Goaltending remains this organization’s biggest question mark.

GASabresIUFAN

On 10/11/2022 at 1:38 PM, DarthEbriate said:

Goaltending has been the concern since Hutton's eye year after his hot start. Ullmark wasn't great and had some injuries, but he's a .915 guy every year. This team is in the playoff chase with a .915 guy playing 55 games. Question is now: is Comrie capable of that? If not, pray UPL ascends (and also stays healthy), and that Levi and Portillo flunk out of school by January.

Ullmark was constantly getting hurt for long stretches of time tho...the guarantees in life?  Death, taxes and Ullmark being out for more than a month at some point during the year.

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

If Portillo bolts next summer, I would draft another goalie somewhere in rounds 3-7.  

Regardless of whether he bolts they should draft another goalie somewhere in rounds 3-7.  Even if Portillo signs he could be an afterthought w/in the 4 years+ it'll take for that goalie to see whether he deserves a shot in the NHL or not.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

They have to be trying to sign at least one of the other two kids lazing about someplace (Potillo and that other guy).

This is why you have to pick a goaler someplace in every draft.

I agree with the need to keep drafting them, but I still think there needs to be/probably is a plan to keep some cap space/asset powder dry to bring in a more sure-fire established good goalie should Levi not pan out. I believe our core will be advanced enough at that stage that we couldn’t afford to be waiting around for further draft picks at that point , picked after Levi, or taking chances on unestablished netminders like Comrie

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Thorny said:

What do you see as the plan for 2 years from now, in net, if Levi doesn’t pan out? 

There's a good chance Saros will be on the market in two years. That would be my plan if Levi isn't ready, but I believe Levi will be a stud. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Doohickie said:

The reporters really just need to say something every single second, don't they?  As good as that was last night, we're only 3 games in so far.  Didn't people really like "starter Hutton" early too?  Now granted, that was the 10 game win streak year if I remember correctly.  But regardless, it's way too early to be planning the parade or to be jumping off the bridge.  Hell, Comrie's stats weren't looking so hot just 14 hours ago.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, shrader said:

The reporters really just need to say something every single second, don't they?  As good as that was last night, we're only 3 games in so far.  Didn't people really like "starter Hutton" early too?  Now granted, that was the 10 game win streak year if I remember correctly.  But regardless, it's way too early to be planning the parade or to be jumping off the bridge.  Hell, Comrie's stats weren't looking so hot just 14 hours ago.

What stats are you referring to? His WPG stats were outstanding. Or are you talking about his preseason stats playing with 4h and 5th stringers?

25 minutes ago, shrader said:

He played against Florida.

He was hung out to dry some against FLA, but 2 games in he is at least showing he can play and maybe we did catch lightning in a bottle.

I agree only time can answer the riddle of what Cromrie will be for the Sabres.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I read after the game last night that Comrie saved 3 goals above expected.  For the two games he's played, he's at 4 goals above expected.  So even in the FLA game he was +1 goal saved above expected.  He lost but he certainly kept the Sabres within striking distance.

image.thumb.png.e4400c5e7276255b3652f19168f350ae.png

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I read after the game last night that Comrie saved 3 goals above expected.  For the two games he's played, he's at 4 goals above expected.  So even in the FLA game he was +1 goal saved above expected.  He lost but he certainly kept the Sabres within striking distance.

image.thumb.png.e4400c5e7276255b3652f19168f350ae.png

Which is keeping in line with his advanced stats from last year. Must feel good for the Sabres' front office to see.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Which is keeping in line with his advanced stats from last year. Must feel good for the Sabres' front office to see.

I get it:  Small sample size so far this year.  Let's see how he projects over a longer span of games.  But you bring up a good point in terms of being a continuation of last year's arc.  If he is who Adams thinks he is, that would be expected.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, shrader said:

And except for the Alphose & Gaston routine right before giving a gimme goal to Montador, he played great.

Put that more on Jokiharju than him.  

And 1 bad goal out of 37 shots isn't exactly worthy of breaking out pitchforks for.  Now, 0 bad goals on 48 shots.  Stone the witch!  (Burning them is soooo passe.)

It's obviously way too early to come to any conclusions, but I will say that Comrie seemed cool as a cucumber and very much in control last night.

As I've said previously, the biggest unknown that the Sabres need to go their way this year is for 2 out of Comrie, Anderson and UPL to deliver good NHL goaltending.  At this point I think it's fair to say that all 3 of those irons are still in the fire.

I wonder who starts tomorrow vs Calgary?

Well it won't be UPL....

I think it could be Comrie for two reasons:  1. Granato wants to see how he handles a starter's work load; and 2. Calgary is the toughest of the next three games.  Let Andy take one or both of Vancouver (who probably aren't as bad as their record tbh) and Seattle (who probably are worse than their record).

20 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Well it won't be UPL....

I think it could be Comrie for two reasons:  1. Granato wants to see how he handles a starter's work load; and 2. Calgary is the toughest of the next three games.  Let Andy take one or both of Vancouver (who probably aren't as bad as their record tbh) and Seattle (who probably are worse than their record).

Anderson’s play was spectacular against Ottawa. I don’t see why it should be too tough for him to take on the Flames. They should try to stick with 2 on for Comrie followed by 1 for Anderson. That would give Anderson 27 games and 55 for Comrie. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Comrie plays really well tracking the puck in butterfly and during chaos. But the book on him is shoot high. Still prefer that weakness than the lost and confused goalies we came from. 

Isn't that true for most goalies?

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

It's obviously way too early to come to any conclusions, but I will say that Comrie seemed cool as a cucumber and very much in control last night.

As I've said previously, the biggest unknown that the Sabres need to go their way this year is for 2 out of Comrie, Anderson and UPL to deliver good NHL goaltending.  At this point I think it's fair to say that all 3 of those irons are still in the fire.

I wonder who starts tomorrow vs Calgary?

I'm betting Andy.  The old man got some extra rest by playing Comrie back-to-back.

4 hours ago, kas23 said:

Anderson’s play was spectacular against Ottawa. I don’t see why it should be too tough for him to take on the Flames. They should try to stick with 2 on for Comrie followed by 1 for Anderson. That would give Anderson 27 games and 55 for Comrie. 

Yeah, it's not a strong opinion on my part.  Could go either way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.