Do the Sabres lack size?

inkman

Do the Sabres need to add size?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Sabres need to add size?

• Yes size matters
    • No in todays game skill is what matters most
    • I don’t think it’s required but I’d like to see a few bigger bodies

So for the 3rd time this week, I’ve heard Paul Hamilton mention how the Sabres need to add size.  

Power 6’6”

Tage 6’7”

Dylan 6’3”

Dahlin 6’3”

Samuelsson 6’5”

Okposo 6’0 (plays bigger)

Zemgus 6’1”

Tuch 6’2”

Quinn 6’0

Mitts 6’1”

on the flip side

Skinner 5’10”

Olofsson 5’11”

Joki 5’11”

Krebs 5’11”

Peterka 5’11”

What say you?

Edited by inkman

The Sabres never lacked size really, they lacked heart/grit. Equating size with grit has and will forever be a problem on this board and in the media, especially for older guys like Hamilton.

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The Sabres never lacked size really, they lacked heart/grit. Equating size with grit has and will forever be a problem on this board and in the media, especially for older guys like Hamilton.

I couldn’t agree more 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You forgot Owen Power at 6'6" and Casey Mitts at 6'1"

also I will give someone a dollar if they tell JJ Peterka he is small. Guy doesn't play small and that's really the key.

Fixed the OP 

• Like (+1) 1

Some fans get blinded by height. More so if they are a defenseman. The evaluation of skill is skewed somewhat because they are a “taller” player. I could think of one poster possibly two that fall into this category. As far as comparing ourselves to other teams in the league … I would think the Sabres  are currently pretty much in the middle, if not leaning slightly towards a taller group.  

or is Size not Height?

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

is he really saying that? weird.

He’s said it as long as I can remember.  Maybe when Kane, Eichel and O’Reilly were here he took his foot off the pedal but otherwise he’s been saying it for decades. 

Sabres have historically had large bodied players that play smaller than they are (w/ notable exceptions like Gare & Peca who played way bigger than they were).

They don't lack size.  But could use some more guys w/ skill & speed that play big.  Show us a team that doesn't need more of that.

• Like (+1) 2

I said yes, we need to add size. Some of those guys you mention are big but don't throw their weight around. I don't need to have everyone destroying people every other play but I want guys who can take hits and keep on trucking. I have no problem picking up smaller skilled players as long as the whole team doesn't look like that.

• Like (+1) 1

I would really like to see this team play playoff hockey. That will tell us if the team has grit. Weed out those that can't handle it and add players that can. The Playoffs are the great Darwinian agent of change and we have not seen them go through that struggle yet. Hopefully this year 

Judge me by my size, Hamilton?

As all have noted, size is not the same as determination and grit. And we've had (and all teams do) our share of player who backed off when a confrontation might have resulted in a won puck battle, a forced turnover, a blocked shot, etc.

There were definitely times in the downward slide last season where the team played small and was small with lineups featuring the following: Bryson, Butcher, Joker, Olofsson (with only one hand), Asplund (defensively sound but not pugnacious), Eakin, Bjork, Skinner, Thompson (big, but not a bruiser), and Ruotsalainen. But as the team got healthier and Tuch inserted and led arguably by Dahlin...  they started collectively playing with more grit and assertiveness. Size is not the problem beyond getting some young players bulked up a bit...but that'll take care of itself in a couple seasons.

Edited by DarthEbriate

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.