Sabres Prospects 2022-2023

GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Really??? That's a crap rule.

Have never seen the agreement between the NHL & the CHL, but a reading of the CBA says NHL teams have to offer their 18 & 19 year old CHL signers to their CHL team before loaning them elsewhere.  And that is due to the CHL - NHL transfer agreement.

And the rule is in place to keep from watering down the CHL by moving guys that would be at the top of the CHL into the AHL.  CHL squads agreed to not force kids that are good enough for the NHL to stay in the junior ranks, but those guys that are too good for the CHL but not good enough for the NHL are stuck where they are.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 2/15/2023 at 6:55 AM, LGR4GM said:

I didn't love the Rosen pick either. This team could have Wolf and Wallstedt right now in the pipeline with virtually no loss to their prospect pool. It's why I dislike the Leinonen pick so much. 

Atleast Kulich was there when we picked that third 1st.  Otherwise it sounds like they were going to take Leinonen there.

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

Atleast Kulich was there when we picked that third 1st.  Otherwise it sounds like they were going to take Leinonen there.

That would have been a tough pill to swallow.

The first round has a chance to be special for them. Neuchev and Richard  look like they could have homerun potential if things go a certain way in development. Komarov looks like an interesting piece on the backend as potential depth.

Listening to Kris Baker, Leinonen seems to be dominant in his age group but no where ready for play in the Liiga men’s league.

I probably wouldn’t have taken him second round but I’m not down on an 18 year old big athletic goalie. We will see what he is at 22. 

The Sabres need to add some size up front and quality depth on the backend with their prospect pool. I would like to see them take a run  at a couple of the collegiate Dmen coming out as UFAs. Buffalo has got to be looked at as a destination for young dmen looking for opportunities.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I am thankful every day that the Czech league is underscouted because I had Kulich about 5 spots above Östlund. 

My consensus board had Kulich at 21 and Östlund at 23.  

The consensus board also had Östlund's teammates Lekkerimaki at 9 (drafted 15) and Ohgren at 17 (drafted 19), but Östlund has significantly outperformed them this season for Djurgardens.  

@freester and I were watching the draft together and I was yelling at the TV for us to draft Kulich when that 3rd 1st rd pick was getting set to be announced.  He, Kasper and Snuggerud were the 3 guys heading into the draft that really stood out to me that I felt would fall to us during the draft.   I wish we had drafted Snuggerud instead of Östlund.  Oh well.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

My consensus board had Kulich at 21 and Östlund at 23.  

The consensus board also had Östlund's teammates Lekkerimaki at 9 (drafted 15) and Ohgren at 17 (drafted 19), but Östlund has significantly outperformed them this season for Djurgardens.  

And he was much better at the WJCs then those 2 as well.

45 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

And i think he's been playing at a point per game rate since returning from the WJC.

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

I know this kid isn’t the fastest skater, but he plays a game we desperately need long-term.  I really liked him his draft year.  Baker really likes him as well and says he is working on his shot and his skating is improved.  

I’m excited for Him and Bloom to be in Rochester next year 

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I’m excited for Him and Bloom to be in Rochester next year 

That team will have a lot of prospects next year.

In Shawinigan Nadeau was a big net front presence on the PP, 17 of his 35 goals. He has 14 of 16 this year at even strength. I watched him in the playoffs last year and his short passes and his board work were good. I think he has a higher ceiling than Bloom, but Bloom is a good PKer who can score.

The story that isn't:  Johnson has not made a decision.  https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-ryan-johnson-plan-to-discuss-future-when-college-season-ends/article_48f3cd50-ac8c-11ed-b286-b73fe9f198c5.html

“I really like the Sabres, and I really like Buffalo,” Johnson explained. “It's crazy that this year is going really fast. Just gonna have to wait and see, too. And obviously, just focus where I am right now. That opportunity will be great when it comes.

“I think Buffalo, they do have great opportunities, and it's an excellent place to play. So, I don't think that will be a problem. It just going to be my decision and talking to their general manager to get their view.”

Either Lysowski didn't ask hard questions, or he didn't get answers to them, because this is the non-news Sabres story of the year.

Edited by Eleven
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The story that isn't:  Johnson has not made a decision.  https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-ryan-johnson-plan-to-discuss-future-when-college-season-ends/article_48f3cd50-ac8c-11ed-b286-b73fe9f198c5.html

“I really like the Sabres, and I really like Buffalo,” Johnson explained. “It's crazy that this year is going really fast. Just gonna have to wait and see, too. And obviously, just focus where I am right now. That opportunity will be great when it comes.

“I think Buffalo, they do have great opportunities, and it's an excellent place to play. So, I don't think that will be a problem. It just going to be my decision and talking to their general manager to get their view.”

Either Lysowski didn't ask hard questions, or he didn't get answers to them, because this is the non-news Sabres story of the year.

I've said this before so excuse me for the repetition: When he becomes a free agent and is able to scan the whole market there won't be a better situation for him from a playing time standpoint and opportunity to be on an upswinging team. In addition, if you look at this team's style of play the emphasis is on skating, a talent that he excels at. There is a need and fit. Odds are that Portillo won't be here while Johnson will be. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I've said this before so excuse me for the repetition: When he becomes a free agent and is able to scan the whole market there won't be a better situation for him from a playing time standpoint and opportunity to be on an upswinging team. In addition, if you look at this team's style of play the emphasis is on skating, a talent that he excels at. There is a need and fit. Odds are that Portillo won't be here while Johnson will be. 

You could be right but if im him buffalo is not on my list i would go out west and go home

I have no ties with Buffalo .

Thats just my perspective

Edited by Buffalonill

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.