “I’d be willing to trade you this for Robyn Regehr.” I said, “Oh, well today might be your lucky day.” He goes, “What do you mean?” I said, “Well, we were just sitting around in a meeting and we were talking about what’s the dumbest thing we could do and then you just proposed this. Don’t phone me with stupid proposals.”

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.