Anders Bjork Clears Waivers, Has Been Assigned to Rochester

Brawndo

• Brawndo changed the title to Sabres Place Anders Bjork on Waivers
34 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

In case anyone is wondering, the Sabres are NOT scrambling about the cap right now due to the Ben Bishop trade. If the numbers were a little different the team may have ended up in a place where they had to keep Bjork up and send down one of the ELC players otherwise.

Edited by MattPie
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

The life of a professional hockey player.  It's tough when an NHL team that you have worked hard for tells you that you are no longer quite good enough.

This guy was not great, but he is still human.  Same with that other much maligned guy ... Cody something.

Anyway, wish him well where he ends up.  And thank you for your service.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
more goodly ...
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4

25 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

If this was later in the season when injuries start to mount I could see him getting picked up. For now I think he goes to Rochester. 

Any thoughts on who might want to claim him?

The reality is...no one. He makes $1.7M per year, which is pretty sizeable for a net negative player.  That's basically a small albatross contract for a guy that is basically incapable of contributing meaningful minutes in the NHL.

I think the Bruins dumped Bjork's contract on the Sabres (and took a productive 4th line player in Curtis Lazar) as a chip in them giving us a 2nd round pick for Taylor Hall.  I'm not sure the Sabres were ever too excited about Bjork, but given the leverage the Bruins had in the Hall trade, the Sabres were stuck taking him.  They hung on to him for a couple of seasons because they didn't have NHL ready talent at the lower end of the roster.  Now they do, so Bjork is expendible.  As mentioned above, he'll be a good veteran player for the Amerks who could help out the Sabres as an experienced injury callup, so hopefully, he will clear waivers.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

The life of a professional hockey player.  It's tough when an NHL team that you have worked hard for tells you that you are no longer quite good enough.

On the other hand, I think he knows he's at best a marginal NHLer and (although I'm not sure what his AHL salary is), he will still be getting paid to play the sport he supposedly loves.

31 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

They hung on to him for a couple of seasons because he was under contract.

fify

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.