Would You Consider Trading the Sabres First Round Pick and a Prospect for Connor Hellebuyck?

Brawndo

I would need to survey every possible goalie that is available for trade and in the RFA/UFA market first, but off hand I say do not trade our top 10 pick.  

With the top 10 pick I want another skater, the BPA.  Gotta keep Rochester stocked with Quinn and JJP likely coming up.  The farm pipeline needs to be more than one season deep.  

Offer UPL and the Florida pick and I would say yes.  That gives us a fine goalie now, and Levi/ Portillo get 2 seasons to develop when Hellebuyck becomes a UFA  

3 hours ago, tom webster said:

I do that all day. Three prospects are but the likelihood is that one turns into a Ryan Miller, one into a Martin Biron and one into Mika Noronnen. 
If the cap really isn’t skyrocketing till 2025/2026, Buffalo will be one of few teams that will be able to pay if said goalie id worth the extension 

Ummm, yes please? I would as happy as a pig in ***** if that happened. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Ummm, yes please? I would as happy as a pig in ***** if that happened. 

But you want to hang onto all three for the time being since you don't know which one is Ryan and which one is Mika.  If we end up with Mika and Marty and another team ends up with the Ryan Miller goalie I'd be pissed.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

This is something Darcy would do... trying the quick fix route, which rarely works out.

So, no.

You mean TM.  

Darcy was definitely a deal maker but his drafting and development was a critical part of his success until video scouting.  Teppo, Connolly, Lydman, Briere, Hecht and Drury may have come from trades or signing of UFAs, but Miller, Biron, Roy, Pommers, Vanek, Stafford, Max, Kotalik, McKee, Campbell, Gaustad, Stafford, Kalinin and Tallinder were all draft and develop.  

• Like (+1) 6

A few things on this.

- I don't think the Jets would do it.  They have so many well-regarded vets that I think they take one more shot of trying to win with their core. Hellebuyck will remain be a huge part of that.

- If, however, they did make him available, there will be a dozen NHL teams interested.  The cost will be high.  I think for us to get him would take at least one piece that would really hurt.  We aren't getting him for Vegas 1st and Johnson or UPL and Florida's 1st.  It would cost multiple pieces and one or two them would be something that Adams would not give up like our first this year or Peterka or Krebs or Quinn.  Hellebuyck is a top 5 NHL goalie; one of only a handful of goalies that you can confidently say: "I know what I'm going to get from him".  The Jets are not moving him in a rebuild for our 8th and 9th best draft/prospect assets.  The cost might be Vegas's 1st, Peterka and Portillo.  Fans will say that's crazy and they would be right.  It's also why we won't be making such a trade.

- I like what Adams has done since the Krueger firing and I think we are on the right track. While I would be excited if we went out and acquired a goalie like Hellebuyck, such an acquisition would start the clock on Adams' future with the team.  The moment a GM acquires the player who changes the expectations from "we are building something here" to "we are in the hunt" is the moment that a GM starts the clock on being fired.  I don't say this cynically as I don't think Adams will have this front of mind this offseason; but I think we are another season away from this kind of "we are all in" move. 

• Like (+1) 4

Whether Hellebuyck is available, which I can accept he may not be, KA has to kick the tires on every proven goalie available.  He needs to call everyone and see what shakes out.  

I also agree he shouldn’t pay a king’s ransom for anyone.  A 1st and a prospect is as far as I’d go, but that would only be for a goalie with significant tread left on the tire.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, kas23 said:

Nope. I’ll roll my dice with UPL, Levi, or Portillo working out. This trade wouldn’t be a good example of asset allocation.

Absolutely agree with you!  UPL looked good when he was up with us and Levi looks phenomenal!  Portillo has always looked like a top NHL goalminder  ... this trade is being fomented by the podcasters!  We have such a promising trio of netminders and first round picks only build our future!

5 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

A few things on this.

- I don't think the Jets would do it.  They have so many well-regarded vets that I think they take one more shot of trying to win with their core. Hellebuyck will remain be a huge part of that.

- If, however, they did make him available, there will be a dozen NHL teams interested.  The cost will be high.  I think for us to get him would take at least one piece that would really hurt.  We aren't getting him for Vegas 1st and Johnson or UPL and Florida's 1st.  It would cost multiple pieces and one or two them would be something that Adams would not give up like our first this year or Peterka or Krebs or Quinn.  Hellebuyck is a top 5 NHL goalie; one of only a handful of goalies that you can confidently say: "I know what I'm going to get from him".  The Jets are not moving him in a rebuild for our 8th and 9th best draft/prospect assets.  The cost might be Vegas's 1st, Peterka and Portillo.  Fans will say that's crazy and they would be right.  It's also why we won't be making such a trade.

- I like what Adams has done since the Krueger firing and I think we are on the right track. While I would be excited if we went out and acquired a goalie like Hellebuyck, such an acquisition would start the clock on Adams' future with the team.  The moment a GM acquires the player who changes the expectations from "we are building something here" to "we are in the hunt" is the moment that a GM starts the clock on being fired.  I don't say this cynically as I don't think Adams will have this front of mind this offseason; but I think we are another season away from this kind of "we are all in" move. 

Having subpar goaltending for 3 straight seasons will also start the clock on a GM's firing. He needs to fix the goalie situation for next season.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, klos1963 said:

Having subpar goaltending for 3 straight seasons will also start the clock on a GM's firing. He needs to fix the goalie situation for next season.

This is generally true, but not likely the case here. I think ownership has been sold on a rebuild and being patient with our young goalies is likely part of that process. 

For clarity, I’m not suggesting we don’t need a goaltending upgrade. Just that there is a big gap between what we have and going out and getting a Connor Hellebuyck level goalie. 

2 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

This is generally true, but not likely the case here. I think ownership has been sold on a rebuild and being patient with our young goalies is likely part of that process. 

For clarity, I’m not suggesting we don’t need a goaltending upgrade. Just that there is a big gap between what we have and going out and getting a Connor Hellebuyck level goalie. 

I agree with you , I was just trying to make a point where the poster said that 'going all in' starts the clock too. That's part of the job, I think Adams has earned some trust and time, but I don't think it's wise to count on college players to jump to the NHL and guide the team to the playoffs. We need a 2 - 3 year bridge to the young kids.

• Like (+1) 1

If I have reason to believe Hellebuyck is happy to join us, the pick isn’t costing us Wright, Slavkovsky, Nemec, or Cooley, then absolutely.

He’s among the best goalies in hockey and should continue to be for another 6-8 years. He helps us now and down the road, we will have the cap space to re-sign him and the type of up and coming team that he should be happy to play for.

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

If I have reason to believe Hellebuyck is happy to join us, the pick isn’t costing us Wright, Slavkovsky, Nemec, or Cooley, then absolutely.

He’s among the best goalies in hockey and should continue to be for another 6-8 years. He helps us now and down the road, we will have the cap space to re-sign him and the type of up and coming team that he should be happy to play for.

That’s a question I have and maybe it was covered up thread but is there reason to believe he is available?

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

That’s a question I have and maybe it was covered up thread but is there reason to believe he is available?

Not that I’m aware. Think it’s pure speculation based on the state of the Jets.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.