Sabres Prospects 2022-2023

GASabresIUFAN

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm confused.  You want Östlund to be stuck in the SHL next season?  If I'm reading your post correctly, if Djurgardens returns to the SHL next season, Östlund can;t void his contract.  If they stay in the lower level Östlund can void his contract and join the Amerks.  Don't you think the Sabres would prefer Östlund to play in the AHL over the SHL?  Or do you think his contract would slide another year if he stays in Sweden and that is why you want him back in Sweden?

Point of clarification for those reading your post, whether Östlund is in the AHL or the SHL or any other non-NHL league, his contract will slide again next year.  Unless he plays 10+ NHL games, his contract is sliding again.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Point of clarification for those reading your post, whether Östlund is in the AHL or the SHL or any other non-NHL league, his contract will slide again next year.  Unless he plays 10+ NHL games, his contract is sliding again.

That’s fine but it doesn’t answer my question. Why would we want Östlund stuck in the SHL next season when he could possibly be in the AHL next year?

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That’s fine but it doesn’t answer my question. Why would we want Östlund stuck in the SHL next season when he could possibly be in the AHL next year?

Realize it doesn't answer your question.  That is for @LGR4GM to do as the question was specifically asked of him.

Was specific in explaining why the post you responded to was made.  A lot of people don't know the CBA particularly well (which is perfectly fine, there is nothing wrong w/ just being interested in the games & not the business side of things) and could very well have gotten the impression from your post that the contract would slide if he was in Europe but wouldn't if he was an Amerk.

47 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That’s fine but it doesn’t answer my question. Why would we want Östlund stuck in the SHL next season when he could possibly be in the AHL next year.

I wouldn’t consider him in the SHL as stuck. It is one level above where he is now, Allsvenskan. He is playing well but still needs to grow, Sweden may be the best place for him. Kulich and Rosen jumped the pond at 19 but not everyone may be ready for it.

I would like to see him in the AHL, but the SHL is a good place to develop. He will be a big part of their WJ team, so it may be important for him to stay close to home.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm confused.  You want Östlund to be stuck in the SHL next season?  If I'm reading your post correctly, if Djurgardens returns to the SHL next season, Östlund can;t void his contract.  If they stay in the lower level Östlund can void his contract and join the Amerks.  Don't you think the Sabres would prefer Östlund to play in the AHL over the SHL?  Or do you think his contract would slide another year if he stays in Sweden and that is why you want him back in Sweden?

I don't understand most of this. 

Stuck in the SHL is a odd take considering the SHL is on par with the AHL so no worry for anything there. Yes I would like to see Östlund's hard work pay off with his team being back in the SHL. That would be an accomplishment he helped with. 

I have no idea what the Sabres prefer but I would guess they aren't concerned with a 20yr old playing an SHL season. 

The contract slides another year unless he makes the NHL which is highly unlikely. Being in the SHL or AHL is not relevant to the contract sliding. 

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I answered this but it speaks of a misunderstanding of how good the SHL is. I don't need Östlund in the AHL if his team gets back to the SHL. I have no issue waiting another year and think Östlund helping his team move back into the SHL would be a good accomplishment. You continually using the term "stuck" is at odds with how we should look at it. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't understand most of this. 

Stuck in the SHL is a odd take considering the SHL is on par with the AHL so no worry for anything there. Yes I would like to see Östlund's hard work pay off with his team being back in the SHL. That would be an accomplishment he helped with. 

I have no idea what the Sabres prefer but I would guess they aren't concerned with a 20yr old playing an SHL season. 

The contract slides another year unless he makes the NHL which is highly unlikely. Being in the SHL or AHL is not relevant to the contract sliding. 

I answered this but it speaks of a misunderstanding of how good the SHL is. I don't need Östlund in the AHL if his team gets back to the SHL. I have no issue waiting another year and think Östlund helping his team move back into the SHL would be a good accomplishment. You continually using the term "stuck" is at odds with how we should look at it. 

I believe KA would like him here asap.  So far every Euro he drafted who was eligible to come over has, such as Kulich, Rosen, and Kisakov.  KA wants his guys in NA learning the Sabres' system.  He also brought Kozak into the AHL when he became eligible when he could have easily had him return to the CHL for another year.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I believe KA would like him here asap.  So far every Euro he drafted who was eligible to come over has, such as Kulich, Rosen, and Kisakov.  KA wants his guys in NA learning the Sabres' system.  He also brought Kozak into the AHL when he became eligible when he could have easily had him return to the CHL for another year.  

Yes but it is a level of competition with all the listed players. Kulich was in the czech league, the AHL is a step above. Rosen was getting little opportunity with his SHL team which is part of the reason they wanted him out of there. Kisakov is Russian and the politics are important for that. Kozak didnt need to go back to the CHL so he didn't. 

Östlund is different because his team is playing him and is developing him. That would continue if they went back to the SHL. Honestly at the end of the day I don't care that much if Östlund is in the SHL or AHL next year, I think both are fine. 

Latest CHL rankings are out.

The Sabres have players on 5 of the top 10 teams. These guys should get deep playoff runs and a few may get to the Memorial Cup.

Komarov   #1 Quebec Remparts

Savoie    #2 Winnipeg Ice

Bloom    #8 North Bay Battalion

Lindgren   #9 Red Deer Rebels

Nadeau   #10 Gatineau Olympiques

image.thumb.jpeg.96d63c72a8bb1047530bb9b6833fd672.jpeg

Edited by French Collection

https://theathletic.com/4163836/2023/02/13/top-nhl-prospects-2023-logan-cooley/

Wheeler’s top 50 drafted non-goalie prospects.  Savoie 10, Kulich 26, Östlund 44 and Rosen HM.  Wheeler likes Savoie’s speed and shot.  He loves Kulich’s ability to play any role given to him and his NHL shot. Like Östlund skating and two-way game, but needs to add more strength as he moves up.

No team has more than 4 players in his top 50, (CBJ and Minn). Sabres and Habs w 3 each.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Devon Levi and Northeastern are playing vs Harvard for the Beanpot championship.

I don’t follow the NCAA closely but a win tonight should help them be considered for the Frozen Four? Rankings get teams into the NCAA playoffs right?

Levi owes them for that 8-4 beatdown Harvard administered last month. 

21 hours ago, French Collection said:

Devon Levi and Northeastern are playing vs Harvard for the Beanpot championship.

I don’t follow the NCAA closely but a win tonight should help them be considered for the Frozen Four? Rankings get teams into the NCAA playoffs right?

They use a ranking called the PWR (pairwise ranking) do determine seeding.  They're right on the bubble right now, tied for the last team in.  This thing updates with every single game played, including the conference tournaments, so there's still a lot of changes incoming. 

On 2/13/2023 at 12:28 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://theathletic.com/4163836/2023/02/13/top-nhl-prospects-2023-logan-cooley/

Wheeler’s top 50 drafted non-goalie prospects.  Savoie 10, Kulich 26, Östlund 44 and Rosen HM.  Wheeler likes Savoie’s speed and shot.  He loves Kulich’s ability to play any role given to him and his NHL shot. Like Östlund skating and two-way game, but needs to add more strength as he moves up.

No team has more than 4 players in his top 50, (CBJ and Minn). Sabres and Habs w 3 each.

10. Matt Savoie, C/RW, 18 (Buffalo Sabres — No. 9, 2022)
July 2022 rank: No. 9 (change: -1)

Savoie’s game has the potential to thrill. He’s got extremely quick side-to-side hands that help him beat defenders one-on-one off of cuts. He’s got an NHL shot (which he can place with pinpoint accuracy from a bad angle and rip by a goalie clean from a distance, but he also loves to change up and slide five-hole). He does an excellent job creating plays to the slot out of traffic. He’s a burning skater with explosiveness and quick three-step acceleration that allows him to win races, separate in transition, and put defenders onto their heels, or dash through holes in coverage to the net (or draw a penalty). He’s a soft small-area passer who blends deception into his movements.

And then on top of those things, he’s got a bit of a chip on his shoulder. He’s always engaged, he keeps his feet moving, he plays with a ton of energy, and he finishes all of his checks and knocks his fair share of players over despite being on the smaller side. He’s also sturdier on his feet than his listed height (5-foot-9) might suggest, which helps him play between checks.

He hasn’t exploded offensively like some (myself included) maybe expected this season with the Ice, but some of that has to do with how balanced their team is up front (if they aren’t the Memorial Cup favorites, they’re close). I still see a dynamic, high-tempo, top-six, goal-creating package. He’s an exciting talent, with clear PP1 upside due to his shooting/skill package and clear five-on-five upside because of his skating and motor. Even in games where the points don’t fall, he’s almost always dangerous and threatening on the ice — and he’s seldom going to leave you wanting more. Because of the way he plays, I think he’s got a chance to stick at his natural center position in the NHL, too. His speed might even make him a useful penalty killer to give him all-situations value as well. I expect him to rise to the occasion on a deep playoff run and I’m looking forward to watching him as a big part of Team Canada at the 2024 world juniors in Gothenburg.

Here's the write-up on Savoie

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Wheeler’s top 10 drafted goalies

https://theathletic.com/4168862/2023/02/14/top-nhl-goalie-prospects-2023-jesper-wallstedt/

Devon Levi 4th

Portillo and UPL Honorable Mention.

4. Devon Levi, G, 21 (Buffalo Sabres — No. 212, 2020)
July 2022 rank: No. 5 (change: +1)

Levi had a season for the ages at Northeastern last year, posting a .952 save percentage across 32 games and winning both the Mike Richter Award as college hockey’s top goalie and the Tim Taylor Award as its top rookie. His journey from the CCHL to the world juniors and then the Olympics all during the pandemic was one of the best stories in hockey. He has been superb in his return to Northeastern behind a lesser Huskies team as a sophomore this year, too.

He has exactly the skills smaller goalies need to be successful. Impressive control on his outside edges (and the patience to hold them), quick feet on his shuffles so that he can stick with dekes and go post-to-post or low-to-high to get to tough pucks, perfect reads on shooters, excellent tracking through and under traffic, and a battler’s mentality in the net which keeps him in plays even when he looks like he’s down and out on his knees. There aren’t a ton of 6-foot goalies in today’s NHL, at least not starting ones, but Levi, like Calgary’s Dustin Wolf, has all of the tools to become one. I’m a believer.

Here's the write-up on Levi

• Thanks (+1) 1

Kulich write-up

26. Jiri Kulich, LW/RW, 18 (Buffalo Sabres — No. 28, 2022)
July 2022 rank: Not ranked

Kulich is a sturdy, driven player who can morph his game to his role. He can function as the detail-oriented, above-puck defender who makes quick plays and stays on pucks. He can play off of talented linemates to free his dangerous shooting arsenal up. Or he can carry the puck and function as the primary handler on a line. I like his positioning off the puck. I like the strength, balance and control of his skating stride. I like how quickly and hard shots come off of his stick (not just with his world-class one-timer but through a deceptive early release point in stride too).

He’s got quick hands and flashes skill with the puck on a string one-on-one and under the triangles of defenders’ sticks. He’s got good feel around the net. He plays hard. His skating is noticeable off the puck in his ability to pursue and recapture possession to extend sequences. The ice tends to tilt in his favor when he’s on it. He stays over pucks and protects them extremely well. He supports play well. There’s a lot to like about his makeup. He just looks like a pro — and has played like one as an 18-year-old in the AHL this year. I have no doubt at this point that he’s going to be an NHLer — and maybe a very good one.

Östlund write-up

44. Noah Östlund, C, 18 (Buffalo Sabres — No. 16, 2022)
July 2022 rank: Not ranked

Östlund’s calling card is his airy, agile skating stride, excellent hands, cleverness, and two-way ability. The skating and defensive aptitude (including on faceoffs) make him an able penalty killer and the rest give him clear tools of creation at five-on-five and on the power play. He wins a ton of short races, creates quickly as soon as he’s in possession, and darts around the ice in control to get into scoring areas or facilitate from the perimeter. His lack of size and strength are definitely going to be impediments as he progresses up levels, but he’s got the benefit of time, his skating, and the fondness coaches have for him to fall back on.

He’s silky smooth in possession and a superb puck transporter through neutral ice. He’s got a slippery quality that few players have, the puck just sticks to him in tight coverage, and he is a catalyst on his line in a variety of ways. He’s a nifty little player. Some scouts worry about whether he’ll be able to get to the inside/hold his own physically along the wall in the NHL (he has never scored a ton) but his approach and skating should help mitigate against that. I like him a lot. The flow. The work ethic. The ability to hang onto it or play in quick give-and-goes. His stick on steals. The changes of directions and cutbacks. There’s a lot to like.

He has been the most productive of the trio of first-round picks playing with Djurgarden this year, too. I’ll be interested to see what he does next year because he has another year on his deal with Djurgarden after this one but it has an out built in if they aren’t promoted back to the SHL from HockeyAllsvenskan.

Quick note:  Djurgarden is currently 5th on the Allsvenskan standings with 80 points and have won 4 straight.  Modo leads with 91 points.  4 teams from this league will compete with the bottom 2 teams from the SHL in a round robin to determine who goes up to the SHL for the following season.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Wheeler’s top 10 drafted goalies

https://theathletic.com/4168862/2023/02/14/top-nhl-goalie-prospects-2023-jesper-wallstedt/

Devon Levi 4th

Portillo and UPL Honorable Mention.

I was screaming my head off when we drafted Rosen over Wallstedt.  I thought the whole reason we traded for that pick was to take him. 

14 hours ago, Mr. Allen said:

I was screaming my head off when we drafted Rosen over Wallstedt.  I thought the whole reason we traded for that pick was to take him. 

I didn't love the Rosen pick either. This team could have Wolf and Wallstedt right now in the pipeline with virtually no loss to their prospect pool. It's why I dislike the Leinonen pick so much. 

20 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He’s so done with that league. Next season might present a bit of a pickle re: where he plays 

Yeah, he would benefit from the AHL. Should get a 9game look.
I love and attend a lot of CHL games so it’s nice to see these prospects, but it’s not always the best place to grow.

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He’s so done with that league. Next season might present a bit of a pickle re: where he plays 

Maybe they loan him to the SHL for next year if he doesn't make the Sabres out of camp?  The SHL is arguably the 3rd or 4th best league in the world.  I'm not sure a team has lent a prospect under contract to a Euro team, but I don't see why it can't happen.  I remember Matthews went and played in Switerland his draft year to play against men that season instead or going to college or the CHL for a year.  Why wouldn't that solution work for Savoie?

If Djuragardens gets back to the SHL next year, why not send Savoie to play with Östlund?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Maybe they loan him to the SHL for next year if he doesn't make the Sabres out of camp?  The SHL is arguably the 3rd or 4th best league in the world.  I'm not sure a team has lent a prospect under contract to a Euro team, but I don't see why it can't happen.  I remember Matthews went and played in Switerland his draft year to play against men that season instead or going to college or the CHL for a year.  Why wouldn't that solution work for Savoie?

If Djuragardens gets back to the SHL next year, why not send Savoie to play with Östlund?

He HAS to be offered to his CHL team by the Sabres 1st before getting loaned anywhere else.  If the Ice aren't going to let him be an Amerk, why would he get to play in Sweden?

Matthews got to play on Switzerland because he wasn't under contract to play anywhere else.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

He HAS to be offered to his CHL team by the Sabres 1st before getting loaned anywhere else.  If the Ice aren't going to let him be an Amerk, why would he get to play in Sweden?

Matthews got to play on Switzerland because he wasn't under contract to play anywhere else.

Really??? That's a crap rule.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.