NHL Playoffs 2022 - Rnd 1

SwampD

32 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Given that Twitter handle I'd sure like to know Matthews/Mariners/Tavares playoff stats

Ha. I had actually gone looking for the Quote Retweet that @draglikepull had, in which they were sort of scratching their chin in contemplation of the mystery presented by "ahh, you can't win with that guy" type takes. And then I found this:

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Given that Twitter handle I'd sure like to know Matthews/Mariners/Tavares playoff stats

Most players stats are worse in the tighter checking playoffs but there are some great playoff performers who continue at the same level or better their numbers in a Conn Smythe consideration post season.

None of these Leafs have raised their games in the playoffs.

Tavares .94 ppg career regular season, .78 ppg career playoffs, .58 ppg with Leafs.

Nylander .78 ppg regular season, .69 playoffs.

Marner 1.07 ppg regular season, .86 playoffs

Matthews 1.12 ppg regular season, .83 playoffs.

4 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Most players stats are worse in the tighter checking playoffs but there are some great playoff performers who continue at the same level or better their numbers in a Conn Smythe consideration post season.

None of these Leafs have raised their games in the playoffs.

Tavares .94 ppg career regular season, .78 ppg career playoffs, .58 ppg with Leafs.

Nylander .78 ppg regular season, .69 playoffs.

Marner 1.07 ppg regular season, .86 playoffs

Matthews 1.12 ppg regular season, .83 playoffs.

Remember that, on average, players' PPG goes down about 15% in the playoffs.  Anything up to 20% is normal.

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Don't know why you don't get what I said. Probably because it's easier for you to ignore my point to continue hocking yours. There was a reason a mentioned Dalton Smith, why can't you get that?

You like to over exaggerate your points and push extremes. I've always talked about a balanced line up, but if I mention the word size or physicality at all you will snipe at it to try to make your point. Way it's been since I got here, and I imagine it's the way you will always be. 

6 hours ago, Curt said:

He didn’t say that physicality or toughness or grit isn’t needed.  The point was that even if Nash is a little more physical than Col (are they?), the Avs are obviously ridiculously more talented, so picking Nash to win because of toughness was silly.

He's been saying it for years, but whatever. I personally thought (before losing Saros) that they would make it a tough series and put up a good fight. They did play them close and beat them in the regular season but they've been trailing off last part of the year and without Saros they really didn't bring their A game. I thought it would take 6 or 7. Seems Washington Florida is that series instead. 

20 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You like to over exaggerate your points and push extremes. I've always talked about a balanced line up, but if I mention the word size or physicality at all you will snipe at it to try to make your point. Way it's been since I got here, and I imagine it's the way you will always be. 

And you love to get personal and attack posters when you're wrong so here we are. The series wasn't close and was never going to be close. 

Funny, after Buffalo added Risto, Regehr, Ott , Scott, handful of other "tough" guys with grit the solution ended up being adding talent with grit. And for the record, size doesn't equal toughness which has been and will continue to be my line as it is perpetually proven to be true. Toughness to me means heart.

Btw, there are 2 Dalton Smith threads that have posters, not saying you, but ppl advocating for him because his toughness is what we need. I listened to 7 years of ppl saying Ristos "toughness" was what we needed. No, we needed good hockey players who give a crap. That's how you get talented grit and win. 

21 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

He's been saying it for years, but whatever. I personally thought (before losing Saros) that they would make it a tough series and put up a good fight. They did play them close and beat them in the regular season but they've been trailing off last part of the year and without Saros they really didn't bring their A game. I thought it would take 6 or 7. Seems Washington Florida is that series instead. 

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

Get over your holier than thou bs. As if you aren't doing just that. If you cared to notice, i have agreed with everything you said, but using Dalton Smith as an example of why you are right was and will always be a stupid argument. 

There are better ways to make your point than going to the extreme. Hey, I heard little guys can be good in the NHL because there was this one little guy who was really good, you may have heard of him, Martin St Louis.

Ok. Rasmus Ristolainen for years was loved for his toughness even though he's not a very good hockey player. 

43 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Remember that, on average, players' PPG goes down about 15% in the playoffs.  Anything up to 20% is normal.

I had a look at the top 100 playoff scorers to try and find some whose playoff stats are better than their career stats. I listed them by greatest difference between playoffs and regular season.

Briere .94 playoffs vs .72 regular season

Messier 1.25  vs 1.07 

Linseman 1.06 vs .94

Couture .87 vs .75

Pronger .70 vs .60

Getzlaf .96 vs .88

Gilmour 1.03 vs .96

Kurri 1.17 vs 1.12

Krejci .80 vs .76

Perreault 1.14 vs 1.11

Toews .87 vs .84

Kucherov 1.13 vs 1.10

Fedorov .96 vs .94

Beliveau 1.09 vs 1.08

• Thanks (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I had a look at the top 100 playoff scorers to try and find some whose playoff stats are better than their career stats. I listed them by greatest difference between playoffs and regular season.

Briere .94 playoffs vs .72 regular season

Messier 1.25  vs 1.07 

Linseman 1.06 vs .94

Couture .87 vs .75

Pronger .70 vs .60

Getzlaf .96 vs .88

Gilmour 1.03 vs .96

Kurri 1.17 vs 1.12

Krejci .80 vs .76

Perreault 1.14 vs 1.11

Toews .87 vs .84

Kucherov 1.13 vs 1.10

Fedorov .96 vs .94

Beliveau 1.09 vs 1.08

Two Sabres on that list.

There is definitely a section of the fan base that think a players height of over 6’ 3” means they can and will play a “tougher” game. No doubt. It’s just an ignorant mindset IMO. 
I think we all see the “oh he’s 6’4”? And he plays D? Oh god I hope the Sabres get him. He can clear the front of the net and add grit” comments.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

There is definitely a section of the fan base that think a players height of over 6’ 3” means they can and will play a “tougher” game. No doubt. It’s just an ignorant mindset IMO. 
I think we all see the “oh he’s 6’4”? And he plays D? Oh god I hope the Sabres get him. He can clear the front of the net and add grit” comments.

Agreed I want a defender who can skate, has some nasty and if they are 6'4" all the better... but first and foremost can play and has good hockey sense

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Agreed I want a defender who can skate, has some nasty and if they are 6'4" all the better... but first and foremost can play and has good hockey sense

I don't care if he's 4'2" if he can negate would-be deflections, box out would-be screens and block shots, and punt an opponent into next week they take a late hack at my goalie's glove after the save is made.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

And you love to get personal and attack posters when you're wrong so here we are. The series wasn't close and was never going to be close. 

Funny, after Buffalo added Risto, Regehr, Ott , Scott, handful of other "tough" guys with grit the solution ended up being adding talent with grit. And for the record, size doesn't equal toughness which has been and will continue to be my line as it is perpetually proven to be true. Toughness to me means heart.

Btw, there are 2 Dalton Smith threads that have posters, not saying you, but ppl advocating for him because his toughness is what we need. I listened to 7 years of ppl saying Ristos "toughness" was what we needed. No, we needed good hockey players who give a crap. That's how you get talented grit and win. 

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

Always resorting to the dull boring memes, and you wonder why I find your arguments tiresome and repetitive. 

I think you've forgotten the last good roster we had and you've definitely forgotten the Peca.May, Barnaby and even Rob Ray years. 

So ridiculous to make an argument where you think anybody would be against "talented grit". Just silly. 

23 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Always resorting to the dull boring memes, and you wonder why I find your arguments tiresome and repetitive. 

I think you've forgotten the last good roster we had and you've definitely forgotten the Peca.May, Barnaby and even Rob Ray years. 

So ridiculous to make an argument where you think anybody would be against "talented grit". Just silly. 

Don’t you think the game has opened up a bit since those days? What team is comparable to that in the playoffs in 2022?

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I remember the may, ray, and Barnaby days. The team was dogshit. If not for having the greatest goalie in history that team would have contended for last every year. Even in the height of the Dead puck era

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, drnkirishone said:

I remember the may, ray, and Barnaby days. The team was dogshit. If not for having the greatest goalie in history that team would have contended for last every year. Even in the height of the Dead puck era

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/roster/1997

😂

Hey, some fans want to cling onto the days of yesteryear …. of 24 years ago 😂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.