Update 2: Mike Bossy passes away from cancer

SDS

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

And we drafted Ric Seiling instead of him.

And Ric will remind you of that in every Amerks broadcast 

Bossy was great. I got to watch his prime years. 

Goaltending back then. Well that was something else entirely. 

Edited by Norcal
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SDS said:

This is completely awful. He’s the guy that hooked me on hockey at a young age. I got into the sport during the height of the Islander dynasty and to me he was the best player on the ice. That’s why I chose 22 for my beer league.

I know he doesn’t fit the bill for other peoples visions of an ideal hockey player, but for me, he was just a guy who went out there and scored goals like nobody’s business with a great name. This is just awful.

Maybe the best goalscorer ever. Lethal shot. I remember being at the Aud for his for ever career goal.

5 hours ago, Norcal said:

And Ric will remind you of that in every Amerks broadcast 

Bossy was great. I got to watch his prime years. 

Goaltending back then. Well that was something else entirely. 

Ric was a very good player.  Bossy was a Hall of Fame player.  

The Sabres knew Bossy was the BPA but the felt like they needed a two way player more than another scorer at the time. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, SDS said:

This is completely awful. He’s the guy that hooked me on hockey at a young age. I got into the sport during the height of the Islander dynasty and to me he was the best player on the ice. That’s why I chose 22 for my beer league.

I know he doesn’t fit the bill for other peoples visions of an ideal hockey player, but for me, he was just a guy who went out there and scored goals like nobody’s business with a great name. This is just awful.

He was a marvel. Extraordinary. -I think one of the all time greats. Back problems shortened his career.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, calti said:

He was a marvel. Extraordinary. -I think one of the all time greats. Back problems shortened his career.

It was actually a knee problem that started it. Read his letter to his younger self I posted earlier. He hurt his knee when he was younger and it never healed properly. He implied that overtime that led to his back problems.

• Like (+1) 1

Did we ever get confirmation on this?

13 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Just saw an announcement on hfboards that he passed away.

Aside: like SDS, the founders of hfboards are expatriate Buffalonians and are still Sabres fans.

Specifically this report seems to be in question 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Did we ever get confirmation on this?

Specifically this report seems to be in question 

Lots of people criticizing the report that’s been removed. This is the only affirmative tweet that I saw since yesterday:

I took it from a Bob McKenzie, I think - it was one of those national dudes, retweet.

• SDS changed the title to Mike Bossy resting peacefully at home
  • SDS changed the title to Update: Mike Bossy resting peacefully at home
2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Twitter is ***** trash. I don’t know why anyone follows it. 

Twitter is just a platform. It’s as good as the people you choose to read. I took this from serious journalists who have blue checkmarks. This should not have happened, though.

10 minutes ago, SDS said:

Twitter is just a platform. It’s as good as the people you choose to read. I took this from serious journalists who have blue checkmarks. This should not have happened, though.

I’ve been hearing this for years. Yet, everything has had to be confirmed through traditional routes before it could be confirmed anyway. You don’t find out anything any quicker with any certainty than if there was no Twitter. Most of the time it just adds noise.

As a pastime to see some funny or interesting stuff, sure. But as a source of news, meh.

Just my opinion, of course.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I’ve been hearing this for years. Yet, everything has had to be confirmed through traditional routes before it could be confirmed anyway. You don’t find out anything any quicker with any certainty than if there was no Twitter. Most of the time it just adds noise.

As a pastime to see some funny or interesting stuff, sure. But as a source of news, meh.

Just my opinion, of course.

I really don’t see how someone comes to that conclusion. If Elliot Friedman calls Kyle Okposo and Kyle says he is retiring at the end of the season and then Elliott immediately reports that on Twitter. How does that remotely relate to what you’re saying? 

Serious people use that platform all the time to alert people of current news.

You’re disregarding the thousands to millions of tweets from serious people that are true, to focus on the  relatively few that turn out to be false. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.