Sabres Prospects 2022-2023

GASabresIUFAN

3 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Rosen just 6 goals in 40 games 

He is so young I'm not worried. Normally takes about a half a season for really young guys to adjust to the AHL.

Quinn, Mitts, and a lot of other young players need the first 20-30 games at least in the AHL to adjust befoe they start playing better...if not a full year in the AHL.

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

JJP at 19 put up 80 pts in AHL 80 games last season including playoffs.  Rosen has 21 in 40.  

I think you're right that JJP will be a better player then Rosen but i don't think it's fair to show their AHL stats. As of January 1st, Rosen has 3 goals and at the same time last season JJP had 4. JJP just went off in the second half of the season and Rosen hasn't. Last years team was better this the current one. But Rosen was hurt last year and when he wasn't he didn't play all that much. JJP came to Rochester after playing in pro leagues in Austria and Germany.

Because of his thin frame, Rosen mostly plays the perimeter game.

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Which prospects are you willing to give up in trade?  To me the only untradeable prospects are Kulich and Levi.  After that I'm willing to part with Rosen and either Östlund or Savoie, but not both.  To part with either it would have to be a young player with term.

I don’t think Adams is planning on giving up any of them. If he can find a dman that can fit in long term he will look at it but I don’t think he intends to give prospects away for short term fixes. 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Which prospects are you willing to give up in trade?  To me the only untradeable prospects are Kulich and Levi.  After that I'm willing to part with Rosen and either Östlund or Savoie, but not both.  To part with either it would have to be a young player with term.

It's going to take a hell of a offer to convince the Sabres to offer up Savoie. Someone in the Meier tier. Can't say i see that happening.

33 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I don’t think Adams is planning on giving up any of them. If he can find a dman that can fit in long term he will look at it but I don’t think he intends to give prospects away for short term fixes. 

24 minutes ago, Two or less said:

It's going to take a hell of a offer to convince the Sabres to offer up Savoie. Someone in the Meier tier. Can't say i see that happening.

Sad to say, but there isn't really enough roster spots for all our current legit forward prospects

1st Rd prospects - Savoie, Kulich, Östlund and Rosen

2nd Rd prospects - Kisakov, Poltapov

3rd & 4th rd legit prospects - Bloom, Nadeau, Neuchev

Others - Cederqvist, Kozak, Rousek, Marjala, Huglen, Weissbach, and Richard.

There are also others than may emerge.  That's alot of depth and quality.  At some point some of them will be moved for players, more picks or prospects.  

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sad to say, but there isn't really enough roster spots for all our current legit forward prospects

1st Rd prospects - Savoie, Kulich, Östlund and Rosen

2nd Rd prospects - Kisakov, Poltapov

3rd & 4th rd legit prospects - Bloom, Nadeau, Neuchev

Others - Cederqvist, Kozak, Rousek, Marjala, Huglen, Weissbach, and Richard.

There are also others than may emerge.  That's alot of depth and quality.  At some point some of them will be moved for players, more picks or prospects.  

I don't disagree with you, there will be trades made. But i think time is still on the Sabres side. Kisakov looks far away. So does Rosen. Östlund is playing in the second tier of Swedish hockey, not sure if they keep him there next season or bring him to Rochester? Poltapov is years away. Bloom and Nadeau will join the Amerks after their CHL seasons are over and next season will be rookies, so too early to tell.

What will the Sabres do with Savoie is what im wondering, he isn't eligible for the AHL but i don't think returning to Winnipeg Ice makes sense for his development either?

• Like (+1) 1

Here is some good news guys and gals.  According to the Athletic’s Corey Pronman “I’ve heard Ryan Johnson will probably sign with Buffalo too.”

https://theathletic.com/4213022/2023/02/21/college-chl-european-hockey-free-agents/

This article focuses on College and Euro FAs.  I’m still very interested in signing Jake Livingstone, a 6-3 RHD from Minn St.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Here is some good news guys and gals.  According to the Athletic’s Corey Pronman “I’ve heard Ryan Johnson will probably sign with Buffalo too.”

https://theathletic.com/4213022/2023/02/21/college-chl-european-hockey-free-agents/

This article focuses on College and Euro FAs.  I’m still very interested in signing Jake Livingstone, a 6-3 RHD from Minn St.

That would be amazing news.  Thanks for sharing.

34 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

💩 now we don’t get the epic meltdowns about Johnson signing somewhere else, the “I told you so” posts some have had saved for 6 months now, the “this is why you never draft a college player” posts. Fingers crossed that he changes his mind and goes somewhere else.😛

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Credit to KA for staying in touch with him and being patient.

I don’t think his ceiling is very high but he can help this team solidify the bottom pairing and depth issues. He may even get some games this year as part of a signing agreement.

He may end up as a partner for either Dahlin or Power at some point. He seems like a good skater that can play a defensive game.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m very glad about the Johnson news.  If I had to guess he looked at the mess we have on D after the top 3 and thought to himself he can beat out those guys.  He’s probably right.

I also wouldn't look past the perception this team has right now of being on the rise.  He hasn't been here on a daily basis, but he's been in the organization for 4 years and is a part of that rise.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/19/2023 at 11:42 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

How come Kulich is untradeable for you and not Savoie? 

• Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, NAF said:

How come Kulich is untradeable for you and not Savoie? 

Great question.  I look at how the forward group is constructed and I see a greater need for Kulich’s skill set vs Savoie.  I view Kulich as a Jack of All Trades who can fill any role the Sabres need played.  Savoie may have more upside offensively, but I really view him as Skinner 2.0. I also believe that Kulich is the closest to NHL ready of the 3 1sts from last year.  Depending on what happens in Europe, both Savoie and Östlund may not be eligible for even AHL duty next season.  I expect Kulich to push for an NHL job as early as next season.

I also wrote that I’d trade one of Savoie or Östlund but not both and it would have to be an awesome deal to get either.  I think the term I used was good young player with term.  

• Agree 1

“Sabres prospect Matt Savoie ‘just scratching the surface’ as he finds another gear”

So Savoie is refining his game here in Winnipeg under the guidance of Patrick, who played more than 1,200 NHL games and more than 300 of those with the Sabres. After a 90-point season a year ago, he’s scoring at a similar rate this season. The production wasn’t there early in the year, but Patrick thinks Savoie has found a different gear since the new year.

“I haven’t seen any better (in the WHL),” Patrick said. “I know (Connor) Bedard has been on a tear since he got back from world juniors. Next to him, I haven’t seen a better player than Sav.”

What stands out to Patrick is the way Savoie can shut down another team’s top line. Sabres general manager Kevyn Adams has referred to the competitiveness with which Savoie plays, and that’s been on display for the Ice. Patrick routinely uses him to take away the best player on another team and likes having him on the penalty kill.

“I felt in the first half of the year he would get a point or two a game,” Patrick said. “He’d make one real good play, a top-end play, but I think he should be making seven or eight of them a game. I know he had a game this year where he got six points. I had kind of been waiting for that type of game up until that point. I don’t know if that was a turning point because I know the next night he had a tough night. But I know he’s just pushing himself to be a dominant player. He’s not content. He’s not happy with where he’s at. He wants to get better, but his confidence has gone to another level right now.”

This boost in confidence and production coincided with Savoie being left off Canada’s roster for the World Junior Championship. Savoie wasn’t even invited to the selection camp.

“I don’t know how he doesn’t get invited to the camp,” Patrick said. “They made the right decision because in the end they won. I think they said these six or seven guys are going to be our offensive guys and then we’re picking checkers and energy guys and penalty killers. And that’s how they put the team together. Is he better than players who are on that team? Yes. It’s not even close. I think he’s used that rejection in his favor. It’s motivated him to be as good as he has.”

Savoie watched the tournament from home to cheer on his friends who were on the team and support his country. But he also acknowledged that he’s been driven to further show that he is every bit as good, if not better, than players who were picked for that team. He has 13 goals and 15 assists in the 18 games since the calendar flipped to 2023.

“I think the biggest thing is just possessing the puck more, having the puck on my stick and making them come take it off of me instead of throwing a blind pass in the middle or just making a turnover,” Savoie said. “I think at the next level, keeping puck possession is so important. When you first enter the NHL or AHL, wherever it is, you don’t get as many puck touches. I think making the most of whenever you have the puck and whenever you have possession.”

Savoie noted he’s started to feel the impact of all the time spent in the gym getting stronger. After spending most of the summer rehabbing a shoulder injury, he didn’t have the time to build as much muscle as he would have with a healthy summer. Patrick said he wants to see Savoie continue to build his stamina so that he can continue to make plays when he’s been on the ice 30 or 40 seconds.

“When he’s exhausted can he still make plays?” Patrick said. “You look at the great players, they do that.”

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.