Goaltending remains this organization’s biggest question mark.

GASabresIUFAN

On 10/19/2022 at 2:41 PM, Doohickie said:

I read after the game last night that Comrie saved 3 goals above expected.  For the two games he's played, he's at 4 goals above expected.  So even in the FLA game he was +1 goal saved above expected.  He lost but he certainly kept the Sabres within striking distance.

image.thumb.png.e4400c5e7276255b3652f19168f350ae.png

Exactly where he was last year...at least in goals saved above expected/60

9 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

This is a good start 

Funny enough, Comrie has a .946 on 5v5 SV%. He is bringing down Anderson's stats of .966. Anderson also has a higher GSAx per 60 at 5v5 than Comrie (.975 vs .967). Comrie's is higher for all situations.

On the eye test, I don't see anything wrong with Comrie's play, but if we look at his advanced stats, he's giving up a lot of rebounds. He's 10th of 63 goalies for rebounds above expected and 5th for rebounds per save. Interestingly, Anderson gave up zero rebounds in his first game, so his stats are pretty solid there to say the least.

Is Buffalo just aggressively clearing these rebounds? If so, that's very promising for UPL since one of his biggest issues is rebound control.

22 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Funny enough, Comrie has a .946 on 5v5 SV%. He is bringing down Anderson's stats of .966. Anderson also has a higher GSAx per 60 at 5v5 than Comrie (.975 vs .967). Comrie's is higher for all situations.

On the eye test, I don't see anything wrong with Comrie's play, but if we look at his advanced stats, he's giving up a lot of rebounds. He's 10th of 63 goalies for rebounds above expected and 5th for rebounds per save. Interestingly, Anderson gave up zero rebounds in his first game, so his stats are pretty solid there to say the least.

Is Buffalo just aggressively clearing these rebounds? If so, that's very promising for UPL since one of his biggest issues is rebound control.

My sense is that he's giving rebounds, sometimes quite juicy looking ones, but they are so close in that the opponents have no room to get it past him.  They jam it into his pads which seemingly are always in position.  I'm starting to think the high number of SOG are somewhat a factor of Comrie's style of play.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

My sense is that he's giving rebounds, sometimes quite juicy looking ones, but they are so close in that the opponents have no room to get it past him.  They jam it into his pads which seemingly are always in position.  I'm starting to think the high number of SOG are somewhat a factor of Comrie's style of play.

I think you might be right with this one.

It's why I said that that he's passing the eye test. It's just the only advanced stat that stands out to me as not really aligning well with what we're seeing.

1 hour ago, RochesterExpat said:

I think so. My buddy and I have been talking about how good the Sabres have looked doing this, so far.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman and Marek were discussing Comrie and apparently He was in High Demand amongst teams in UFA. The Sabres ability to offer a legit chance as a starter as well as the offering a Two Year Deal got it done 

The Murray deal falling through might be a gift horse in disguise. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

You may be right...Comrie is 10th worst so far in terms of Rebounds above expected/save

image.thumb.png.b0d47e2f59245b09a894363f42b859da.png

Edited by matter2003

33 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman and Marek were discussing Comrie and apparently He was in High Demand amongst teams in UFA. The Sabres ability to offer a legit chance as a starter as well as the offering a Two Year Deal got it done 

Sportsnet’s Goalie guru Kevin Woodley was on Vancouver radio today singing Comrie’s praises.

Said he’s completely biased because he’s worked with him and trained with him and is close to him.

Also said he has elite skating skills for a goalie and he’s been expecting a breakout from him for quite some time.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Sportsnet’s Goalie guru Kevin Woodley was on Vancouver radio today singing Comrie’s praises.

Said he’s completely biased because he’s worked with him and trained with him and is close to him.

Also said he has elite skating skills for a goalie and he’s been expecting a breakout from him for quite some time.

Nothing would make me happier than Comrie turning into a great starter because it would mean the Jets failed to maximize the asset 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The Murray deal falling through might be a gift horse in disguise. 

And not just by Savoie still being available at 8.

And not just because the Loafs seem to have foolishly believed Murray could be a savior.

Really, the only way it MIGHT not be is if the Sabres were planning on going after Comrie even w/ landing Murray and were pencilling in Murray as the 3/4 as it's possible he's better than Subban.

Having to go to their fallback plan, IF in fact Comrie was the fallback plan, just makes Murray's hubris a huge homerun for Adams.  (Even should Comrie falter back onto Hutton's track, the rest still makes it a solo dinger.)

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Ahhh, just think what might have been had KA grabbed Comrie when he was on waivers after helping the Devils beat the Sabres in his one start for the Devils last year.   

Ahh, just think what might have been had TM grabbed Draisaitl and Marner or Barzal with the 2nd overall draft picks.  ;)

At the time Comrie was put on waivers and reclaimed by the Jets who actually knew who he was having been in their system 2 previous times, the Sabres had both Ullmark (who was clearly claiming the starting role) and Hutton (who was good 50% of the time and dog meat the other 50%) healthy.  Were you really going to waive Hutton to the taxi squad to activate the Devils 4th goalie?  The Jets left him on the taxi squad for most of the rest of that season & only a handful of games for the Moose.

Comrie had not been good at the NHL level to that point, a single game giving up 3 goals to a (mildly at the time, soon to be majorly) dysfunctional Sabres team not withstanding.  There were other goalies that had been on waivers that appeared better on paper that they'd also passed on; at least 1 of which (the guy Carolina grabbed) that would've been clearly better than Hutton.  But Comrie wasn't a given then and the Jets were going to grab him as soon as the Sabres would've tried to put him on the taxi squad or in Ra-cha-cha.

Yeah, in hindsight would've been cool to grab him. But, in that extremely dysfunctional season, passing on him wouldn't even make the top 10 list of things they should've done differently.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Ahh, just think what might have been had TM grabbed Draisaitl and Marner or Barzal with the 2nd overall draft picks.  😉

At the time Comrie was put on waivers and reclaimed by the Jets who actually knew who he was having been in their system 2 previous times, the Sabres had both Ullmark (who was clearly claiming the starting role) and Hutton (who was good 50% of the time and dog meat the other 50%) healthy.  Were you really going to waive Hutton to the taxi squad to activate the Devils 4th goalie?  The Jets left him on the taxi squad for most of the rest of that season & only a handful of games for the Moose.

Comrie had not been good at the NHL level to that point, a single game giving up 3 goals to a (mildly at the time, soon to be majorly) dysfunctional Sabres team not withstanding.  There were other goalies that had been on waivers that appeared better on paper that they'd also passed on; at least 1 of which (the guy Carolina grabbed) that would've been clearly better than Hutton.  But Comrie wasn't a given then and the Jets were going to grab him as soon as the Sabres would've tried to put him on the taxi squad or in Ra-cha-cha.

Yeah, in hindsight would've been cool to grab him. But, in that extremely dysfunctional season, passing on him wouldn't even make the top 10 list of things they should've done differently.

Very well laid out.

Not saying GA is doing this but, 2nd guessing and hindsight evaluations, and glass half empty proclamations are fun! 😂

• Thanks (+1) 1

22 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

Depends on where those rebounds go. If they rebound off to the side, I don't care much, as opposed to the slot.

13 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Ahhh, just think what might have been had KA grabbed Comrie when he was on waivers after helping the Devils beat the Sabres in his one start for the Devils last year.   

Just think that if Winnipeg had played Comrie one more game he would have been an rfa.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Depends on where those rebounds go. If they rebound off to the side, I don't care much, as opposed to the slot.

Just think that if Winnipeg had played Comrie one more game he would have been an rfa.

My son-in-law is a Thrashers/Jets fan and he was losing his mind that they didn’t play him that one game to keep his rights.  Bad asset management to say the least.  Having watched some Jets games with him last season, it’s one of the reasons I wrote in May that Comrie could be a great value pick up for us.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, RochesterExpat said:

Agreed. I just saw that stat line and it didn’t sit with my eye test. I was curious if I was missing something someone else had seen.

I didn't stay up for the entire Calgary game but from what I've seen, there aren't a lot of out front rebounds. I also wonder how the count rebounds.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.