GDT - 10/14/22 - Marlies @ Amerks - 7:05 AHLTV (may be free trial)

inkman

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

He was listed on the 5th line during practice.  I think the ship is receding like a distant ship smoke on the horizon.  

Yup. Warren and Olischefski are there. Pekar, nope. I checked Cincinnati and he's not there either. "I don't even work here!"

Though, if he's good for the morale of Kulich and Rousek and their off-ice adapting to Rochester, that's good too.

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How depressing is it knowing how young the Sabres are, there are few opportunities to move up...unless you're a trade chip.

There is still room imo, Skinner could be replaced if he doesn't continue to produce, Mittelstadt if he doesn't break out, and we could maybe trade Olofsson eventually.

That is 3 top 6 spots right there, and then Okposo and Girgensons could be replaced, but those are 4th line players so I doubt it, the prospects would have to be really good if we were going to go to 4 scoring lines.

45 minutes ago, FanaticSense06 said:

There is still room imo, Skinner could be replaced if he doesn't continue to produce, Mittelstadt if he doesn't break out, and we could maybe trade Olofsson eventually.

That is 3 top 6 spots right there, and then Okposo and Girgensons could be replaced, but those are 4th line players so I doubt it, the prospects would have to be really good if we were going to go to 4 scoring lines.

Welcome to the board!

Solid win tonight. They were full marks for that W. To me this year might be more interesting then last with all the young talent developing. Hats off to Appert and staff.   They didn’t sit or shelter the kids tonight..

UPL looking like a difference maker. Knock on wood he can stay healthy, string together a strong run and get ready to move up.

Pilut is a superstar at the AHL level. Weissbach is a very good AHL player. He should get some callup looks when injuries hit.

4 teenagers in the lineup and they all looked like they belonged tonight.

Goal and an assist for Rosen and he looked good.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How depressing is it knowing how young the Sabres are, there are few opportunities to move up...unless you're a trade chip.

This is want you want in a organization.  You want the guys below to earn their way up and force management’s hand.  Also the cap will eventually force management to make some hard choices.  You’ll be thankful for that depth then.  In theory 3 or 4 forward slots might be available after this season as Vinnie, Sheahan, Okposo, and Girgensons are UFAs.  VO is a UFA the following year.

3 hours ago, FanaticSense06 said:

but those are 4th line players so I doubt it, the prospects would have to be really good if we were going to go to 4 scoring lines.

I can see Kozak as a goal scoring 4th liner. He has the grit and drive to play the role and does a good job playing the body (at least in the OHL). If he develops into a solid PK player, gets stronger, and can reliably win faceoffs, it becomes a decent window of opportunity for him as well as an organizational need.

• Like (+1) 2

Fun game to be at.

Really impressed w/ UPLs game last night.  Pretty sure he wants that 1st one back, but he had no chance on the 2nd & in between played one of his best games at this level.  The main parts of his game that have brought so many doubters were, for the most part, under control.  His rebound control was very good & he limited the times he didn't get himself square.  And the handful of times he was out of position either his D covered or the Marlies couldn't hit the net.  

Speaking of his D, even Laakksonen wasn't a raging tire fire in his own end and Prow was downright good there.  Pilut was clearly better than the competition.  Davies was solid paired with Shoulda-been-Farrance and Clague & Priske played well too w/ Priske chipping in a shortie.  They did a very good job of limiting the Marlies chances & shots overall.

The forwards were trying to be too cute early on, but seemed to simplify as the game went on.

All 4 Amerks goals were non-5v5.  3 PPs & the previously mentioned shortie.  The Marlies 2nd goal came on the PP as well.

The refs were not afraid to call penalties as the Amerks had ~6 PPs & the Marlies ~4.  Kyle Clifford the Big Dumb Dog went to the box 2 or 3 times  but could've been called at least 2 more times.

The Marlies were hitting everything in sight to start the game but settled down midway through the 1st.

Kozak is going to be fun to watch.  Mersch still has dropping to his knee to take a 1 timer as his go to move.  He got checked trying it on the Amerks 1st PP but fortunately Weisbeck was behind him and managed to get it past the D-man who was tending net for Kallgren who was waaaay out of the net.

The other 3 goals were all snipes from the right side off very nice feeds.  With the final 2 coming on the 1st 2 Amerk shots of the 3rd.

Prow crashed into Kallgren in the 2nd & Erik must've injured his back & ankle as the Marlie trainer helped him wobbly get off the ice.  The ankle must've swollen up in the intermission as he, not surprisingly, did not return.

Pretty good sized crowd with the 200's behind the Amerks net being the only area where fans en masse disguised themselves as empty seats.

Hopefully the Sabres can make it 3 for 3 this weekend shortly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.